Andrew's Flickr Albums for your delectation - various themes and subjects

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So as you know I periodically upload albums where I have been to shows, events or museums.

There are some though that I have not shared and so rather than share those on individual threads and so I thought I would share them as one thread.

It then occurred to me that it might just be easier to have a single thread for all my Flickr albums in one place and so in the coming days/weeks I'll be sharing the links and a few taster shots here.

Some you will have seen before e.g. Tankfest but others not. I hope you enjoy them, as and when they appear.

Mods - I hope this is the right place. This thread will be multi-themed but is intended primarily for wider 'reference' purposes.

All the best.

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
why not post them in the relevant sections?
A couple of reasons, main one was to keep them in one place, the other is a couple are cross-themed and one doesn't fit the categories.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking forward to this Andrew.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Tankfest 2018

Ok, so this is the first of about a dozen albums I have collated on Flickr. I wasn't on here when I went to this with the whole family - on the hottest day of the year! It was also my first Tankfest, although as child/teenager I had been to a number of the annual open days they used to run out on the nearby ranges in the 1980s.

Below are some taster pics. You can find the full album HERE.

Hope you enjoy them.

ATB

Andrew

PS I'll upload more albums as and when I get some time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolls Royce armoured car, I think from 1921?

The only remaining prototype of the US T14 Assault tank brought over for trials in the war. The other stayed in the US and was scrapped.

I believe this is the world's only running Char B1

A privately owned Famo(?) pulling the Tank Museum's very own Pak 43

US M103 - not small!!

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Rolls Royce armoured car, I think from 1921?
I’m far from an expert on the type, but I think it’s a later model, going mainly by the solid (rather than wire-spoked) wheels anyway.

The only remaining prototype of the US T14 Assault tank brought over for trials in the war. The other stayed in the US and was scrapped.
Part of me wants to build a model of that … and of the M7 medium :smiling3:

A privately owned Famo(?) pulling the Tank Museum's very own Pak 43
This is a late-model Sd.Kfz. 7, an 8-tonne halftrack; “Famo” normally refers to the larger Sd.Kfz. 9 18-tonne one. The gun, BTW, is an 8,8 cm PaK 43/41 (German guns kind of need the calibre mentioned in referring to them, because they could have the same number for different calibers).

US M103 - not small!!
M103A2, to be precise. And you can build this one in 1:35 soon thanks to Trumpeter — see a recent post in the Spots on the Internet thread.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting Char B. That’s not the display one is it….the display one has remnants of the original paint on it. It doesn’t look as pristine.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I’m far from an expert on the type, but I think it’s a later model, going mainly by the solid (rather than wire-spoked) wheels anyway.

Part of me wants to build a model of that … and of the M7 medium :smiling3:

This is a late-model Sd.Kfz. 7, an 8-tonne halftrack; “Famo” normally refers to the larger Sd.Kfz. 9 18-tonne one. The gun, BTW, is an 8,8 cm PaK 43/41 (German guns kind of need the calibre mentioned in referring to them, because they could have the same number for different calibers).

M103A2, to be precise. And you can build this one in 1:35 soon thanks to Trumpeter — see a recent post in the Spots on the Internet thread.

Hi Jakko

I must admit I was posting this from 4+ year old memories. Turns out we're both wrong re the armoured car, it was built in 1920! See HERE.

As for the 'Famo'....whilst I can tell the difference between an SdKfz 250 and 251, when it comes to the German 'softskin' type tows and transport halftracks I am awful!

Interesting Char B. That’s not the display one is it….the display one has remnants of the original paint on it. It doesn’t look as pristine.

Hi Tim

Indeed not. I remember them saying it had been brought over from France, I think Samur, especially for the event. They actually had problems with it on the day I recall and am not sure if it ran as much as they hoped.

Thanks for stopping by both.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden, Bedfordshire (October 2021)​

Hi all

So this is one I have shared previously for those that missed it first time around. As I said, I'm just collating them all in one place for ease.

You can find the original post here and the full album here.

If anyone wants a particular picture then please let me know.

ATB.

Andrew

-------------------------------------------------------

Nice house!!

The name is Bond, James Bond.....

The world's oldest flying plane, a 1909 Bleriot.

Not all about planes....or military.....

Have to have a Spitfire - Mk Vc.

Nice grounds too.....

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
London & extras (10th-11th July 2021)

Hi all

So the next album in this collection. I have not shared this one previously, so there will be more pics than with the other albums.

We had a couple of days in London for my wife's birthday in July 2021 and went to the Tower of London on the first day, which is where most of the pics were taken. There are a few pics from a walk along the Thames we took on the second day.

Whilst a lot of the exhibits are obviously very old, the Tower also hosts the museum of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, founded in 1685 and still in service I believe, so there are some more modern exhibits. The Regimental Headquarters and the Officers' Mess are also in the same building.

The full album can be found here. As always, feel free to let me know if you want any of the full sized pictures.

All the best.

Andrew

***Apologies for the quality of some pictures but the lighting and glass display cases didn't make it easy in some cases.

-------------------------------------------------------

The centre of the Tower, the White Keep
Construction apparently started around 1078 (give or take) and was finished by 1100 (although no one is absolutely certain from what I can gather), making it over 900 years old.

Some of the older exhibits

Newer exhibits and The Fusilier Museum

And of course right next to the museum....

Took these the next day....
The war memorials are behind the main Ministry of Defence building IIRC. An oft forgotten conflict in the case of the first one.

And of course, HMS Belfast...albeit we didn't go on it this time...
Still hard to believe she was only officially a light cruiser due to 'only' having 6" guns, as opposed to 8" on heavy cruisers (floaty experts, please correct me if I am wrong on this point!!)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good stuff Andrew. Looks like a great day was had by all.

Light (armoured) cruisers of the period were defined by the London Naval Treaty of 1930 as having no greater than six inch armament. Anything armed with bigger guns was known as a heavy (armoured) cruiser and the maximum numbers available to a nation were limited by the treaty.

A cruiser was expected to be able to operate independently of a fleet and defeat anything except battleships, which it could out run.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew thanks for posting. Some really nice pics.
Nice pics. :thumb2:
Thanks for sharing.
Good stuff Andrew. Looks like a great day was had by all.

Light (armoured) cruisers of the period were defined by the London Naval Treaty of 1930 as having no greater than six inch armament. Anything armed with bigger guns was known as a heavy (armoured) cruiser and the maximum numbers available to a nation were limited by the treaty.

A cruiser was expected to be able to operate independently of a fleet and defeat anything except battleships, which it could out run.
Just noticed this thread, Andrew.
It's a very good idea and thank you for posting.

Scottie, Rick, Paul, Tim - a very belated thank you and you're welcome.

Andy - a much more timely thank you!!

Tim - thanks for the background info. Knew it was linked to a sort of arms control treaty obut couldn't remember the details. I do remember checking some facts a while ago and Belfast was quite a bit heavier (in tonnage terms) than many of the older heavy cruisers given that she was not subject to the same restrictions as I understand it.

Thanks again guys!

ATB

Andrew