Andrew's Flickr Albums for your delectation - various themes and subjects

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Queens Platinum Jubilee (Newport Pagnell) (4th June 2022)

So this is one I have not shared before.

By way of introduction, Newport Pagnall is now a small town that pre-exits the foundation of the much larger and adjoining 'new city' of Milton Keynes (where I live) by at least 900 years (if Wikipedia is to be believed), and is first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086.

In short they ran what was billed as 1940s themed street party with stalls, food and the like. There were also vehicle and other displays in a car park and on land just off the high street, some which included reenactors and vehicles from World War II (plus one very modern imposter) and the rest classic cars. There was also a band.

The weather was pretty poor when we were there and so we didn't hang around for too long. This turned out to be a VERY bad idea because it meant we missed a Spitfire fly past later in the day we didn't know about.

As I've not shared this before, I'll post more pics than usual for this thread.

You can find the full album here.

ACW as usual.

All the best.

Andrew

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And in many ways, my personal favourite....

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thank you again for posting.
Just a question: pic #1 on the Shuttleworth Model Show full album: it's resin or moulded plastic? :rolling: :smiling4:

Coat and umbrella, please.:tongue-out3:

No definitely the real 1:1......:smiling2:

After all it is necessary to properly prepare oneself for the arduous test that is a small model show in a great little museum!!! ;) :smiling5:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
What a great collection of photos Andrew. Really interesting places to visit. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Sorry missed you're reply!

And no problem at all. You have all been very supportive since I joined and given that I still have long way to go modelling-wise compared to many on here, it's one of my ways of giving something back.

All the best.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Tankfest 2022 (25th June 2022)

So it's been a while since I have updated this thread and it also turns out that I don't think I have shared this particular album before.

As most of you know by now Tankfest has become something of annual pilgrimage for Junior and I, and if I'm honest he just likes the two of just to get away together. As this was our second year on the trot, there aren't many shots of the inside of the museum.

So as usual, below is just a small selection of the photos I took and you can find the full album here.

ACW as usual.

All the best.

Andrew

PS apologies but I don't have a great zoom lens on our decent camera. :sad-face:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of former Israeli so called 'Super-Shermans'

Some shots of the big US tank transporter from the war.

A 'few' Cold War tanks

A video extract from the WW2 'battle' they had.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hurst Castle (23rd August 2022)

So another one that I have not shared before.

Good friends of ours moved down to the not so new New Forest*** (southern England BTW for those not from the UK ) during lockdown and we went to see them August of last year. Whilst there we visited Hurst Castle on the Solent.

This is not your traditional castle, for want of a better phrase, in which a member of the nobility might have lived. Rather it was originally built by Henry VIII in the 1540s as a fortification designed to protect the western approaches of the Solent and the naval dockyards at Portsmouth.

It did stand empty for a while in the 1700s before being 'reopened' at the start of the Napoleonic wars. It was then in continuous military service until the end of the Second World War.

Unfortunately it is on a very exposed and unstable spit of land and one wing of the 'newer' Victorian upgrade has partially collapsed due to coastal erosion

As usual a sample of the photos I took are below with the the full album HERE.

You can also find more information on the castle here:

ACW as usual.

All the best.

Andrew

*** For those not aware, the not so new New Forest was established by William the Conqueror as a royal hunting ground in approx. 1079.

--------------------------------------------------------

Some outside shots

The original Henry VIII part

Some of the more 'modern' sections....

The damage caused by coastal erosion

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Interesting, that looks to me like a fairly early M24, without the attachment points for the floatation pontoons on the bow, and, I think, even without the bullet deflector around the ventilator on the turret roof.

A post-war T-34-85 (angled mudguards rather than rounded ones).

A couple of former Israeli so called 'Super-Shermans'

The blue-grey one is an M50, the sand-coloured one is an M51. (Israel named its Shermans after the designation of the main gun: the standard American version with 76 mm gun was called the “M1” after its M1A1 gun, these two are named after the French 75 mm Mle. 50 and 105 mm Mle. 51 guns with which they were upgunned.)

Some shots of the big US tank transporter from the war.

That’s the American M26 tank recovery vehicle. If there’s an M15 tank trailer behind it, the combination is the M25 tank transporter.

German Panzerjäger 38 (t), popularly AKA “Hetzer” — but not called that during the war.

American 76-mm gun motor carriage M18, popularly AKA “Hellcat” — but again, nobody called it that during the war, except the manufacturer’s advertising department (literally: there are adverts that show it with that name).

A 'few' Cold War tanks

In the foreground is some T-72 variant, but don’t ask me to say which because that’s one big quagmire ;) In the background, from left to right: M60A3, CVR(T) Scorpion or Scimitar (impossible to say which from this angle, with the gun out of sight), AMX-13 (probably with 105 mm gun), Centurion with 105 mm gun (exact variant again hard to say from this angle and distance), Panzer 68, and Leopard 1A5. There is another vehicle in the distance, beyond the CVR(T), but I can‘t make out what it is — maybe the M24 from earlier?

That’s the AMX-13 again, but it has a bit of an odd muzzle brake.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Some nice photos there Andrew. Unfortunately Flickr and I fell out a few years ago, so I don't post there anymore.
Pete

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for sharing. Good pics.

Andy,
Some great pics thank you.
Superb - best memory jogs ever! Thanks for sharing mate!
Steve
Just off to change my t-shirt, it's soaked in drool...
Steve
Nice pics. Andy....always good to see they get these beasts out for an "airing" at least once a year! :thumb2:
Some nice photos there Andrew. Unfortunately Flickr and I fell out a few years ago, so I don't post there anymore.
Pete

Thanks gents! There's not much I can tell most of you that you do not already know, so I look at this as my way of giving back!

Steve - drooling, I mean really! You're not that old are you!?!? :tongue-out3:

Pete - I must admit I mostly use Flickr as online backup. I originally got an account when I was on forums that you had to use an image hosting site to share you pictures on and Photobucket threw their toys out of the pram and started charging stupid money!

Thanks again.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting, that looks to me like a fairly early M24, without the attachment points for the floatation pontoons on the bow, and, I think, even without the bullet deflector around the ventilator on the turret roof.

A post-war T-34-85 (angled mudguards rather than rounded ones).

The blue-grey one is an M50, the sand-coloured one is an M51. (Israel named its Shermans after the designation of the main gun: the standard American version with 76 mm gun was called the “M1” after its M1A1 gun, these two are named after the French 75 mm Mle. 50 and 105 mm Mle. 51 guns with which they were upgunned.)

That’s the American M26 tank recovery vehicle. If there’s an M15 tank trailer behind it, the combination is the M25 tank transporter.

German Panzerjäger 38 (t), popularly AKA “Hetzer” — but not called that during the war.

American 76-mm gun motor carriage M18, popularly AKA “Hellcat” — but again, nobody called it that during the war, except the manufacturer’s advertising department (literally: there are adverts that show it with that name).

In the foreground is some T-72 variant, but don’t ask me to say which because that’s one big quagmire ;) In the background, from left to right: M60A3, CVR(T) Scorpion or Scimitar (impossible to say which from this angle, with the gun out of sight), AMX-13 (probably with 105 mm gun), Centurion with 105 mm gun (exact variant again hard to say from this angle and distance), Panzer 68, and Leopard 1A5. There is another vehicle in the distance, beyond the CVR(T), but I can‘t make out what it is — maybe the M24 from earlier?

That’s the AMX-13 again, but it has a bit of an odd muzzle brake.

Thanks Jakko! Thought one of the Shermans was the M50 and the other the M51 but it was last year. Actually first came across the concept when I bought a board wargame by a US company called Avalon Hill, called 'Israeli Wars'.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Fenland and Spalding show 2022 (18th September 2022)

So yet another one that I have not shared before....I really was slacking last year!

You will have seen many of these already from last year, when John and other's shared them, so I won't repeat too many.

The the full album is HERE.

All the best.

Andrew

--------------------------------------------------------

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So to bring albums from 2022 to a close, a handful of the 276 photos I took as IMPS Scale Model World 2022 in Telford no particular order!!

But as usual too many too share and so I did the usual album on Flickr - link HERE.

All the best.

Andrew

---------------------------------------------------------

The show map

Hall 1

Hall 2

Hall 3

A sample of the finished articles!!!

As you can imagine, this got a lot of interest.............

Our club secretary is currently scratch-building building all three TOG prototypes......the tracks are 3D printed as are some other parts e.g. exhausts. He's currently working on TOG II.

And just proving you can have fun in this hobby!!

This was definitely one of the more interesting groups and not a concept I'd come across before.

Even almost a year on, still one of my favourites!!

Last edited: