Tamiya 1/350 USS Fletcher

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
It's getting dark early, trust you have all done the clocks??

Due to more practice needed on seams I found this in the stash. Been there for a while and box a bit battered.
20231029_164337.jpg
So made rapid progress, bit surprised at the gaps after fitting the deck. Used deluxe materials filler then wiped excess off with a damp cotton bud. Although it's a full hull there's a horrible seam at the stern. Bugger!

20231029_164252.jpg
Built up the superstructures, seams to hopefully sort out plus the dreaded funnels! The superstructures are loose. Bit of filler needed on the forecastle.
20231029_164237.jpg20231029_164307.jpg
Getting there and getting to grips with the dark art of boaty things!!

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
It's getting dark early, trust you have all done the clocks??

Due to more practice needed on seams I found this in the stash. Been there for a while and box a bit battered.
View attachment 494249
So made rapid progress, bit surprised at the gaps after fitting the deck. Used deluxe materials filler then wiped excess off with a damp cotton bud. Although it's a full hull there's a horrible seam at the stern. Bugger!

View attachment 494250
Built up the superstructures, seams to hopefully sort out plus the dreaded funnels! The superstructures are loose. Bit of filler needed on the forecastle.
View attachment 494251View attachment 494252
Getting there and getting to grips with the dark art of boaty things!!
WELL Done Bob matey this ship can look realy good when done up in cameo as i ve built two of the bid lindburgh blue devil desrtroers an yours should look good as well an dont worry about seams just get her painted an assembled an have fun boyo as im following along
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
WELL Done Bob matey this ship can look realy good when done up in cameo as i ve built two of the bid lindburgh blue devil desrtroers an yours should look good as well an dont worry about seams just get her painted an assembled an have fun boyo as im following along
chrisb
Thanks Chris

Just doing a simple paint job, using whatever paint I have, practice Jonny
Good luck with this Bob. The fit looks a bit poor for Tamiya but nothing you can't sort.
Morning Jim, this was issued in 1996 and it's showing its age, the Kagero kit is much newer and it shows, better fit, details etc but as Dave pointed out, twice the price. Mind you good filler practice etc!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Bob, I was building this half way and got side winded to finish my monkey dio. Didn't have as much fit problems as you've encountered but filler is needed in some places.I should start it up again.
It's a good practice model because the parts fit is for easy painting of deck and superstructure.

Cheers,
Wabble

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Made the main battery x 5, attacked the funnel seams and bridge. Made up other superstructure bits, some need a bit more work.

Next a clean up, then the ultimate test of Mr surfacer primer. So far pleased with the seams, think I may have cracked it, pray mat out.

Messing about with ships had really changed how I build when compared to StuG's! It's like a new hobby!
20231031_154658.jpg
Much happier so far!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looking good so far Bob.
Thanks Ian, steady as she goes lol
Carry on Bob, tis looking good.
Thanks John, feel more confident now, honest
Definitely not a StuG.....but is it a battleship? Just a thought @BattleshipBob!

Coming on nicely though nevertheless!!

ATB

Andrew
When it grows up it want to be a Iowa class battleship!
I take it you're struggling to find where to put the tracks?
It's amazing what super glue can attach!

Tracks!!! He hasn't even figured out where the wheels go yet :smiling:
Now where do I drill a hole for the axles, nothing on the plans lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Ok guys, I think Bob is getting a bit tired of the endless teasing regarding the change of favourite subjects. Can we just enjoy the build?
Please!
No problem, did they have zimmerit??

Right sanity for a while,
20231106_140738.jpg
Superstructure, main guns etc. in the hopefully dust proof box. The primed hull and Kagero having the hull to lower hull seams primed for checking. All ok, phew
20231106_140802.jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Don’t know to the validity of the image but there was an image of the USS Fletcher stating it was about 2700 ton. Next to it was a pic of Yamamoto’s main turret weighing in at 2800 ton?
If true that quite a comparison.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Don’t know to the validity of the image but there was an image of the USS Fletcher stating it was about 2700 ton. Next to it was a pic of Yamamoto’s main turret weighing in at 2800 ton?
If true that quite a comparison.
I saw that as well I can imagine it's good if the whole turret and not just the top is on the scales!