boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You've made the tail hinge work as well? Incredible! :surprised:
Pete
HI Pete yea but its not correct should fold right around but im thinking its the plastic kit thickness that stopping it so i may have a go at slighty burring down the plastic edges an see if thats makes any differnce
an cheers for your nice comment
chrisb

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
cheers Gary but im not happy with how far that tail swings round not far enough but as i said to Pete above i may be able to get around it
cheers
Chris
I understand your frustration Chris, however in the big scheme of things, does it really matter? It's not like you will want to remotely open and close the tail section is it? I assume it's only because it should do it, therefore it must do it.
It will in no way detract from your model, which is amazing.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Next you'll have the rotor blades folding!
Pete
WELL Pete now you mentione it i did have that intenshion as i have bought some tiny nuts an bolts so that the rotars could fold up an then when the motor starts up the blades would swing out by g forces but i gave the idea a miss as i want to finish this ship in my lifetime lol
chrisb

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I understand your frustration Chris, however in the big scheme of things, does it really matter? It's not like you will want to remotely open and close the tail section is it? I assume it's only because it should do it, therefore it must do it.
It will in no way detract from your model, which is amazing.
WELL Cheers for that Gary thats calmed me down a bit
THANKS maybe i do try to hard as again as jen said but i havnt given up on it yet i'll have another look at it tomorrow to see what stoppin it from goin right up
chris b

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thinking practically, is the restriction perhaps due only to the stiffness of the wrapped wires?
IM afraid not Garry its to do with the plastic kit sides im sure but will have a study as you say the stiffness of the wires may not help so its under investigation lol
chris b

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
OK Chris, I had another look at the pic, and I think that as the hinge is mounted on the inside, as you said, the thickness of the body plastic is restricting the movement, tbh the only way you will get the tail to fold back fully is for the hinge to be mounted on the outside of the body, or for the hinge to be altered to an L shape with the actual hinging part to be stuck through the gap in the bodywork so that it clears the body and the hinging moment is outside. Almost like a reversed parliament hinge mounted from the inside.
Just my thoughts :smiling2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Chris,

I've said this many times already but this is really is a whole different level of 'modelling'. There's the basic modelling, there's the engineering and there's the electrics/electronics.....so much more than sticking some bits of plastic together.

This really is the most amazing build I've seen since coming back to the hobby and I've seen some very good builds.

Keep up the great work.

Andrew

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Brilliant stuff Chris. Love the Sea King and the moving rotors. Seeing all this stuff happening on the water will be a real treat!
Plenty of work (I’m sure) before then but it’s all very exciting.

Cheers
p

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,

I've said this many times already but this is really is a whole different level of 'modelling'. There's the basic modelling, there's the engineering and there's the electrics/electronics.....so much more than sticking some bits of plastic together.

This really is the most amazing build I've seen since coming back to the hobby and I've seen some very good builds.

Keep up the great work.

Andrew
WELL Many thanks Andrew for your kind words an if you like it then im happy but i want to see if i can do better
chrisb ps hope you both feeling better

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OK Chris, I had another look at the pic, and I think that as the hinge is mounted on the inside, as you said, the thickness of the body plastic is restricting the movement, tbh the only way you will get the tail to fold back fully is for the hinge to be mounted on the outside of the body, or for the hinge to be altered to an L shape with the actual hinging part to be stuck through the gap in the bodywork so that it clears the body and the hinging moment is outside. Almost like a reversed parliament hinge mounted from the inside.
Just my thoughts :smiling2:
YES Garry i see what you mean about the hinge an ive already give that idea a miss of a hinge on the out side but your idea has merit but im tryin not to mess up the detail on the fusalarge if possible so im gonna try an round off the edges an see if that helps
but cheers for your ideas
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Talk about going the extra mile
HI KEN well ive had this idea in my mind for months an im not about to give up on it if i can help it but TBH im fairly happy that ive got it as far as i have according to jen its a model not the real thing an i suppose she is right
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Brilliant stuff Chris. Love the Sea King and the moving rotors. Seeing all this stuff happening on the water will be a real treat!
Plenty of work (I’m sure) before then but it’s all very exciting.

Cheers
p
HI Pual glad you are likeing what you see but i like to try an make things work as you say its more exciting
chrisb