Airfix 1/12 4.5 liter Bentley

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all, well I'm making a start on the Bentley today, first thin I notice that I'm a bit disappointed with is, when looking at the box art the front mud guard has not got much detail at all

View attachment 95339

View attachment 95340

as you can see I have a load of rivets and nuts to scratch.

IMAG2992.jpg

IMAG2995.jpg

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Looking forward to this one as mine was a old kit mouded in color witch made for an easyer build so it will be interesting to see the differences in the two.

Peter t

D

Deleted member 3568

Well so far the fit is awful peter and I've only just started will post some pics tomorrow but for a 80 quid I think it is a very bad kit, I think the moulds are probably the very same moulds as yours and worn over the years to be honest I think it's very bad of Airfix to still be using worn out moulds on what is supposed to be one of their premium kits, very, very disappointed.

D

Deleted member 3568

That looks great, and I've had a brilliant idea I have the airfix London icon set, what better than to have 2 British icons together I am going to hack the life guard up and have him getting into or driving the Bentley.

D

Deleted member 3568

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks like a bit off filling and sanding and she will look fine,:rolleyes: lucky its the back as well,will not real been seen,

thats good news,that it will be sold,grats ,

will be looking forward to next updates, ;)

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
\ said:
Checked that out it's dearer than the kit will use another method.here is where I am at the moment

View attachment 96561

View attachment 96562 View attachment 96563 View attachment 96564 View attachment 96565 View attachment 96566 View attachment 96567

I showed the kit to my boss and he said when its finished if it for sale he will buy it, he obviously will buy any old rubbish, But hey if hes paying it will get me another kit when this is done.
A tip if you are going to get another kit try and source a early kit as it is mouded in color and has more plated parts. Peter t

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice start Ken. I thought about getting this kit, so will watch just to see how it all goes together

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi guys and gals I need some advice as I said my boss has said he would buy this model when finished and I am going to use the Airfix icon set with it. There is a reason for this as he makes the boots for the household cavalry, among other of the Queens guards. This is the background I am going to build for it.

http://www.london24.com/news/quirky-london/dancing_guardsman_faces_fine_for_buckingham_palace_viral_video_1_3770473

I figured using other British icons like a telephone box or a post box obviously the post box would be easier but not sure how to incorporate them, I don't want to get this too big, so don't want to to get too elaborate. I will have the guard in his box the beefeater either standing by the door of the Bentley or getting in and the other one standing by the drivers door or also getting in. Suggestions please?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
sounds like a very good idea Ken,what i try to do is set a size and work to that as closely as possible

and as you wont the backround printed,would it fit in a A4, or more like a A3 ?

as that would have to be well over 400mm,

then work from there,but i like the sounds of the Queens guards, ;)

D

Deleted member 3568

No moni won't be printed my printer will only cope with A4 and the model is 365mm long so will be building the background.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh ,well maybe some think a little easier than the palace as the real challenge would be the light next to the box,

if you go for the second option,with a phone box,you could have a brick wall with some gates,and a bit of a cobble stone,street,? ;)

I think i have seen a Queens guard model ,maybe by airfix ? :rolleyes:

http://www.airfix.com/london-icons-gift-set-1-12.html

View attachment 95653

View attachment 95654

0018 09-Nov-14 02.31.jpg

British Telephone Booth-British Telephone Booth.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Yes that's right moni it is in the Airfix London icon set which is 1/12 same as the Bentley and that's what I'm using is the telephone box in the pic a model kit, if so what scale.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I am so cross(mostly with myself for not testing it first) I received some humbrol acrylic chrome in a spray can today, and, eager to try it out I did it straight on the bentley engine, it clearly says acrylic on the can, and I primed the engine with humbrol enamel so there should have been no problem, anyway I started spraying and thought this smells very much like celloluse paint.

View attachment 95716

now that is exactly the effect I would expect spaying cellulose on enamel not when spraying acrylic.

so now its getting the oven cleaner treatment, so take this as a warning.smell your paint first.

IMAG3054.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Leave it as the engine looks cast. Once highlighted it will look okay. Nice work Ken, a big beasty for sure. Like the idea too of having the British theme with the car.

Si:smiling3: