1/35 coal burning truck

A

AJay

Thanks Jason and John, appreciate the comments :smiling3:

As this is my first full vehicle build (the maultier is still on hold), I'm using this as a test-bed for new techniques. Next up I'll be adding the Mig filter I've ordered. I've read it can be pretty harsh over acylic, so I've gone mad with the varnish to protect my base coat. Fingers crossed... Oh, forgot to mention, I've also had a go at colour modulation but it's very subtle. Not sure anyone would notice it so I've not done any pics.

First Name
Aaron
Hi Ajay i have a "thing" for ww2 trucks so i was quite chuffed to find this beauty of a blog.

This is looking fantastic so far as a red cross, Id like to do one ad a fieldkitchen one day.

Good on you for trying new tecniques out, Have you stumbled upon any that have changed the way you do things in future?

A

AJay

Thanks, Aaron!

Yes, I've learned a lot from this one. Next time I paint a cab I'd a/b the roof, top of the bonnet/hood, and the middles of the doors a lighter shade of the base colour to begin with. Oh, and I'd also do pre-shading over my primer to begin with. I've actually done the colour modulation now and I'm happy with it - it's very subtle, but doesn't look as stark and boring as a single-coloured base coat would otherwise be.

Last night I began nervously giving the cab a coat of Sin Industries filter. So far I've added two coats and cannot see any difference in the tonal values. I'll add one more coat later tonight and call the filter done. I think it maybe better to use this product on a camoflauge finish? Still, I'll give the product the benefit of the doubt at this point :smiling3:

First Name
Aaron
Good ideas there Alex, I brought migs water stains and i didnt notice the effect untill i did like 4 coats. I think its a good thing because it allows one to build up the effect.

Filtering is suppose to be subtle and im looking forward to an update of the "workhorse".

I wish i had pre shadowed over my primer for my current build but i didnt see it done on a afv untill recently.I like the overall effect preshading did.

It can also be done as modulation of the colours like adding light and dark to the base but you know that as youve been doing it lol.

A

AJay

Here's my latest update........ I used Sin Industries filter 'grey for dark yellow' for the first time (with questionable results). Over a matt varnish coat to protect the acrylic beneath, I gave the cab 3 liberal coats of the filter with plenty of inbetween drying time.

After that came a gloss varnish, and then the bit I'd been looking forward to - oil fading. It's a lot trickier than it looked on others' YouTube videos, but I'm hoping practice will improve my technique. I used faded U.N. white, faded dark yellow, buff and shadow brown.

View attachment 46934

View attachment 46936

View attachment 46937

View attachment 49920

View attachment 49922

View attachment 49923

wip1.jpg

wip2.jpg

wip3.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It looks to me that you have got those filters sorted. That looks great Alex.

Ian M

First Name
Aaron
Jeeze mate ya gotta be happy with that. This is looking fricken awesome.

I love everything about this, The overseas decal on the door is a nice touch.

M

mobear

this truck gets better and better each time you show us some more,all the rusty bits and weathered parts are just about right to me

mobear

T

tommy1drop

Have to agree with the rest of the lads Alex, this is a cracking build, I am really looking forward to seeing more.

Tom

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
thats looking amazing ajay the colour is spot on god bless oils...keep them pics coming

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Stunning weathering Alex. Think i will try some of the oils for my weathering Looking forward to the finished pictures

A

AJay

Here's my progress on the cargo deck............... :smiling3:

View attachment 47635

The Klear is finally dry and that means I can move on to some more weathering. Had I thought about it a bit more before starting this build, I'd have had the tailgate open. So, the lesson learned is, before my next build, ask myself:

1) Where?

2) When?

3) Story?

;)

View attachment 50542

WIP1.jpg

Last edited:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
done the same thing

1)why didn't I

2)i should have

3)f#@ f%@"!"

A

AJay

Cheers, mobear. A very easy but effective weathering process using oil paint - I'll definitely use it again :smiling3: