Merlin HC3 Airfix 1/48 Afganistan

L

Laurie

And so a long delay with some many things happening you would not believe it. But back on track I hope.

Near finished the cockpit near 95% and Eduard came up with 3 superb bits of PE for the internal bits. So a little bit of destruction for all the bits in the cabin. To late for the pilot seat belts. I produced these from two layers of Tamiya tape not perfect but I had gone to far. But about 20 seat belts for the hold seats in PE. That would have taken some doing with Tamiya tape. There is a fourth sheet of PE for the external parts. This is just incredible so many parts about 85 bits.

View attachment 80534

Matter of interest I doubled the tape for the belts with the sticky side next to the Pilot and seat . This enabled a better positioning and fixing of the belts. But I would have done better with a single tape layer as after painting the belts became less pliable.

The eyes on the pilots look vacant on the photos but in the real looks OK. Amazing no pilots supplied with this expensive kit. But PJ Productions do a set of 3 for the Lynx so here they are. Very nicely produced great detail and fit well. Also well done Airfix so far well detailed and going to plan.

Laurie

View attachment 80528

View attachment 80529

View attachment 80530

View attachment 80531

View attachment 80532

View attachment 80533

View attachment 80535

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice work Laurie, great detailing and PE work. Agree that the pilots look good, nice features and details. Love the cockpit detailing, a very busy place indeed.

Si:smiling3:

D

dubster72

Looks really good Laurie, but jeez there's a lot of buttons on that center console!

Cheers

Patrick

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good there Laurie, so much detail and all well painted, :rolleyes:

L

Laurie

Little further it has even begun to look like a helicopter.

Major problem with the bucket seats optional to folding. Poor location of the bucket. Should have made a template so that all the seats were at the same level. Resorted to folding seats and added cargo. Rear part of the cargo area reserved for a Quad Bike.

Nice thing is all internal bits are on view with both cargo doors and the rear ramp open.

The strapping on the seat I used a china pencil with a flat lead best I could think of. Painting was out of the question-- at least for me.

View attachment 81531

View attachment 81531

View attachment 81532

View attachment 81533

View attachment 81534

View attachment 81535

View attachment 81536

8.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Outstanding interior work Laurie.

Si:smiling3:

L

Laurie

Thanks for the comments men very kind.

Inside finished now to make it look like a helicopter.

Laurie

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Laurie, this is looking the biz mate, keep up the great work!

Lee :smiling3:

W

Willi262

I missed the opening of this, but wow!

And I took a quick look at the first pics, the sprue shots, and seriously, I felt an uncomfortable quiver in my chest. Yes, like a mini-heart attack.

I think that may be a tad bit involved for me. It's probably the main reason I have not started my last major kit, the 32 scale 262 i got last Nov.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That interior is very, very nice indeed. Great detailing.

Ian M

L

Laurie

Thanks Steve and Ian very nice encouragement.

Must admit Steve got excited when I bought the box of tricks. Got even more hysterical when I opened it. But it is a nice model and one of the Airfix new ones and so far no complaints except the clear parts.

The Merlin is going to be part of the Herrick Group which is waiting on the shelf in boxes. And the shelf which is waiting is going to be a diorama. The Merlin, Lynx, Land Rover, Landrover Snatch, Coyote, Jackal, Warrior, 2 Quad Bikes trailers and crew and 2 platoons all set in Afganistan. Take a time and my first time for vehicles.

That is the aim.

Laurie

L

Laurie

Thanks Colin hope the enthusiasm is maintained. Despite being retired and old so many things are going on it is like being on a roundabout.

Laurie

L

Laurie

So here goes the next presentation. FIrst try at electrics on a model.

Drilled 3 holes in the ceiling so that the LEDs sit down level and give a good spread of light. None of the wiring will be visible except where it exits under the fuselage.

Also if you look closely on the ceiling of the roof you will see more decals than are usually on any model.

The electrics cost about £5 on Ebay. The LED strings come in 3, 5 7 etc. Also different colours. Chose amber as i think it looks more realistic. Did not want to flood the hold but unlike many models here is an opportunity to show off the inside work.

The walls and ceiling will be covered with another sheaf with the windows sandwiched between. Very clever Airfix as it gives a good 3 dimensional look

View attachment 81904

View attachment 81905

View attachment 81906

View attachment 81907

View attachment 81908

View attachment 81909

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

D

dubster72

Excellent idea Laurie & well executed too! This will look great!

Cheers

Patrick

0ne48thtel

Brilliant Laurie I may have to pinch this idea for a couple of builds in the stash