Building the IMARA TUG

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Well you dont waste any time Andy,i thought you were having a break after building the Hunter so this was a nice suprise and shame on me for not noticing this earlier.Looking very nice as well Andy should keep you busy for some time eh,i see that your not happy with some of the kit and read your comment that caldercraft are not very good at producing instruction manuals and things but having never had one of their kits it has come as a bit of a suprise that a company such as them are lacking in certain parts its a shame that we spend alot of money buying these kits only to find inferior fittings and poor instructions as you said in an earlier post a person with lesser skills would have been stumped but glad to see you are cracking on and looks like this will be another educating thread for me anyway (learning things all the time).cheers steve
Glad you caught up Steve, i did intend a break but like most people, having the kit sitting there and no project on the go is torture and i had to give in lol. I am disapointed with the instruction and some of the build. The Hunter had three manuals, three drawings and a parts listing, one manual was all pictures that related to the main manual so everything was clear and precise. The picture manual was so good you could have built the boat from that alone. The drawings were to scale and all measurements could be checked very easily.

It is certain that i wont be buuilding another of these kits and thats for sure.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
have i been in a coma?andy this is great,you havent wasted any time have you lolmobear
Cheers Ole, i did wonder where you got to my friend.

Andy

N

noble

Andy i have to say you have a fine set of skills there i would not have the nerve to have a go at anything this complex especially with the electrics an excellent job so far.

Scott

S

Sky Raider

Cheers Scott though i must say it isnt really as hard as it looks. If you have the correct detailed instructions you would find it as simple as building one of your scale kits, i think it is easier building larger scale a little less fiddly and easier on the eye.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Day 14

Well today has been a day of fixing problems, im still coming across issues with this build, it seems never ending. First off i had to fill and sand the gaps in the decks as i mentioned earlier, these were that bad i didnt even need to sand/trim the decks to get them to fit in the hull.

View attachment 60859View attachment 60860View attachment 60861View attachment 60862

That complete i thought the next stage of fitting the strips around the openings would be a peice of cake, lol, how wrong was i. The rear cabin was a joke. The longer strips fitted exactly where the shorter strips go and the shorter strips were too short, by a good inch would you believe. Luckily the shorter strips for the front section were 2 inches too short but long enough to fit in the aft cabin section.

This then meant that i was 2 sections short for the front. I used the 2 short peices from the aft cabin and glued them together to make the missing section for the front of the forward cabin and laminated some strips to form the front rear section so that it would bend round the curve. There was no way the stock supplied would have formed this curve anyway, God knows how they thought you could do it. To make it look a little neat i used some thin stock and lined the inside.

The openings are way way too small for the cabins and will need some packing to get them to sit snug.

View attachment 60863View attachment 60864View attachment 60865View attachment 60866View attachment 60867

Happy building

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 62455

View attachment 62456

View attachment 62457

View attachment 62458

View attachment 62459

View attachment 62460

View attachment 62461

View attachment 62462

View attachment 62463

Day 14 1.jpg

Day 14 2.jpg

Day 14 3.jpg

Day 14 4.jpg

Day 14 5.jpg

Day 14 6.jpg

Day 14 7.jpg

Day 14 8.jpg

Day 14 (7).jpg

C

CDW

Nice recovery Andy ... looks ok in the photos, in fact if you didn't mention the issue i don't think anyone would have noticed.

Also ... if this was a nice straight forward build you be too bored and want it finished and out the way wouldn't you :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Colin. I must say that it is challenging to say the least.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Day 15

Here we go again onto the next problem. When fitting the capping rails to the hull i have found that so far the front rails are too short. This kit is really a load of rubbish and has been thrown together. I DEFINATLY WOULD NOT RECOMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE wanting to build a boat. I will have to make some parts now to make up for their stupid mistakes yet again.

View attachment 60936

That said i carried on regardless as you do and managed to fit the bulwark stansions, washout hatch rails, fitted the combing at the rear deck above the rudder and marked out the main planking area. The planking area was marked so that it could be identified and the stansions fitted in place without fouling.

View attachment 60937View attachment 60938View attachment 60939View attachment 60940View attachment 60941View attachment 60942View attachment 60943View attachment 60944View attachment 60945

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 62530

View attachment 62531

View attachment 62532

View attachment 62533

View attachment 62534

View attachment 62535

View attachment 62536

View attachment 62537

View attachment 62538

View attachment 62539

Rails short.jpg

Day 15 (1).jpg

Day 15 (2).jpg

Day 15 (3).jpg

Day 15 (4).jpg

Day 15 (5).jpg

Day 15 (6).jpg

Day 15 (7).jpg

Day 15 (8).jpg

Day 15 (9).jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nasty or not you are making a great job of it Andy.

Unfortunately there are a good few boat kits out there that are more a guide than a total solution. That is where people like you come in. The skills to beat the challenge and the good thoughts to warn others.

The most important is that you are solving the problems.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Ian. As Colin said it wouldnt be as much fun if it fitted like a kids jigsaw but i do get frustrated over the thoughts that they have made many of these kits and failed to identify the issues. In my opinion with respect the lesser man could make a bodge of a fantastic end result through lack of skill and ability. This would be a great shame for the builder as he had spent a lot of money on the kit and after all as you know, kits are sold on the image of the final result. Only the other day someone came into the model shop while i was there wanting to find some information on someone who could shape the nose of his plane because he was stuck and had been for months. Calving and shaping balsa can be a nightmare if you dont have the tools and the know how. Why do they do this to people?.

Cheers

Andy

C

CDW

I agree with Ian, despite the issues you're progressing nicely, and as said .. a lot of that is due to the fact you can think "outside the box" and overcome problems through experience.

Going on what you've said i feel sorry for the people who have bought a model kit costing, maybe, thousands and get stuck on the first hurdle.

It's not so bad if you're a member of a forum like this and can post a "help, i'm stuck" thread but i wonder how many people have no access to, or haven't joined, a forum and have just given up?

S

Sky Raider

It is a problem that exists, this should be a straight forward build, the first stumbling block is the instruction, if I'm having problems with them how must the others have got on. Some people will admit defeat and give up but its a shame that that has to happen. These people who sell these things need to get their act together. I did get my pal from the model shop to tell them about the motor mount problem but I bet they do nothing, I haven't heard anything back as yet. I could write a list but I would be wasting my time.

S

Sky Raider

Day 16

Another stupid mistake by the manufacturers. You can not bend compound curves from sections of ply that are cut from material that runs across the grain. I soaked these for 9hrs in rubbing alcohol while I went to work and they still snapped when I tried very carefully to bend them. Idiots!!!!. So I cut new ones from stock and made sure they bent with the grain, very simple but effective. I also cut the pieces that were to make up for yesterdays blunders.

View attachment 61025View attachment 61028View attachment 61026View attachment 61027

With this done I then proceeded to fit the rest of the capping rails.

View attachment 61029View attachment 61030View attachment 61031View attachment 61032View attachment 61033

And here is one side of the capping rails profiled.

View attachment 61034View attachment 61035View attachment 61036View attachment 61037View attachment 61038

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 62615

View attachment 62616

View attachment 62617

View attachment 62618

View attachment 62619

View attachment 62620

View attachment 62621

View attachment 62622

View attachment 62623

View attachment 62624

View attachment 62625

View attachment 62626

View attachment 62627

View attachment 62628

Day 16 no bend.jpg

Day 16 Cap  adaption 1.jpg

Day 16 Cap adaption 2.jpg

Day 16 Cap adaption.jpg

Day 16 Capping rail fitted raw (1).jpg

Day 16 Capping rail fitted raw (2).jpg

Day 16 Capping rail fitted raw (3).jpg

Day 16 Capping rail fitted raw (4).jpg

Day 16 Capping rail fitted raw (5).jpg

Day 16 Cap Sanded 1.jpg

Day 16 Cap Sanded 2.jpg

Day 16 Cap Sanded 3.jpg

Day 16 Cap Sanded 4.jpg

Day 16 Cap Sanded.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm Rubbing alcohol? You would be better of drinking that and using Ammonia instead.

I have seen beach wood tied in a knot after a soak in ammonia. Soak it, any thing from a couple of hours, to over night, rinse it off, bend it cramp it and leave it to dry. jobs a good one.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Never tried that Ian, I have always used Isopoly. I have ammonia, thanks for the tip, I will try to remember that one.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

As long as I remember to swig the alcohol and not the Ammonia while I'm doing it lol. I'm happy with the result at the end of the day so things did get sorted in the end.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Day 17

A problem free day today for a change, not much going on though really. Well I say problem free.... I have fitted some metal parts but the bags aren't numbered so you have to trawl through them and find the parts that you need and hope you get the right ones because there are different parts mixed in some of the bags.

View attachment 61131View attachment 61132View attachment 61133View attachment 61134View attachment 61135View attachment 61136View attachment 61137View attachment 61138

I've been working on the rear grating also. the drawing got the parts upside down would you believe but I sussed it out, im getting good at this now!!. Cant work out though yet why the thin ply laminate has gratings in it when they are supplied in white metal. Strange.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 62714

View attachment 62715

View attachment 62716

View attachment 62717

View attachment 62718

View attachment 62719

View attachment 62720

View attachment 62721

Day 17 (1).jpg

Day 17 (2).jpg

Day 17 (3).jpg

Day 17 (4).jpg

Day 17 (5).jpg

Day 17 (6).jpg

Day 17 (7).jpg

Day 17 (8).jpg

S

Sky Raider

Day 18

I spent this time on spraying the hull with primer. I still have the deck to do and the Bulwarks. I got back home too late to get some more primer so I will get to it probably tomorrow or the day after.

S

Sky Raider

Day 19

I still haven't got back in time to get some primer before the shop closed. I will make sure I get some for tomorrow. In the meantime I have shaped the rear cabin to fit the deck curve, once I did this I then set to making it look something like decent. Usual standard of this model there was a really terrible seam all around the cabin that needed to be cleaned up. Just another sub standard piece of the kit.

View attachment 61465View attachment 61466View attachment 61467View attachment 61468View attachment 61469

After some time sanding.

View attachment 61470View attachment 61471View attachment 61472

In Position

View attachment 61473View attachment 61474View attachment 61475View attachment 61476View attachment 61477

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 62971

View attachment 62972

View attachment 62973

View attachment 62974

View attachment 62975

View attachment 62976

View attachment 62977

View attachment 62978

View attachment 62979

View attachment 62980

View attachment 62981

View attachment 62982

View attachment 62983

Day 19 1.jpg

Day 19 2.jpg

Day 19 3.jpg

Day 19 4.jpg

Day 19 5.jpg

Day 19 6.jpg

Day 19 7.jpg

Day 19 8.jpg

Day 19 9.jpg

Day 19 10.jpg

Day 19 11.jpg

Day 19 12.jpg

Day 19 13.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is a kit that fights back. You are however beating it into submission..

Ian M

Status
Not open for further replies.