Building a Diorama.

D

deakon

here ive sprayed the emplacement.matt white.. and added some of the bristles as long grass..

IMAG0013.jpg

here ive given the emplacement a basecoat of dark grey..and added moss onto the groundwork.in and around the tall grass..

IMAG0018.jpg

here ive given the emplacement a dark oil wash and drybrushed in lightened grey basecoat..rusting was added to the ladder rungs..

IMAG0021.jpg

i drilled several holes in the base of the retaining wall and pushed in some dyed human hair for the river weed..most of this will be underwater with some climbing the wall..

IMAG0003-2.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

I can't believe how quickly it has become transformed. The hair really does the job nicely and doesn't look harsh like a lot of media can.

D

deakon

here is a full pic of dio.. after all the goundwork is inplace..green oil washes were used on the moss and more dark washes over most everything else..
IMAG0005-1.jpg

here ive added yellow to the grass sprays..they look kinda like tulips..worth keeping in mind for another project..

IMAG0007-1.jpg

and finally tonight here ive used good ol WG. which i painted on the branches then i used a woodland scenics green flock for foliage..i repeated this untill i had enough on the branches without ovedoing it..then a green oil wash was applied over the top... i cut a hole in the groundwork and fixed the tree in place with ....wait for it...... 5 min epoxy.....[lol]..then more washes were added over the whole dio..

IMAG0006-1.jpg

R

rjwood_uk

what will you cover the front side (the bits where you can see the poloystirene blocks) with? also will you paint or stain the wood?

sorry for so many Q's. I guess you are leaving the water part a secret lol.

D

deakon

ill cover them up with some plywood and veneer dont worry nothing orrible will be visible..and ill use a woodstain to marry everything together..and as im bound to leave the water till last..sorry but youll have to wait ...no biggie i just dont want to retype..there what i would here...

N

Nigel.D

Marty !!! Hats off to you mate now that is a quite superb example of a diorama !! You are truly a master of the art!!!!!

D

deakon

Oh dear Blush.....hahahaha you havent seen it close up mate..most of the pics look like they were taken underwater...but im glad youre impressed.....

B

Bunkerbarge

Marty, Don't put yourself down. It's agreat example to us all of just how a bit of practical imagination can open up a whole new level, of modelling realism.

I think this is brilliant and is going to look superb when completed.

N

new to trains

what a great thread !- if anyone needs any rocks for a diarama like Marty has used from his yard- i can supply, i have made moulds from some lovely bits of stone to make rock faces and stuff for railway layouts, these can be cast in hydrocal and then coloured to suit your diarama..... also brick walls, concrete walls, and similar, all castings from moulds..... primarily made for use on model railways but they have uses elsewhere....

also have one or two of the 1/16th scale wall sets still up for grabs.... ebay item no 270021765286- could be a usefull addition to a diarama- now on a silly start price too.....only a handfull left-

get diarama building !

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What an inspiration this thread has been,the effects look great from this end.

N

new to trains

errrrmmm sneaky plug there ol bean!!
yeah a bit sneaky..... these items sell easily on Ebay..... never had a problem shifting them in the past, just got a few left so letting em go really cheap.... then will produce another batch over the winter....

D

deakon

hey ho not much left to do apart from finishing off the barbed wire, then its the snagging stage where i go back and do all the little touch ups..Ive got some figures to build and paint..the tiger crew,and the flak gun crew..and the Tiger itself needs. drybrushing. etc.. its been on the shelf for a while! and i only got as far as the basecoat and a dark wash..once the figures and the hardware are ready.. it will be time to pour the river..once everything is in place ill do some final weathering. and finish off the base so nothing orrible is showing..meanwhile here are a few pics of the progress so far..

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

That looks superb and I am stil amazed at how easy you make it all look.

The tank will be on a completely differrent level when displayed on this than it would on it's own.

G

Gaz

Love the way you make it look SO easy!!!

Can't wait to see how you do the water......

D

deakon

Thank you .. guys.. I reckon its fit for the bin..never mind a Museum!!

I finished weathering the Tiger and the Flak 38..all the snagging has been done..I just need to clear coat the models..then I can make a start on the river...Tommorow or thursday!..meantime here are a few pics with the models in place.

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0003-1.jpg

IMAG0006-1.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

The flack gun on it's own would make a nice piece. The whole lot together captures a moment in time that looks amazing.

Lovely stuff!!

R

rjwood_uk

lovely models there deakon! cant wait to see this all finished. you should put it into a comp or something i think! a deffinate winner!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You have built the diorama so confidently and quickly,do not under estimate your skills.