Roundhouse

• Thread starter Deleted member 8703
  • Start date

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Okay so today I got my order from Campbell Models (the hinges) and when I opened the package it was roofing material. I was so mad. I thought they made a mistake but they didn’t. I ordered the wrong thing. So I made another order and the wait game continues.
HI Christopher yea i just done the same thing on my tiger's penant NO.s went an ordered to large a NO.s only to find they are too big so that a waste of nr 14 quid unless i can sell them to someone else at half price to try an get a bit back as i should have checked my plans but well but i have the correct size comin now oh we live an learn dont we an yes i bet you was mad at the mistake but easy done

but they will soon come an when you get the hinges could you please show a pic of them as at that scale as they would be just right for the hinges on my tigers doors as i have been useing dolls house hinges on my tiger W/T DOORS an they are a bit big but they do the job but if i can fit them an how much they cost an where to get them from if you would not mind ? but your build is comin on the more i look at your pics the more to me it looks like where i used to work its amazein really
chris

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Okay so making the tiny roofs on these smoke stacks was insanely tediousView attachment 421261View attachment 421262
AN yes Christopher i get what you mean about bein insanely tedious as ive got to make an paint over 400 staintions or saftey railings on my tiger so it will be a few at a time but this modelin isnt it ? an to be enjoyable (phew)
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just caught up on this. Great work Christopher. Your are adding atmosphere in spades here. The overhead crane idea sounds fascinating as well. These were only ever found at major works in the UK. perhaps you could add a traverser?
It’s interesting to me because roundhouses are a rare thing on British outline railways. There were only ever a handful in use. I think the main reasons were ground required, which was always at a premium in UK, with the railways being built after the cities, and efficiency of operation. The turntable being slower to use and tying up the whole shed while it turned.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just caught up on this. Great work Christopher. Your are adding atmosphere in spades here. The overhead crane idea sounds fascinating as well. These were only ever found at major works in the UK. perhaps you could add a traverser?
It’s interesting to me because roundhouses are a rare thing on British outline railways. There were only ever a handful in use. I think the main reasons were ground required, which was always at a premium in UK, with the railways being built after the cities, and efficiency of operation. The turntable being slower to use and tying up the whole shed while it turned.
HI Tim well the factory where i worked had over head morris cranes one in each bay an would lift 3tons as the cranes ran on RAILS over head an to go left an right the hoist part ran across the main crane itself on rails so it was forwards an back on the main crane an left an right for the actul hoist part that runs over the lenght of the main crane again on rails an yea Tim you are right Chrtopher is bringin some very good modeling subjects to the forum
chris
c

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, overhead cranes were relatively common. The last one I saw was about ten years ago when I went to a centrifuge manufacturers in Halifax...

D

Deleted member 8703

I thought modeling was suppose to be relaxing too but is it....let’s see...parts missing, the carpet that swallows fallen parts, the wrong part finally arrives, the long wait from the post office, not having the right tool, poor lighting, the special expensive glue that doesn’t hold like it said it would, the delicate part that disintegrates the minute you cut it from the sprue, the only paint you need and it’s dried up, not having enough paint and so on...LOL

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice looking "Consolidation" Christopher.......I gather that the UP is your "road of choice".....I looked at their facility in Stockton Ca. many years ago while "Railfanning" and attending the Annual "Winter Rail" Festival.
Rick H.

D

Deleted member 8703

I got the Campbell hinges today and as fate would have it, the hinge part is too big. I will just have to wait for the other ones I ordered.