Dragon 1/35 sd.kfz.184 Ferdinand

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good Si. Masking looks fiddly. I don't mind masking up but I hate removing it. Too much stress to see how much bleeding under the tape there is. I'm sure yours will be fine :thumb2:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Looking good Si. Masking looks fiddly. I don't mind masking up but I hate removing it. Too much stress to see how much bleeding under the tape there is. I'm sure yours will be fine :thumb2:
Cheers Jim,
Ive been going round the edges of the tape with one of those silicone tipped brushes, rubbing it down firmly and I’m using bits of blue tack where the tape meets a tricky area so fingers crossed I don’t get too much bleeding under the tape :thinking:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Cheers Jim,
Ive been going round the edges of the tape with one of those silicone tipped brushes, rubbing it down firmly and I’m using bits of blue tack where the tape meets a tricky area so fingers crossed I don’t get too much bleeding under the tape :thinking:
You probably know this trick Si, but Squirt some of the base colour first, so if there is any bleed it doesn't show.
Pete

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I do love a bit of fancy masking.
You’ll know only too well it’s all in the prep with masking so I’m using my best concentration face when applyin…..
IMG_2719.jpeg……:smiling5:

You probably know this trick Si, but Squirt some of the base colour first, so if there is any bleed it doesn't show.
Pete
Pete, turns Out I didn’t know that trick so thank you kindly, I’ll be sure to try that :thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Blimy Si you had me thinking for a bit rember the little zvezda 72nd one I built ,couldn't remember using masking tape or silly putty (hope you don't mind a pic)
20211026_162525.jpg
Then the light went on i used masking fluid pretty sure did the whole thing yellow masked up with the fluid and squirted the green looking back now would have made a better job the other way around still looks like yours is a bit big for this way of doing it ,good to see it making it way to the airbrush though. Is the little bison next up ?you do realise I won't stop haggling about that one. Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
They’re not the same, Porsche Tigers had their own unique type of track. Jagdtigers had two different types, one from Porsche and the other the same as on the Tiger II, depending on the suspension fitted.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
They’re not the same, Porsche Tigers had their own unique type of track. Jagdtigers had two different types, one from Porsche and the other the same as on the Tiger II, depending on the suspension fitted.
thats good to know (although I was making no quotes) as the Dragon Jagdtiger track links look crazy:
IMG_3588.jpeg

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Blimy Si you had me thinking for a bit rember the little zvezda 72nd one I built ,couldn't remember using masking tape or silly putty (hope you don't mind a pic)

Then the light went on i used masking fluid pretty sure did the whole thing yellow masked up with the fluid and squirted the green looking back now would have made a better job the other way around still looks like yours is a bit big for this way of doing it ,good to see it making it way to the airbrush though. Is the little bison next up ?you do realise I won't stop haggling about that one. Dave

Hi Dave,
I did like your 72 nd elefant/ferdinand, you made a cracking job of that :cool:

I had planned on just free handing camo but when I saw this scheme I knew there was no way I’d get it neat enough.

As to the Bison, well I seem to of misplaced it :thinking:……I got a little 1/100 Pz III on the go if your interested ;)

IMG_1624.jpeg

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Thanks for all your positive feedback chaps :smiling4:

After a lot of blue tac and masking tape had been applied and much scrutiny, I had nothing left to do but get some colour in the airbrush and hope I hadn’t missed anything!IMG_1623.jpegIMG_1622.jpegIMG_1621.jpegIMG_1620.jpeg

To say I was pleased would be an understatement! It’s gone far better then I hopped :smiling4:
Barrel and wheels next…….

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
thats good to know (although I was making no quotes) as the Dragon Jagdtiger track links look crazy:
View attachment 496516
I’m now a little confused about Jagdtiger tracks, as the Porsche and Henschel vehicles apparently had different tracks (Gg 24/800/300 resp. Kgs 73/800/300) but I can’t tell them apart in photos — which isn’t too surprising, since the 800/300 in both designations is the width and pitch in millimetres. In any case, both consisted of two different types of link: a “main” link with guide teeth and aggressive pattern on the outside, plus “intermediate” links to connect them, like the instructions show.