Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Yes that was probably me that voted for it ! but i seem to remember someone commenting that there werent more airliners modelled , maybe a chance to right the balance? The historical figure idea cuts it down a bit , not many kits to choose from , any figure from before WW1 gives a lot more options. I dont think we've had a Car build have we? I know weve had WW1 before (2012 i think) tony
We had a car build dec2011 and had a storm of TWO people take part....

We had a Space build as well that did better...

April 2012 we had six biplanes and a tank in a WWI GB.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I'd go for that ... Are you talking about making it RC capable ?
That would be up to you... If you want to and SWMBO allows you to then no problem.

Right then Back to work

So far I have divided the suggestions up into Group build and theme builds.

There are 11 GB candidates, and 10 Themed build candidates.. PLUS three SIG and three maybe four Super SIG ideas....

What the............ I can hear you all groan.

The GB builds are more specific

The Theme builds more open minded.

I think we know what the SIG, are about. Very specific and a bit more time.

Super SIG?!?!

As it has been pointed out, there are Three anniveraries next year. WWI, Arnhem and D-day. Plus the idea I had about the boat thing.

I had though that these could all run at the same time and for the whole year. Remember that you don't have to take part in all or any of them.

I don't really think we need any more suggestions but if you have one that is really good, post it and it can get on the lists.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
We had a car build dec2011 and had a storm of TWO people take part....We had a Space build as well that did better...

April 2012 we had six biplanes and a tank in a WWI GB.

Ian M
Not having much luck am I ....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Gentlemen I think I will close this thread for further suggestions but will welcome some debate of the subjects on the list.

We must remember that the more choices to vote for the harder it is to pick and the votes get very thin.

The good news is that the new forum software the polls can have a lot more posts than before. So there will, with luck only need to be two polls. One for the GB and one for the themed builds.

Ian M

A

AJay

Lots of great ideas, guys! Forgive me if my ideas are just repeats.......

1) A 'what-if' build, including Luft '46, paper panzers, etc

2) Something with animals such as horse riders, mine detecting dogs and their handlers...............

3) Something from the recent Middle Eastern troubles (not sure if that's moral as it's still going on.........is it?)

4) Trains or something on rails such as armoured wagons, etc

5) Spanish Civil War - lots of possibilities for aircraft and armour

6) WW1 scene, tank, figure, plane, ship, sub

7) Korean War - armour/aircraft

8) Vietnam - armour

9) Battle of the Atlantic - ships, subs, recon-aircraft, etc

10) captured vehicles in service with prior enemies (e.g. Russian Tiger I, German T-34) - endless possibilities.

11) Improvised fighting vehicles - like the pick-ups with massive anti-aircraft guns in the back

BTW, I like the strange aircraft build some suggested.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Warning a long and possibly boring post, but please read...

I will attempt to do a quick run through of the suggested builds and a few thoughts and ideas about them.

First, those which I have earmarked as Group builds:

1. Build a building Objective is simple. build a model of a building. Your own house, a house in the town, the town church?
    The suggestion came with the idea it be a historical building: a church, castle manor house.... Just not a ruin. Any scale any materials
  2. maintenance . A diorama of a maintenance scene. Be it a military or civilian scene. Tanks, trucks, aircraft or boat as long as its being repaired, or refuelled or rearmed.
  3. Horse Power. If it is on a horse, pulled by a horse, even just horse powered. As long as the horse is the centre of focus. Get the idea?
  4. The resistance. Partisans fighting for what they believe and not what the politicians tell them to. Any form of partisans but no terrorists please!
  5. A Braille scale challenge. A good idea for both a GB and a SIG. Any feedback on that would be well recieved. Basically a build where the scale is set to a maximum of 1/72
    Either a Single item or a diorama. I think an diorama is called for here...Any subject suggestions....? I say OPEN to any thing.
  6. Japanese WWII aircraft. We haven't had one of these in a GB so a good idea!!! Any scale any make. Loads of weather and paint effects...
  7. Elite soldiers. I imagine that this would be a pure figure build. No doubt there will be some that would want to do a dio with vehicles and all that
  8. Railway, Be it a loco, a shunter, a good train, war time peace time. Any Railway transport. I will though say that Railway guns should not be in on this. An armed train yes.
  9. Build a boat, I have also suggested this as a Super 12 month project, but am aware that that will not be every ones cup of tea. So also here as an Ordinary GB. In short any form of boat
    I believe the originator said sail boat, but feel more interest will come if any form of boat. What are your thoughts?
  10. A Rally car. Like them clean like them dirty. Her is the place to go mad with both mud and wax!
  11. Desert anybody? A desert war. Just not the usual ones. Something pre WW one.
If you have some feed back/ comments, just give the number and your comments.

Ian M

P

Polux

Hi Ian!

Can I ask some questions please?

Which are your ideas for the SIG? I can't imagine...

And the last one... I like it very much the Super SIG!!

At first time think you want to do a WWI....not the boat one :smiling3: , so I will ask it equal!

I think it has to be rules on that one... With one year, you can do a plane with two weeks and say: this plane that take part on the battle, is beatiful, isn't it? :eek:

We must do a specific diorama, or specific number of models...

Thanks for all your time, to do all this forum go on!!

PS: there are many suggestions lost on the way...this are the 'official' ones?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Part 2 the themed builds.

1. Not what was in the box Build a conversion. Take a kit and build it into some thing else. I don't mean build a kit airlpane and turn it into a submarine. I mean for example, build a kit of a sedan and convert it to a pick up. A Flat bed into a tank truck. (petrol tanker)
  2. A Historical figure. Not as per a known person from History, more in a time line meaning. By historical I would say from before World war one just to set a cut off date.
  3. Any chance of a lift. Build any form of transport that is a crane. i.e. its the crane its self that is the reason for the vehicle. A crane truck is more like it. A lorry with a pallet lifter is a bit to easy.
  4. Underground literally. We are talking tunnels here. Charly in the Jungle tunnels, digging the Chunnel....
  5. One Ugly Bird. No not a figure build an aircraft build only one problem define an ugly aircraft.
  6. I'm a movie star CAR Build a car, civil or service (but a CAR) that has been in the movies...
  7. A float plane. Or flying boat if you rather. Just as long as its a flying thing that lands and takes off from the water.
  8. irobot No not a robot built by apple. One built by you. NO it don't need to work but if you want it to......
  9. Big Brother. Steady Dave not the TV "show" The eye in the sky. the ear on the wall
  10. Historical Weapons. Ballista, weird fire breathing Chinese cannons.... Ancient armour.
So Any comments and feed back well received.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The SIG builds.

1. The English Electric Lightning. Any scale. As much detail as you care to pack into it. (note the special bit in the title).
  2. The Harrier. You know the jump jet.
  3. The FAA/NAS Any aircraft that has been in the service of the Fleet air arm or Naval Air Service.
More suggestions are very welcome. Some with out wings maybe?

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Super SIG 12 months of build time!! Yeah!

1. World war one.
  2. Arnhem
  3. D-day.
  4. Build a boat.
Three anniversaries and a jump start to would be boaters.

As mentioned. All will run you chose the one or those you wish to join. Go mad and make your lifes diorama or that boat you have always dreamed of.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
My last four posts are NOT a vote/poll. Purely for discussion.

Ian M

P

Polux

Oh my God!! I do it again... :sad:

Sorry Ian, I write before you!

My excuses...

C

CDW

Group builds ... Varied ... Nice.

The building one might run better if its fine tuned to historic architecture ? Whether it be a real building or a made up one ... Just think building your own house is a bit flat ... Unless you live in a church or castle :smiling3:

Themed builds ... Excellent widespread topics.

SIG ... Just aircraft at the mo ... Definitely needs variety ... I'm a little lost to suggest anything at the mo, sorry.

Super SIG .... Nice worthy choices ..... And a boat option !! :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
There's lots here that light my lemon. Trains, Arnhem, buildings, maintenance and Jap aircraft all line up nicely with the contents of my stash. The S.I.G is looking a bit one dimensional as you say. Hmmm?

P

Polux

\ said:
The building one might run better if its fine tuned to historic architecture ? Whether it be a real building or a made up one ... Just think building your own house is a bit flat ... Unless you live in a church or castle :smiling3:
Which is exactly your idea Colin! I like very much your idea, but have some questions...

100% scratch build or can buy a kit ? (I don't know why...but I know the response :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: )

Can do, for example, old fortress of the war, emblematic castles or similar?

P

Polux

I don' have any suggestion yet Ian...

But I'm with Colin...the SIG needs more variety :eek:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Oh my God!! I do it again... :sad: Sorry Ian, I write before you!

My excuses...
No worries. It did take rather a long time to write that lot!!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Colin. I can go with historic No worry. I have a load of granite in the garden.. Stone henge :smiling3:

SIG. builds. Well what are YOUR special area's of interest Rick, Polux, anybody...And remember it needs to be fairly tight and not some thing like WWII or Tanks.

Oh heres one, What about one for Valentine tanks... I like those. All Mk's and versions built off them....

Ian M

P

Polux

I like the idea of the Valentines....

But the most I like, Ian, is the new 'system', no need to search for ten members to go up with it!!! ;)