Tamiya 1/350 USS Fletcher

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Bob, do you have some heating in the room ?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looking good Bob, do you have some heating in the room ?
Evening John

I have a small convection heater, but generally the room is ok. It's insulated with spare carpet underlay on the floor and covered by a large rug which I had to cut to fit. Thankfully not new otherwise Julie may have cut me down to size lol

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening John

I have a small convection heater, but generally the room is ok. It's insulated with spare carpet underlay on the floor and covered by a large rug which I had to cut to fit. Thankfully not new otherwise Julie may have cut me down to size lol
Hi Bon .That's good, I pop my oil heater on for a bit till it's warm, with all the insulation in the ceiling and walls it retains the heat well . Better for painting these cool days . Hi to Julie .
Will email tomorrow.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
God how I miss those early years, dashing out to the shed to paint something. Pouring rain, freezing cold. damp. Then me dad bought a paraffine heater. warmed up nice. Made a boat load of condensation but warmed up. lol
As an old fart, I enjoy the ability to walk down the hallway, via the kitchen, aka coffee maker, to a central heated room, with all the trimnings. LOL
Sorry Bob just had a flashback.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bon .That's good, I pop my oil heater on for a bit till it's warm, with all the insulation in the ceiling and walls it retains the heat well . Better for painting these cool days . Hi to Julie .
Will email tomorrow.
Morning John, look forward to our chat!
God how I miss those early years, dashing out to the shed to paint something. Pouring rain, freezing cold. damp. Then me dad bought a paraffine heater. warmed up nice. Made a boat load of condensation but warmed up. lol
As an old fart, I enjoy the ability to walk down the hallway, via the kitchen, aka coffee maker, to a central heated room, with all the trimnings. LOL
Sorry Bob just had a flashback.
Not a problem Ian! When we hopefully move next yr, I fully intend to have a room for everything in the new house!! The garage room is good but having to carry the model bits, paint and airbrush can be a pain, especially when I often forget stuff!! Also been trapped in there during heavy rain lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
That rings true with me!

I'm often lugging parts/models/bases back & forth at this time of year to dry in the warmth of my house. Not fun when it's throwing it down :confused:

I have to get inventive with boxes & tupperware :tears-of-joy:
Thankfully I have a selection of plastic storage boxes, a large long one for parts to dry in and smaller for back and forth. I look forward to a room for everything lol. One time it was pouring down and when I looked at the house Julie was looking back drinking a warm cuppa, swine lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thankfully I have a selection of plastic storage boxes, a large long one for parts to dry in and smaller for back and forth. I look forward to a room for everything lol. One time it was pouring down and when I looked at the house Julie was looking back drinking a warm cuppa, swine lol
OH DEAR Bob so julie dint make you one then lol an if jen done that to me id have gone ballistic lol AN ALL BECAUSE THE LADY LOVES A HOT DRINK LOL
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
More progress. Now be warned the colours are far from accurate. Dark seagreen on the hull, might use different again for deck? And light grey on the superstructure sides etc. if you are a expert on USN colours look away lol. Please remember practice build

20231107_155630.jpg20231107_155612.jpg
Superstructure loose!
20231107_155707.jpg
Not the greatest photos, very happy with the finish, Mr color

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Right month on, a bit more progress.

Added boot topping
20231121_152933.jpg
Test fitted the painted superstructure. Next paint the deck
20231121_153258.jpg20231121_153251.jpg
Sorry chaps for the very, very slow progress but I have a lot on my plate and it's not nice lol

Forgot to remind folks that the colour scheme would give a USN fan a heart attack!! It's just me practicing with spare paint!!
Bob

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nice to see this steadily moving forwards. Always nice to get the superstructure go on. Good luck painting the deck - rather fiddly I imagine.
.... but I have a lot on my plate and it's not nice
Hope things start improving.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon chaps

Make sure you are sitting down, Yes more progress!

Of course my mum is my only concern. She's finally in a care home and it seems she has vascular dementia, her behaviour certainly meets the diagnosis. At least she has round the clock care and so far I am more than happy with the home.

Brush painting improving, yippee. A lot of practice.

Superstructures fitted but forgot to spray the blasted funnels! Usual mistake, take stuff to spray but forgot bits!!!!

Not the best photos, had to use the flash. The paint colours used would make a USN fan feel ill lol. Used what I had. There are mistakes but a lot less, so happy so far. Feel I am moving or sailing in the right direction, at last

20240104_154948.jpg20240104_154929.jpg20240104_154913.jpg
Phew, almost there!!!

Bob

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Look good Bob, don't be too hard on your self .
YES John you are right bob mate go easy on your self an enjoy the build but your fletcher looks good to me as i have built 2 big lindbergs models that sailed by computer disk an you have done a much better job on yours than i did on mine as your is highly detailed an your modelin shows it off well well done my freind an keep these ships comin what do you all think guys ? hes done well anit he
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Look good Bob, don't be too hard on your self .
Thanks John, appreciated. Should not be making silly mistakes by now!

YES John you are right bob mate go easy on your self an enjoy the build but your fletcher looks good to me as i have built 2 big lindbergs models that sailed by computer disk an you have done a much better job on yours than i did on mine as your is highly detailed an your modelin shows it off well well done my freind an keep these ships comin what do you all think guys ? hes done well anit he
chrisb
Very kind of Chris, thanks
Looks good to me Bob. Keep at it .
Cheers Ian, appreciated

Was beginning to think I was wasting my time posting!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It's never a waste of time posting Bob. If you look at any of the sections' main page you can see the number of views a thread gets and the number of comments. The views are always far higher than the comments. If every thread got a comment for every view we would never get to read them.

I am sure that your "audience" is bigger than you think. The same goes for all that post on here. "You Are Being Watched" lol