1/72 HMS Iron Duke - Type 23 Frigate

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Gary,
My apologies for chyming in so late in the build and what a way to come in with the news of your health. Sorry to hear about it and hope you get a slot for your Op soon. Really sounds serious.
Great to see the Duke taking to the water like a duck and congratulations on receiving the Simon T award.
Nice sunset picture with your better half, bet you enjoyed the trip. Haven't had the real deal Fish n Chips wrapped in paper and all, will have to try that some day.
Look forward to you getting better Gary and finish the detailing...won't want the crew falling in the pond now. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Wabble

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Hi Gary,
My apologies for chyming in so late in the build and what a way to come in with the news of your health. Sorry to hear about it and hope you get a slot for your Op soon. Really sounds serious.
Great to see the Duke taking to the water like a duck and congratulations on receiving the Simon T award.
Nice sunset picture with your better half, bet you enjoyed the trip. Haven't had the real deal Fish n Chips wrapped in paper and all, will have to try that some day.
Look forward to you getting better Gary and finish the detailing...won't want the crew falling in the pond now. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Wabble
Thanks Wabble for your kind comments on my build of The Duke, if you haven't had fish and chips wrapped in paper, you haven't lived yet. :smiling: for some reason they just taste better, especially sitting watching the sun set.
I have made a start on the railings so the crew should be safe.
Just seen this Garry hope things get sorted soon, hopefully you don't have to wait too long for treatment thoughts and wishes :smiling3:
Thanks Brian, very kind of you.
Cheers
Garry

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Garry how are you ? an anything more done on the i/d ?
chrisb

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
HI Garry how are you ? an anything more done on the i/d ?
chrisb
Hi Chris, I have only managed to get some of the railings done on Iron Duke,
There have been so many things going on, we have the builders doing some work on the house, and I have had to keep going in to the hospital (which is 20 miles away) for scans and tests etc. today I was in the anaesthetic assessment clinic to see whether they are happy for me to go ahead with surgery, and fortunately they are, so now it is up to the surgeon to set a date.
So all in I'm pretty happy, now I just need to get the builders out of the house and SWMBO will be happy, although she is the one who wanted the work done. ;)
ATB
Garry

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, I have only managed to get some of the railings done on Iron Duke,
There have been so many things going on, we have the builders doing some work on the house, and I have had to keep going in to the hospital (which is 20 miles away) for scans and tests etc. today I was in the anaesthetic assessment clinic to see whether they are happy for me to go ahead with surgery, and fortunately they are, so now it is up to the surgeon to set a date.
So all in I'm pretty happy, now I just need to get the builders out of the house and SWMBO will be happy, although she is the one who wanted the work done. ;)
ATB
Garry
OK Garry hope all goes well with the op let us guys know how you are
ATB
chrisb

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Here is a small update now that I have finished installing the hundreds of handrail stanchions, and then threaded 26 gauge stainless steel wire through 3 holes on each stanchion, and then CA everything in place.
This is just the deck section, I have also managed to get the superstructure hand rails done as well (photo another time).
After all that I don't think PE stanchions are the way to go in future, but needs must for the moment.
Excuse the mess, I'm trying to work alongside the builders.
ATB
Garry
IMG_1222.jpeg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Garry well done on the railings they look very good my freind as i used to use shark or tope steel wire to thread through my railing on my edinbourgh as it would give all the stanchions extra strenght an was very strong all round as when i was sailing her that the first thing people grabbed hold of to pull the ship into the pond edge but cant buy it now for some reason so on my tiger i had to use very thin brass rod that i bought from John's shop AN i must admit its not as good as the wire an bends quite easy but will see how i get on with it AN like Mick says hope your op goes ok as want to see more of I/D sailing under power
chrisb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just had a catch up Garry. First off I wish you all the best and hope the operation comes quickly and goes well.
As for the build, that just gets better and better. Great progress and everything is neat and sorted.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Railings look good Garry. Hope you get some news soon on when you can have your op. Take care.
Thanks Mick
HI Garry well done on the railings they look very good my freind as i used to use shark or tope steel wire to thread through my railing on my edinbourgh as it would give all the stanchions extra strenght an was very strong all round as when i was sailing her that the first thing people grabbed hold of to pull the ship into the pond edge but cant buy it now for some reason so on my tiger i had to use very thin brass rod that i bought from John's shop AN i must admit its not as good as the wire an bends quite easy but will see how i get on with it AN like Mick says hope your op goes ok as want to see more of I/D sailing under power
chrisb
Now that the stanchions and railing is CA'd it has become a bit more rigid, but I don't think it will take much rough handling.
Just had a catch up Garry. First off I wish you all the best and hope the operation comes quickly and goes well.
As for the build, that just gets better and better. Great progress and everything is neat and sorted.
Thanks Jim for your kind comments.

Update: I still have to have an Echocardiogram, and that is set for 13th July, so it will still be a while before the op date can be set.
Cheers
Garry

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for keeping us in the loop Garry........the railings look the bomb! :thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Garry just been lookin through your I/D build thread an i was sure you put on a pic of your hull upside down an where you have just fitted your new props on as i would like to see them up close but i cant find the pic ?
chrisb