fengda airbrush question?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Of course, the pressure regulator controls what pressure comes out the tank not what goes in it but sooner or later the pressure in the tank will drop enough to start the compressor,the 186s runs up the tank to 57 psi and kicks back in when the pressure drops to 50 psi ,the sparmax runs up to 60 and kicks back in at 40,on that basis i would guess the sparmax would restart less frequently than the 186s.
You will have problems spraying model paints at those air pressures. It is far too high so the pressure regulator needs adjusting down to a working pressure.

I set mine at 15psi, suitable for MRP lacquers, I would recommend a max of 25psi for most other non-lacquer paints.

Depending on your set up you may need a higher pressure but not much higher.

Spraying at too high pressure will cause spidering, possibly tip-dry with some types of paint and you will also be using up a lot of paint very quickly. The paint may also be dry when it hits the plastic giving a pebble like feel.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Was having a look at that myself, would you say it was quiet? Also been looking at the sparmax 610h as the pressure drops from 60psi to 40 before it kicks in again so figure it wouldn't have to run so often as the 186,if anyone can comment on the sparmax,noise level particularly i would like to hear what you think , living in a flat noise level is the real issue for me,cheers
Reasonably quiet - you can't hear it in the next room. A bit louder than a fridge compressor though.
Don't get hung up on those pressure figures, firstly because they're the working pressure of the compressor not the pressure delivered to the airbrush, and secondly because they're only a design figure and the actual pressures might be plus or minus 20% of that at best.
Pete

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Ok well my original post asked for any thoughts on a particular compressor from anyone whoes used or owned one ß
Reasonably quiet - you can't hear it in the next room. A bit louder than a fridge compressor though.
Don't get hung up on those pressure figures, firstly because they're the working pressure of the compressor not the pressure delivered to the airbrush, and secondly because they're only a design figure and the actual pressures might be plus or minus 20% of that at best.
Pete
Thanks Pete.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
You will have problems spraying model paints at those air pressures. It is far too high so the pressure regulator needs adjusting down to a working pressure.

I set mine at 15psi, suitable for MRP lacquers, I would recommend a max of 25psi for most other non-lacquer paints.

Depending on your set up you may need a higher pressure but not much higher.

Spraying at too high pressure will cause spidering, possibly tip-dry with some types of paint and you will also be using up a lot of paint very quickly. The paint may also be dry when it hits the plastic giving a pebble like feel.
Ok,just to clarify,i was asking opinions about a particular model if anyone had used or owned it, at no point have i asked for advice on how to paint ,i know how a compressor works and how a pressure regulator works! I have never had an issue with blowing my builds out the kitchen window because i was dumb enough to try painting at 60psi!
For the last 35 years ive painted everything from formula1 motorbike and sidecar outfits to hgv's and everything inbetween! Ive painted everything from flip colours, to metalflake to pearls down to stove enamel, spent 10 years restoring specifically mercedes pagoda sl's so if by any chance i do find i need some painting advice then my post will ask for painting advice.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Ok,just to clarify,i was asking opinions about a particular model if anyone had used or owned it, at no point have i asked for advice on how to paint ,i know how a compressor works and how a pressure regulator works! I have never had an issue with blowing my builds out the kitchen window because i was dumb enough to try painting at 60psi!
For the last 35 years ive painted everything from formula1 motorbike and sidecar outfits to hgv's and everything inbetween! Ive painted everything from flip colours, to metalflake to pearls down to stove enamel, spent 10 years restoring specifically mercedes pagoda sl's so if by any chance i do find i need some painting advice then my post will ask for painting advice.
Touchy. Were you not referencing 60psi in a previous post ? How the hell does anyone know you are not contemplating using those pressures. A little less excess sensitivity and a little gratitude towards people willing to help is advised.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
As well as the AS186S I have an Aerograph compressor, a bit more sophisticated in that it shows both the tank pressure (up to 6 bar) as well as the outlet pressure. It is very quiet - quieter than our fridge. Unfortunately it has a leak that I've been unable (so far) to fix, which is why it was cheap!
Pete

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
OK guys.
I think I'm erring on the Fendga with the tank etc....
file:///C:/Users/User/Desktop/%C2%A397,00%20%20%20Fengda%20Airbrush%20Kit%20with%20Compressor%20Set%20FD-186K%20with%20compressor%20FD-186,%20Airbrush%20BD-130%20and%20accessories%20_%20Amazon.co.uk_%20DIY%20&%20Tools.html

I can just about afford this one. lol
not sure what the Sprayers like, so will give it a go later and see.
But if anyone else has a critique, then by all means let me know, please. ;)

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Quick tip: it works better if you upload the picture to the forum instead of pasting its local filename into a message ;)

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Apologies for the double post, not sure what I did there.
also, I'm not brilliant at posting photos :anguished:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That set up looks perfect. The compressor looks very like a AS186 and the airbrush is a decent cheapie. It is dual action, top fed and has the best all-round nozzle size, 0.3.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks, Jim.
i noticed it has a fan also, so I guess that'll help keep the compressor quiet a bit longer. :smiling4:

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Just bought one of these recently and have been very happy with it. From what I've read the airbrush can be hit or miss, as they're a cheap Chinese job, but the one I've got is OK, and more than adequate for priming, base coating and modest detail work (camouflage at 1/35 scale, I wouldn't do figure detailing with it).
The compressor is a little louder than a fridge, and runs for a minute or two to fill the tank, then kicks back in as needed.
I'm using Vallejo model colour and air colour acrylics with home made thinner (33% IPA, 66% water from the tumble, with a dash of flow improver). The model colour I thin at around 50% to 80% depending on the paint. The model air about 10% to 30%. I do two or three light layers and they dry very fast, in a matter of minutes.
I'm using around 18psi; measure this with the trigger pulled (spraying air). Spraying from a distance of an inch or two. The first model I've done with it is the FW-190D (link here)
I also use homemade airbrush cleaner which is simply windscreen washer fluid mixed 50/50 with water. Clean you brush after every use and it will be fine.
Don't forget to buy a decent spray mask and vent the spraying area when you're done. You only get one set of lungs!
Best of luck and have fun!

Last edited:

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks for all that Dale.
Yes, the one I'm looking at is on Amazon @ £97 with the airbrushes.
Just want to sort out a cover etc :confounded:

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Thanks for all that Dale.
Yes, the one I'm looking at is on Amazon @ £97 with the airbrushes.
Just want to sort out a cover etc :confounded:
By cover, you mean a booth? I just spray on my modelling mat, putting down paper underneath. Main thing is to protect your lungs with a good filter mask and vent the space well afterwards. I got one of the evil bay for around a tenner, similar to this: face mask link
You don't get too much overspray with a 0.3 needle if you're close to the work with a low-ish pressure, so you won't be throwing clouds of paint all over the furniture anyway. You can just use an old cardboard box, but then lighting becomes tricky.
To buy a proper booth with extraction and light you're looking at around the same again (£100 or just over) in cost.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes I have searched the net and they can be very expensive (one to ask Santa for later :smiling2:)
I guess I'll try an old carboard box or make one up myself (you Tube)
An old colleague of mine used an old cooker hood scrounged from a kitchen fitter.
Pete

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
i noticed it has a fan also, so I guess that'll help keep the compressor quiet a bit longer.
It doesn’t have a fan, the 186S has a fan, it’s also nothing to do with it making it quieter, it just cools it down