fengda airbrush question?

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I can see I'm gonna have to raise my prices :flushed:
I've been scouring eBay etc and came across this one, which won't make my wallet cry......

What do you think please Is Switzer a reliable make?

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I've never heard of switzer to be honest, so I don't feel I can comment on how reliable it is.........however If it's an 'absolute must' that the set comes with an airbrush then have a ganders at this one....It's the same price as the one on e-bay...and it's got next day delivery...

air squashy painty blowy jobbie

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I can see I'm gonna have to raise my prices :flushed:
I've been scouring eBay etc and came across this one, which won't make my wallet cry......

What do you think please Is Switzer a reliable make?
It's just a badge! - there's probably one factory in China that turns out base compressors & they're just rebadged & gussied up by the retailers. The airbrushes - one is a gravity feed double action, that's OK, but the other is a suction feed, that isn't very good!
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
also, would a large cardboard box suffice for spraying?
I can't see a problem with it,
although eventually I would 'upgrade' to a proper 'booth' set up, they're not to expensive, but they do come with an in-built extraction system to help remove any 'harmful' vapours

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It's just a badge! - there's probably one factory in China that turns out base compressors & they're just rebadged & gussied up by the retailers. The airbrushes - one is a gravity feed double action, that's OK, but the other is a suction feed, that isn't very good!
Dave
Agree Dave, mine's officially a Switzer.....but looks exactly the same as all AS186 compressors

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just eying the AS186.
While looking at you-tube I noticed the tank (on the bottom) was rather large compared to the one I looked at with the tank on top
I'm confused now lol.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
As with most things involved with this hobby the more you research and look into things generally the more confused you will become by the overwhelming amount of different information everywhere, whatever you buy youll be telling yourself maybe that one or that one would've been better! I would say find something you like the look of at a price that suits your budget and just hit the buy in now button. Whatever you get will surley meet your needs for a couple of years until when and if you decide you want to spend a bit more money and maybe upgrade. Ive started looking for a new compressor and need to try and take note of my own advice lol

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just eying the AS186.
While looking at you-tube I noticed the tank (on the bottom) was rather large compared to the one I looked at with the tank on top
I'm confused now lol.
Seriously the As186 is a generic Chinese compressor that is ‘white labelled’. Under various brand names.

For a first compressor you cannot go wrong. The one in this last picture you posted is the real thing. I had one and it did sterling service for around 6 years before I got another. Just don’t bother too much with any airbrush bundled with it (if any). Throw that away or just use it for primer.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Very true Mark.
I am hopeless at making a decision when it comes to buying things.
My head aches when I spend all day researching :smiling:

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Seriously the As186 is a generic Chinese compressor that is ‘white labelled’. Under various brand names.

For a first compressor you cannot go wrong. The one in this last picture you posted is the real thing. I had one and it did sterling service for around 6 years before I got another. Just don’t bother too much with any airbrush bundled with it (if any). Throw that away or just use it for primer.Was
thanks, Barry.
Was your tank below the compressor or on top?
In the ones I've seen for sale there is a small tank on the top, does that make a difference?:thinking:
Sorry for all these questions, I feel Im being a pain lol

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
As a side suggestion, whatever your choice about brush and compressor, get a good mask with filters or you'll get camouflaged nostril hairs and, more dangerous, unhealthy things down your lungs.

This suggestion doesn't apply if you have whale-type lungs allowing you to paint without breathing for several minutes. :rolling: :rolling: ;)
Sorry for the cheap humor about whales, just thought you needed something to ease your mind.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Was having a look at that myself, would you say it was quiet? Also been looking at the sparmax 610h as the pressure drops from 60psi to 40 before it kicks in again so figure it wouldn't have to run so often as the 186,if anyone can comment on the sparmax,noise level particularly i would like to hear what you think , living in a flat noise level is the real issue for me,cheers

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Was having a look at that myself, would you say it was quiet? Also been looking at the sparmax 610h as the pressure drops from 60psi to 40 before it kicks in again so figure it wouldn't have to run so often as the 186,if anyone can comment on the sparmax,noise level particularly i would like to hear what you think , living in a flat noise level is the real issue for me,cheers
First and foremost you should not run the compressor at 60/40psi for models. You would need to wind down the air pressure considerably.

Typically for water based acrylics you should run it at 20-25 psi or for lacquers lower, I run mine at 10-15 psi spraying MRP lacquers.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Of course, the pressure regulator controls what pressure comes out the tank not what goes in it but sooner or later the pressure in the tank will drop enough to start the compressor,the 186s runs up the tank to 57 psi and kicks back in when the pressure drops to 50 psi ,the sparmax runs up to 60 and kicks back in at 40,on that basis i would guess the sparmax would restart less frequently than the 186s.