Dragon 1/35 sd.kfz.184 Ferdinand

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Si. Toolbox relocation was part of the factory refurb that turned them into Elefants, alongside the addition of zimmerit and relocation of spare track links . Basically, if it’s a Ferdinand, leave the tool box where it is…..
5871506F-B0EB-4B0B-A7FF-0A7B0A5F630D.jpeg

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Si. Toolbox relocation was part of the factory refurb that turned them into Elefants, alongside the addition of zimmerit and relocation of spare track links . Basically, if it’s a Ferdinand, leave the tool box where it is…..
Thanks Tim, I hadn’t picked up that it was one of the things altered during refurbishment…..thanks for the info :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just waiting now for a perfect set of tracks to appear Si. Some thing you've always excelled at.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
That's a really neat build Si. Bring on the paint. After the tracks of course :smiling:
Oh didn’t I mention that this was the varient that had no tracks, just wheels ;):smiling5:

Just waiting now for a perfect set of tracks to appear Si. Some thing you've always excelled at.

Well as you know I’ve got a deal with the modelling pixies….. they do them for me when I go to bed and all I have to do is make a sacrificial offering of PE to the carpet monster :smiling4:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I was just thinking as much. Oops! Didn’t mean to misinform - but now I think about it I might have read about;

1. tool boxes getting smashed off at Kursk as well as. (Tool box repositioned)
2.being overrun by enemy infantry (Bow MG added)
3. The escape hatch needEd to be modified. (escape hatch dropped off - so added a split one in case of recovery?)

Therefore there were no Elefanten at Kursk - all Ferdis!

that’s all I know :nerd:

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I was just thinking as much. Oops! Didn’t mean to misinform - but now I think about it I might have read about;

1. tool boxes getting smashed off at Kursk as well as. (Tool box repositioned)
2.being overrun by enemy infantry (Bow MG added)
3. The escape hatch needEd to be modified. (escape hatch dropped off - so added a split one in case of recovery?)

Therefore there were no Elefanten at Kursk - all Ferdis!

that’s all I know :nerd:
Commander’s cupola added when they were reconditioned into elefants as well…..

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Just found this Si, it hasn't taken you long to get it together & it's looking good.
The food looks good too!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Finally had free time enough to get into assembling the tracks and these Magic tracks are a doddle. lay them out, glue, let it set up a bit and get them on.

This run is in three sections to make breaking down for painting easier.IMG_1506.jpeg

The front sprocket has the offset mount so can be adjusted once the track is on and then I will glue in the right place…..hopefully :flushed:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
" Magic tracks are a doddle." Say's you, more like a dark art I think Si, looks the part.;)

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
" Magic tracks are a doddle." Say's you, more like a dark art I think Si, looks the part.;)
Cheers John, the tracks are pretty wide and easy to handle but your right about the dark arts…I did a dance round the kitchen dressed in a suit made of old sprues, whilst scattering pieces of photo etched For the carpet monster.
The modelling pixies appeared and did them while I sipped at a brandy :smiling4:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm with Andy here, Mr. Benson! Let's see the pics Buddy...I always knew you folks from Sussex New Jersey were a bit 'out there' too!!! Great to see posting up and hope you and the family are are doing well...

BTW, That's a really nice Ferdi you're building Si...A little less goodies baking and you'll get her done!!!...

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Just found this Si, it hasn't taken you long to get it together & it's looking good.
The food looks good too!
Cheers Graeme, there really wasn’t much in the box and it went together pretty well…..the cake lasted about two hours as I have a hungry teenager lurking around the kitchen :smiling5:

Pictures or it didn't happen... :tears-of-joy:
Taking pictures is strictly prohibited, if the pixies catch you then they glue your tracks on upside down with one link missing :upside:
I'm with Andy here, Mr. Benson! Let's see the pics Buddy...I always knew you folks from Sussex New Jersey were a bit 'out there' too!!! Great to see posting up and hope you and the family are are doing well...

BTW, That's a really nice Ferdi you're building Si...A little less goodies baking and you'll get her done!!!...

Prost
Allen
Hey Mr D, good to see you finally show up ;)
We are all good thanks mate and I hope your and your crew are good in the hood.

I Can’t deny being a little ‘wacky’ you know…i put it down to the glue fumes :tongue-out2:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Some progress on the Ferdinand…..

Both left and right tracks completed and removable for painting.IMG_1527.jpeg

Then wheels and track where then removed and a squirt with some MR something or other black stinky primer.

IMG_1545.jpeg

Only enough time to spray the big bit tonight but will hopefully get the wheels and track primed tomorrow…

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I agree with Dave, that primer looks oh so smooth. The pixies have done a fine job on those tracks.