Kursk. II S.S. Panzer corps slowly claw their way toward Obayan

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Scott, I knew your fake fur tip was a winner I'm chuffed to bits with the way the grass looks.

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A quick update on the Dead Russian figures

Finalised the poses for my dead Russians last night. I settled on 2 differing poses and spent some time on trying to get slumped and lifeless limbs.

The first soldier was killed instantly from shrapnel and lies in a supine position on the trench floor

The second soldier is seated/slumped against the back of the trench and died from his wounds over some time (I have an idea for this figure but don't want to give too much away, I think it will add to the story though).

As per the other alts limbs were cut through joints and attached with wire (smaller gauge for the hand on figure 2). Because I've altered these soldiers so much I can't remember which of the figures they were originally in the set, they may even be a composite of all 4.

Anyway, here they are...

View attachment 17747View attachment 17748View attachment 17745

View attachment 25599

View attachment 25601

View attachment 25602

DeadRussians04.jpg

DeadRussians02.jpg

DeadRussians03.jpg

B

bikerbart

Paul, i just love it when i see one of your updates.....it always means a quality post with quality work. The way you achieve what you require with these figures is brilliant in my opinion. I feel im very much a part of this build and i think thats cause the way you present it all makes it feel like your building this project in the room next door.

Fantastic, brilliant and quality of the highest order mate, thanks for another instalment, already looking forward to the next, regards Martin :smiling:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Martin, I feel I'm learning something with each figure and I'm actually quite surprised at how well everything seems to be coming together. I don't mean that in a conceited way I just mean that for me this does seem to be progress in terms of learning new things. Also, I've tried to have all the elements in the dio interact in some way and I do think this is starting to pay off. This is the reason that the steps in building the dio have come in the order they have.

I'm glad you like the posts, I hadn't really thought about how all this must sound but the 'build next door' seems quite good.

If I can I'm going to try and finish this dio over the next 6 weeks, then I may enter it into Euro Militaire. What do you think? I've looked into it and the dio would sit in category 15. If anything it should be fun and quite interesting as this would be my first competition entry. I know from previous years that there is some serious modeling talent there and I go in with no expectations but the experience would be interesting.

Cheers

Paul

F

Fenlander

I can see no reason why you should not have a go at entering it Paul. You have put a lot of work into it and, I am sure, inspired others to go the extra mile with their figures. Have to say I have declined to convert my 1:48 figures but that is because I am chicken lol.

It is good to see people try new ideas and build in confidence, that is what this is all about.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Graham

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Like I said, if I can finish it in time I'll have a go, if only to meet and chat with other entrants and join in.

If I've inspired others to have a go at figure conversion that would be brilliant but it's not a requirement. Your 1/48 scale figures will (I'm sure) fit into your dio perfectly and then there's no reason to convert anything. Speaking of which, when can we expect your next post? I know you've been really busy with other projects, and there's obviously no pressure, but I'm eagerly anticipating the next instalment, as I'm sure are a few others.

Paul

B

bikerbart

Paul i think your dio will be more than worthy and more than able to "hold its own" in Euromilitaire. I think the good thing with placing it in this particular comp is the fact there will be those there that will give a good and honest opinion and you will know the high standards set. I guess it will be like playing in the Premier League for the first time !!!!!! They will give you a fair crack at it and you will know where to go with things after it.

I have entered a couple of my bikes in shows before. It is nerve racking cause you dont want to be pulled to pieces, buy i can honestly say ive NEVER seen anyone do that to a modeller at a show. For the most part our fellow modellers are a good bunch and give good honest help and guidance where they can, there are very few who deliberatly cause offence.

The standards you set yourself are of the highest order and i think you owe it to yourself to enter this one if you can finish it in time, there is certainly nothing wrong with finding out from a competetion of this standard just where you have reached.

I really hope it can be entered mate, it will make my day to see it there when i go. All the very best with it buddy, regards Martin :smiling:

N

noble

Paul mate i do live what you have done so far with your figures top notch mate as for the competition go for it nothing is ever lost if you try it.

scott

R

rogue-one

man!!! some real nice work going on here! heavy custom building! the dead and dying figures will look great. the dio base is looking super too. love that trench. with the figures in it, brillant. i'm looking forward to more of this.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Martin, Scott I'm going to give Euromilitaire a go. Bobby I hope the finished dio doesn't disappoint.

...I turned my attention to the T-34 over the weekend and tried to build as many sub assemblies as I could without the need to paint anything. This was easier said than done because the interior obviously needs completing before work on the outside can begin. I think I've more-or-less completed everything apart from the upper hull, but there is a reason for this. Because I want to simulate some battle damage I've decided to have a go at replacing the fenders with metal replacements. They look fairly simple to replicate and my prefered material for doing such work is... an old tomato puree tube! The advantage of making foil fenders is that they can be bent to any twisted and blasted shape I want once they are attached to the tank. Although I've replaced fenders before I have never fabricated the fenders themselves, these have always been etched brass replacements, and so this will be another first in this build. When buying the kits I also bought the AFV Club 'Touch' series PE. This will also help create the twisted metal louvres and mesh screens.

Below is the tank sub assemblies, AFV 'Touch' PE, upper hull showing the part to be removed (yellow line) and the fender raw material!

View attachment 17896View attachment 17900View attachment 17897View attachment 17895

Meanwhile the 2 Russians have got some flesh on them but still no hair yet!

View attachment 17898View attachment 17899

I've also got what I think could be a great material for adding more debris to my bomb craters - cat litter! I think I may even be able to stain it (no, I won't be squatting over my own man-sized litter tray!) with the same paint I used on the dio. This should make the bomb blasts a little more random and add some much needed debris to make the dio a little more lifelike.

Cheers everyone

Paul

View attachment 25693

View attachment 25694

View attachment 25695

View attachment 25696

View attachment 25697

View attachment 25698

TomatoPuree.jpg

T34 sub assemblies.jpg

Removal of Fenders.jpg

Russian02.jpg

Russian01.jpg

Touch PE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rogue-one

hi paul. good luck with the tank. looking forward to seeing it. don't get to fat eating tomato puree and a hope the cats got somewhere else to poo. lol

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi All

I've been incredibly busy with work recently which has put my plans for this build back quite a bit. It now looks unlikely that I'll be able to finish this in time for Euromilitaire, which is a shame but nothing I can really help. I'll still give it a shot but I don't want to rush it and risk spoiling it just to be an entrant.

Anyhoo, here's my latest progress. Got some paint on my dead Russians with just a touch of spilt 'claret' to add that touch of gore!

View attachment 18255View attachment 18256View attachment 18257View attachment 18258View attachment 18259

Bobby I don't even have a cat but should a cat come to visit it has some litter to use!

Cheers everyone

Paul

View attachment 25959

View attachment 25960

View attachment 25961

View attachment 25962

View attachment 25963

Dead Russians Painted06.jpg

Dead Russians Painted02.jpg

Dead Russians Painted05.jpg

Dead Russians Painted03.jpg

Dead Russians Painted04.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Paul , this is just gobsmackingly good !!! Your work converting the figures is outstanding , they look excellent painted up. I only wish i could do figures half as well . Keep it up mate , cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Tony for the kind words it's really appreciated! I'm glad you're liking the figures, I am quite pleased with my first conversions although I do think the painting would have been better in oils.

Again thanks for the support it means a lot.

All the best

Paul

C

colprit

Paul your work on these figures is amazing and the shadowing in the creases is brillant. Keep up the good work and I can only agree with Tony on your conversion of these figures.

Can't wait to it when you've finished.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent work on the figure remodelling Paul. Well done.

Ron

J

JFJ

Fantastic work Paul sorry have been a bit busy to follow the build but must say its wonderful. (Claps) :no1b:

N

noble

Those figures are amazing this dio is gonna look the dogs.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers guys your support and comments mean a lot.

Unfortunately I won't be spending as much time as i would like on posting and modelling for the next few months because of work commitments. I will try to keep up with the GB but apologise in advance if I can't post.

Martin: Euromilitaire looks an impossible deadline as I'm working most weekends now too, I will try to get down there though if you still fancy that beer!

Cheers everyone

Paul

R

rogue-one

hi paul. these figures turned out fantastic. its been a lesson watching u build them up bit by bit to the final paint stage. looking forward to seeing the next pics when u get the free time to upload them.