Kursk. II S.S. Panzer corps slowly claw their way toward Obayan

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
brilliant work paul,the creased fabric effect on the putty sections is superb, cant wait to see him painted, cheers tony

R

rogue-one

hey paul. yeah, that figure is looking fantastic. like tony said, the putty work with the cloth folds is great! such a good bit of custom work. inspiring!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Tony/Bobby

The putty work is quite tricky especially as it seems to want to stick to my fingers more than it does to the wire armature! but I think (hope) it's worth the effort and I'm glad you like it.

I'm going to post an update on this figure because I omitted this stage for the NCO. I thought I'd show you the work on the straps and equipment before painting.

The straps were made from foil from a wine bottle, the D and O rings for the straps were made from wire wrapped around a micro drill bit and then carefully cut. The bread bag was again made from putty so that I could push the canteen and bottle into it whilst still soft. I arranged these 2 as though they were falling back toward his body, because he's making a jump they will be still 'in the air' a bit. I hope I've captured this movement properly, I'm quite pleased with the results and hope you like it too.

I'll get some paint on hm over the weekend and then I'm going back to the base to work on the trench and the grass.

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 17542View attachment 17543View attachment 17544View attachment 17545View attachment 17546

View attachment 25438

View attachment 25439

View attachment 25440

View attachment 25441

View attachment 25442

Straps & Equipment01.jpg

Straps & Equipment04.jpg

Straps & Equipment02.jpg

Straps & Equipment03.jpg

Straps & Equipment06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rogue-one

the movement is perfect paul! the second pic that has a little bit of blur in it really does give the appearance that he's jumping! i love the straps on his uniform, there actually far better than a kit figure.

B

bikerbart

Paul this really is quite exceptional work buddy, and i dont say that lightly, the "extras" are going to make this whole project a highly enjoyable one. One day i MIGHT be ready to attemp some of the things youve done on here....but for now im just very much enjoying watching your skills....keep up the great work mate, this is fascinating stuff, all the best mate, Martin :smiling:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi everyone

Got a bit of an update on both base and the leaping figure...

I've got some paint on 'Skinny' who now can take his place on the dio to see how he looks. Talking of the dio, I've done a few bits and pieces to the base. First I've 'planted' the fake fur grass. This was simply done by cutting the fake fur to shape and then sticking it to the base with PVA. I've also built a little dug out in the trench which will eventually get a cover to partially hide the door. The roof is made from a corrugated copper sheet which will have some more 'earth' packed on top of it. The duck boards in the trench are made from coffee stirrers and balsa wood runners. More ground work needs to be added to disguise the edges of the grass and be piled on to the roof of the dug out but this is really the first glimse of how this should turn out.

Hope you like it

Paul

Thanks everyone for the comments

Martin - I think it's just a case of having a go, that's all I'm doing. You never know what you can do, but I'm glad you like build so far.

View attachment 17614View attachment 17615View attachment 17616View attachment 17617View attachment 17618

View attachment 25484

View attachment 25485

View attachment 25486

View attachment 25487

View attachment 25488

BasewithGrass05.jpg

BasewithGrass04.jpg

BasewithGrass03.jpg

BasewithGrass01.jpg

BasewithGrass02.jpg

N

noble

Paul mate this is looking really good so far you can get a gist how this is going to look and your figures are fantastic keep up the excellent work.

scott

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Asolutely superb :smiling3:

C

Cov1

Paul, this is top draw stuff, im astounded at the level of detail and use of every day materials to help build your dio.

Brilliant!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul, this is one superb piece of workmanship. Your figures are quite masterful.

I'm sorry I have not kept up with your build but I have been A.W.O.L. for quite a few days.

Your diorama is looking really good and taking shape just nice...I know it is in it's early stage, but if I can be permitted one observation, do you think your bomb crater is too round and regimented in it's shape?

Perhaps a bit more scattering and roughing up around the edges would help? If you think it doesn't need doing or are already planning to do this at a later stage please forgive my premature suggestion and I will go and get me coat...again!

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ron

Thanks for the kind words. It is really enjoyable trying new techniques and materials and I'm glad you like the figures.

I've done a little more to the groundwork and I think this may have solved the symmetrical bomb crater out. I didn't actually want to show this stage yet as I wanted to keep a little bit back, but hey what the hell!

I think I added a little more 'mud' to the crater and it seems a little more of an ellipse than a perfect circle - but I'll let you be the judge!

I'm now planning my dead Russians and more of the trench interior. This is again going to take quite a while as both dead Russian figures need extensive alts.

Let me know what you think re: bomb crater and I'll see what I can do to rectify...

Cheers

P

View attachment 17695

View attachment 25549

BombCrater.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry I have made you disclose the next stage of you superb build, Paul!

Gawd, I hate this side of the modelling game..... If you look at the 'direct hit' on the trench, you can see the difference. That one is more knocked about, whereas the one in the open is still (I think) too uniform and wants a bit more misshaping and perhaps more rubble ect. thrown up around it...

This is only my take on it and I appreciate everyone has their own ideas what a bomb hole looks like!

I really can't stand offering 'advise' to someone like yourself, who is obviously so good at modelling, so I will wind my neck in now!LOL

Cheers,

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Ron, I'll give it some thought. I think what I may do to break it up a bit more is add some large sods of earth which have been torn from the ground and flew up and came almost straight back down. The crater in the middle of the field is really just exploding earth so the resistance of force should be pretty even anyway, but I do take your point. I'll mess it up a bit more and of course there is all the dust (pigments) to add yet. Thanks for the comments is always good to get someone else's view.

Cheers

P

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul, I'm always very twitchy about making comments or giving advise, about other people's models as I always have it in the back of my mind the recipient or someone else reading my comments might think me picky, so I am glad you accepted my suggestion in the way it was meant to be, just that!

I will be watching the next installment with renewed interest as this will, no question, be one superb Summer G/B.

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Interestingly I found this bomb crater online. Now it states that this is from Passchendaele??? (if it is it seems very well preserved) and I know it will have been worn smooth over time but it is remarkable how round it is. But as you've already said Ron there is no perfect bomb crater shape!!!

I know what you mean about being twitchy about comments on other's work, but I think so long as it's constructive and meant in the right way then it can only serve to make us all better modelers.

Cheers again mate

Paul

View attachment 17697

View attachment 25551

228143-bomb-crater-passendale-belgium.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Interesting picture Paul, you are right to perhaps question it's authenticity. That's one well preserved 100yr. old bomb hole! (nearly) Is that a J.C.B. I see in the back ground? lol

I guess modellers could argue the toss all day about the shape of 'holes.' The trajectory of the shell, the amount and type of explosive, type of ground ect. would all make for a different shaped depression wouldn't it?..............I want a drink!

Ron

F

Fenlander

I guess modellers could argue the toss all day about the shape of 'holes.' The trajectory of the shell, the amount and type of explosive, type of ground ect. would all make for a different shaped depression wouldn't it?
I think you have it one there Ron. Shell holes, bomb craters, call them what you will have an infinite amount of shape possibilities depending on how they were created. Just thinking it over, I would say that the round ones would be a vertical (or as near as) trajectory with a delayed fuse so that the projectile went off under the surface blowing straight up. If it came in very shallow and still went off underground, I would think it would have the elongation trench where it came in and then a round hole, similar to a stylised comet style.

However, I think we are missing the point. It could be any shape really so make it what shape you want or we could get accused of rivet counting holes in the ground lol, God forbid.... I think you crater looks fine, suites the layout of your diorama and leaves no one in doubt as to what it is. Nice one.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Graham/Ron

Still not convinced trajectory has a great deal to do with the shape of the explosive force but anyway... I'm not calling the bomb squad in!

Cheers

P

N

noble

Paul mate i've just seen this and i love the dio, your grass looks the business and i do like the trech works as well as the crater looking forward to seeing more pics well done and keep up the good work.

scott