Roundhouse

• Thread starter Deleted member 8703
  • Start date

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Christopher thank you for the pic of the trains motor but is this an eletrict motor as i cant see any wires ?
chris

D

Deleted member 8703

I haven’t the foggiest. I only purchased this item for the diorama.image.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’d guess that the silver block is the worm drive gearbox. The motor is not there...it‘s drive shaft would be fitted into the silicone tube and the motor fixed to the bracket with the two blobs by a bolt. It would only need one wire Chris, which is the black one going to the copper wire pickups. Electrical return would be made through live wheels on the left of the chassis frame conducting current into the axle then through the chassis and through to the motor by the fixing bolt. The wheels on the right would be insulated, hence the need for pickups. Exactly the same system was used by Triang.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Any chance of squeezing it in by utilizing a shorter "Tender"? Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I’d guess that the silver block is the worm drive gearbox. The motor is not there...it‘s drive shaft would be fitted into the silicone tube and the motor fixed to the bracket with the two blobs by a bolt. It would only need one wire Chris, which is the black one going to the copper wire pickups. Electrical return would be made through live wheels on the left of the chassis frame conducting current into the axle then through the chassis and through to the motor by the fixing bolt. The wheels on the right would be insulated, hence the need for pickups. Exactly the same system was used by Triang.
YES YOU ARE RIGHT TIM say no more as i can see the eletric pic up on the right hans wheel

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, commercially easy to factory build, but not that great in operation. Anything that electrically bridges the insulated wheels and the chassis causes a dead short. It’s better to use insulated wheels with pickups on both sides and keep the chassis electrically neutral.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've run into this with snowplows on my locos. Easily mended once determined. PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Christopher lookin good an what are the wires for the lights ?
chris