Gern's bug

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Col, you're welcome to butt in any time!

You're saying I could use any acrylic paint and mix to get the colour density I need?

I take it that the Revell is from their Aqua range? If so, I got LOTS of Aqua paints. Goody!

I'll have to try on some of the spare bits of rock 'cos I know it'll soak up the paint much more than a piece of paper.

Gern

C

CDW

The revel paints the one in the blue square pot ..... I'm mobile at the most so not near my little modeling room so can't check sorry Dave.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
The revel paints the one in the blue square pot ..... I'm mobile at the most so not near my little modeling room so can't check sorry Dave.
Those are the ones, thanks Col. Off to the kitchen to start playing!

Gern

C

CDW

OK mate ... I'll probably be up till silly o'clock as per usual if you need to brainstorm :smiling3: :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Managed to get the first few rocks painted OK - after a bit of experimenting with the water/paint mix.

I've used something other than plaster of Paris to fix them and the other materials don't match the colour when washed. No problem, I'll be covering most of the base with green stuff anyway, but I think I'll use plaster of Paris to fix my rock faces as well as mould them. They'll then all be the same material and base colour so my wash colours will be consistent.

Started with the green stuff too. I need more practise!

View attachment 72061

View attachment 72062

View attachment 72063

View attachment 72064

Gern

Pond2.JPG

Pond3.JPG

Scenics1.JPG

Scenics2.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry for the late response Dave.....Your dio. is coming along in leaps and bounds, great work.

To be perfectly honest Colin's yer man for your colouring rocks question.....

I take a stroll around the garden and pick me'self some pebbles and scale rocks lying around...saves having to paint anything! Bone idle or what?

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm gonna insist on blamin' young Ron for tellin' me how much fun these dios can be! Been up to my ankles in bits of foam and up to my elbows in plaster of Paris for a few days but I'm beginning to see some results I'm happy with.

Got the patio and walls fixed (I left a couple of gaps at the back for those suspicious enough to think I might have a body or two under it!).

I decided I'd run a couple of streams of water (not waterfalls!) down the rock faces so that meant I had to dig out a stream at the bottom - which meant I'd need more rocks to go along it, and some sort of tunnel under the steps .....

View attachment 72866

View attachment 72867

View attachment 72868

View attachment 72869

Gern

Rocks for stream.JPG

Stream1.JPG

Stream2.JPG

Stream3.JPG

C

CDW

Oh my good god man ..... You're creating a movie set!!

And it ain't looking to bad either mate :smiling3: :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just noticed I've managed to get plaster in the branches of one of the trees. That'll teach me to do things in a more logical sequence!

Gern

C

CDW

Im confused, bewildered and lost now, there's unexplained stuff happening and it seems its all in the mind of a gern........ :smiling3: :smiling3:

Quality of the builds brill though!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Id forgotten all about this and now I'm very confused :confused: You've put lettering on it !

All I can think it is now is that it's a pet and the family are taking it for a walk lol

C

CDW

Is it something to do with Dr. Carl ?

Maybe he's gone further than mind controlling just a couple and has progressed to bugs working alongside the troopers?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ey up folks! Got a couple of you thinking which is always nice.

I do like the idea of having something like KayTee as a pet, even though you'd have problems getting him in the back of the family car - but that's not where I'm going.

The idea that Carl's developed some kind of mind-control is also good - but not right.

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Im confused, bewildered and lost now, there's unexplained stuff happening and it seems its all in the mind of a gern........ :smiling3: :smiling3: Quality of the builds brill though!
Yep! That's where it's all coming from. All twisted and weird - which explains a lot about me!

Hope my story plot is OK or I'm gonna look like a gibbering idiot. Or is that even more of a gibbering idiot than usual?

I do appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm pleased with the way it's going and progress, for me at least, is good. Won't be long now before I can reveal the background and ask you to work out the punchline!

Gern

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yep! That's where it's all coming from. All twisted and weird - which explains a lot about me!Hope my story plot is OK or I'm gonna look like a gibbering idiot. Or is that even more of a gibbering idiot than usual?

I do appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm pleased with the way it's going and progress, for me at least, is good. Won't be long now before I can reveal the background and ask you to work out the punchline!

Gern
I think I've got it it's a dream ! Your going to take a picture of yourself asleep put that dio in a big clear bag and hang it from the ceiling just above your head as if your dreaming it all :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. I've got all the rock stuff painted. I didn't like what I'd done with the grass and trees so I stripped that off.

I painted the rocks using what I've seen called the 'Leopard spot' technique. Mix up three washes using acrylics and water. The colours are usually a yellow/buff, dark brown and black. Splash on random spots - this is the 'Henry Cooper' school of art for those who can remember our 'enry and his 'Splash it on all over!" - of the yellow and brown and then go over everything with the black.

I'll go over the flat surfaces with either green - where I'll be putting grass; or brown - where I'll probably just sprinkle a little sand.

View attachment 73018

View attachment 73019

View attachment 73020

View attachment 73021

Gotta clean up and repaint the steps then I can start again with the green stuff.

Gern

Final ground1.JPG

Final ground2.JPG

Final ground3.JPG

Final ground4.JPG