Building a Diorama.

R

rjwood_uk

looks lovely so far deakon! what colour do you paint your barbed wire? will you add a rust effect to it at all?

D

deakon

ill paint it in mild steel..then rust it up..with baking soda. and my real rust formula.. I think.. ill remake the barbed wire..it looks slightly out of scale..its possibly the thickness of the posts that make the wire look offscale..it looks good ..just a tad on the big side to my eyes..and if it dosent look right it probably isnt!! Ho Hum...so this time ill use four strands instead of six. to make the lengths and ill look for some thinner wire stock for the posts..at least I know what im doing this morning.....D.....

B

Bunkerbarge

I know I may be dumb and missing something here but have you posted a picture of the barbed wire?

I can't see it anywhere and when I thought you were referring to it all I could see was a picture of the base.

Please put me out of my misery.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Richard,you can see the effective barbed wire on posting#35

D

deakon

today..wed...i put together the barbed wire around the flak emplacement,

and then made the retainers for the far bank out of twisted copper wire.. i superglued this along the planking and drilled, a small hole either side of the wire..and made staples for these from lead wire.. these again were superglued in place, as you can see the barbedwire on this side is definatly out of scale, ill remake some more tommorow..and use thinner wire for the supports...

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

im not sure which vehicle ill use.. but i suppose its a moot point really!.

tommorow ill start to lay down the river bed..ill decide then when its time to bed the tracks in..then ill make a start on the tree.......D....

IMAG0001.jpg

J

Johnny

That is looking really good!

Too bad not all the pics shows up.....

D

deakon

Hmmm all the pics show up for me ?.. although i have been experiencing

problems with photobucket...

J

Johnny

The pics in your last post shows, but most of the others are getting this message from photobucket.

scalehl0.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

If I go back through your thread now I get a lot of the same icons that Johnny shows.

Photobucket does not seem to be reliable enough with links within threads.

M

maxidad66

Indeed, I just wanted to catch up with this thread after not visiting for a while. Almost all the pics are gone. Can these be replaced? It is very frustrating as I was really looking forward to seeing this project step-by-step.

D

deakon

ok ill sort something out and repost the piccies..sorry all i had not realised..

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Photobucket have detected the linking and removed them.

D

deakon

righto its been a while since my last update..but i got loads done...so lets go.

IMAG0004.jpg

here we see some of the groundwork ill use..the green stuff is a real moss that grows on my back doorstep!.. i sliced it off with a large pallet knife..next to that are some bunches of a wild grass that also grows in the backyard.. i wrapped wire around the ends to keep them together..they tend to get very brittle as they dry..but a soaking in diluted white glue should toughen them up..

IMAG0005.jpg

these are bristles from a 99p makeup brush..they are a really nice twotone brown and black and will make excellent long grass/river weed it was a thick brush and it gave me plenty of bristles..

IMAG0003-1.jpg

i made the tree armature from twisted lengths of copper wire that i salvaged from a load of coax i have in the shed..i borrowed this technique from a book i read..its my first attempt at moddeling a tree i usually dig up sapling roots..also you can see the talus and rock debris. ive added.. again from the backyard..this was fixed in place with white glue

IMAG0015.jpg

here ive covered the frame of the tree with plaster it takes a while to build up the plaster i dried off every coat with a hairdrier..then added more .it gets painted on with an old housebrush..

photobucket has just closed for emergency maintainence!! back soon....D...

R

rjwood_uk

this is looking amazing. i have never attempted making a tree like that either but have read a few articles. the moss is going to add a nice touch. will it not loose its colour though?

D

deakon

white glue and copperwire indespensable items in diorama making.. ill also paint it and seal it with laquer so it wont loose its colour.

Last edited:
D

deakon

right here ive cut and placed the moss onto the rockface and the groundwork

again ontop of a good helping of WG..this was pressed down and smoothed around the edges..ive also placed some of the grass sprays by drilling holes and pushing them in..

IMAG0010.jpg

here ive added some talus and rock debris i also painted the retaning wall dark earth. and the wire a rusty brown,, a dark oil wash was used all over except on the moss

IMAG0016.jpg

i covered the tree with plaster this was painted on with an old brush..and dried off between coats with a hairdrier..once it was dry, i carved some bark effect into it with a dental tool. it was given a dark oil wash and left to dry.then i used superglue and bicarbonate of soda to simulate moss growth on the branches and trunk.

IMAG0001-1.jpg