1/35 coal burning truck

A

AJay

A little progress with this build but a long way to go yet.

With this build I want to experiment with some advanced weathering techniques so will be trying a standard filter and also some dot filters (think this is the correct term) using oils. I'm a total newbie to this so you'll have to bear with me :smiling3: (note - I broke the mirror off, so that will be added later).

View attachment 45827

Excuse the poor quality photo. Just couldn't get the lighting right. Here's my truck as she stands now. the roof is completely white with a red cross.

View attachment 45828

And here's my chassis. I've done some weathering using the hairspray method; you can see I weathered through to bare plastic in some places so will have some touching up to do (ooo-er mrs!). I'm quite happy with the way it looks, but still have a lot more to do, especially on the engine (which won't even be seen!) Sadly there wasn't an option to have the bonnet or doors open, and I didn't have the guts to attempt opening them up and ruining the model; something for the future I think :smiling3:

View attachment 45830

And finally here's a photo of the red cross emblem applied. I chose to use squares for the white b/g as it was easier to mask. I found references to show some German vehicles (not may) did indeed use a square instead of a circle background. There was some bleed from the red but I'll clean that up later. The brightness will of course be dulled down by the weathering process .... well, that's the plan anyway.

View attachment 45829

More soon.....

View attachment 48888

View attachment 48889

View attachment 48890

View attachment 48891

Opel wip 1.jpg

Opel wip 2.jpg

Opel wip 5.jpg

Opel wip 4.jpg

Last edited:
M

mobear

ajay its awesome so far, the rust and bits on it truly inspired work

mobear

A

AJay

Thanks, Mobear! I normally spend 98% of my time researching thus my slow progress. I should learn a hell of a lot when this build is finished, all of which I intend to hopefully share with other less-experienced builders just like myself.

I should have tried some colour modulation while I was at it, but not sure my airbrush or my skills are quite up to it. I must admit, I'm loving modelling since getting back into it.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking good so far the rust and chipping effect and the chassis looks quality keep on trucking

geegad

M

mobear

yeah but your technique for painting is excellent,just take the bumper for one example the scuffs on it are awesome,you are an artist that trys to get the perfect amount of imagry for the viewer

mobear

T

tommy1drop

Hi Alex

Looking very good, excellent chipping on the chassis, looking forward to seeing more.

Tom

A

AJay

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Mobear, appreciate that you notice all the little details. I used a little hairspray on the bumpers, painted over them in white, then scrubbed off small sections with an old stiff brush that I'd cut down to a stub. It took a few attempts.

In hindsight, I reckon if I'd just used a coat of Klear hand-brushed over the dark yellow, had let it cure for a few days, then I'd have been able to paint the white and scrape it off with a dampened cocktail stick. There are so many ways - I find many successes are nothing more than happy accidents :smiling3:

M

mobear

i`m just starting to get into this hairspray thing,but i found one thats hand pumped so i have more control over it, but practice is out the window at the moment,on the plus side movement and power is so much better now,so to kick off at the weekend i`m gonna start lusty the aircraft carrier

mobear

C

CDW

Getting along nicely, the Red Cross theme looks good Alex.

Look forward to seeing updates on this.

A

AJay

Cheers, Colin! Will hopefully get to work on it some more this weekend.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Just catching up Alex and i must say it's coming on nicely mate. Can't wait to see more.

Have fun, John

M

mobear

looking fantastic ajay if i may add looks kinda perfect to me

mobear

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking top ajay its a shame that some of this is going to be lost when its all built you've done a cracking job

geegad