Une Ferme Abandonnee.....and some squatters! Normandy, July 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys. I'm chuffed you like me weel!

Time to try and create summat for it to sit in.....

Thanks again.

Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great photos showing the method 570, just proves you don't need to spent to be able to produce something as realistic as that.
Hat doffed.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Nicely distressed looking Ron, I'd leave the out of place paddle, it fits with the rest of the building.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A very belated thanks boys! Sorry for the delay in responding.

I now find I need to push this build to a conclusion so on we go at a rather obscene pace......

I had hoped to confine the whole model to A4 size, but I've just run out of room, so radical alterations are in order.

This was the original layout. See the edge of the A4 foam board base.
P1370856.JPG

I've added some half timbering and brickwork to the gable of the stable block and made me a diddy wall.
P1370884.JPG

Next, to compact the model as much as possible, I've had to spin the mill around thru 90 degrees. This will allow me a bit of wiggle room for the stream. I've still had to add a small strip to the base to give me a bit of a steam down the back side of the mill.

I've also mounted the whole thing on a piece of 4mm plywood and started to build up the banks of the stream and the fish ladders using scrap bits of polystyrene.
The wheel is just loose fitted for now.

P1380121.JPG

P1380122.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A couple of days ago my wife informed me the model needs a bridge. More to the point she wanted one!

Her observation was quite right. A watercourse, no matter how small and knackered, has to have a bridge, doesn't it?

Now't fancy, I've made it from off cuts of foam board and a couple of pieces of cereal packet. Suitably scribed and painted with cheapo acrylics.

One side....
P1380138.JPG

The 'Kelloggs' road. Other cereal packets are available.
P1380140.JPG

T'other side....
P1380137.JPG

I made a booboo when designing the bridge. :upside:
The bridge is square on with the buildings and courtyard. I made the two sides of the bridge opposite hand, but identical, if yer folla. I forgot to take into account the stream runs at an angle to the bridge, so I've ended up with the arch slightly on the scunt. No big deal, but a pain to cut the Kelloggs to fit the cob shape of the arch.
P1380139.JPG

Loosely in situ.
P1380136.JPG

P1380132.JPG

P1380134.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Skew arch bridge looks good Ron. That’s how they built ‘em, arch in line with the roadway for strength :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

One hour ago, my dear wife looked over my shoulder at the model and said "... ....... .... .......!" Sort of.

More to follow ;)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks chaps.

One hour ago, my dear wife looked over my shoulder at the model and said "... ....... .... .......!" Sort of.

More to follow ;)

Strange. On the couple of occasions I met Justine at Cosford she was always polite and very articulate. I can't imagine her resorting to such foul language!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
So she ups and sez. "How are the poor little fish going to get up that high step?"

Sad to admit, but she's right.....

If I had tried to remove the 5mm from the base of the bridge to accommodate the extra thickness of new fish step, the structure would have probably fell apart. So I made the step to allow the bridge to slot in, rather than on to it.

I've also fitted cereal packet card to the stream. This will serve to cover the various sub-surfaces to a uniform texture, ready for some paint.
Tip. Anyone doing similar to this, please make sure you stick the card printed face down. Otherwise the word 'Kelloggs' etc., will show through the finished water.......

I have also started to add a bit of life to the banks of the stream

P1380142.JPG

I still need to re-scribe the upstream bridge base stones....
P1380143.JPG

Base stone re-scribed this side, the bridge loose fitted and all the stream surfaces 'carded'.
P1380144.JPG

P1380145.JPG

P1380146.JPG

"Sorry dear, but the step is still too high."

Third time right? You betcha! Easy fix this time though.........

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great to see this back on the bench Ron. Nothing against your good Lady, but I don't understand her point. I'm no Fishologist, but only 5 fish swim upstream. Salmon to spawn, American Shad, Spotted Seatrout, Hilsa? and Sturgeon. If your dio is including one of the 5, then good fix on the step. If not, the fish should be happy where they are. They can hang around and wait for the food to come floating down to them. If possible, could you shed some light on this Sir. Thanks...

Prost
Allen

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging posts chaps.

Allen. I know precious little about fish habits and neither does my good lady. (Unless they are coated in batter) Does it really matter about the technicalities of 'fish jumping'? Its just a fun model.

Try and perhaps imagine this stream many years ago in its prime. Full to the brim with fish of all kinds leaping up and falling down, the steps. Being an eternal optimist, this is how my wife visualised the waterway.
In her eyes, she made a valid point and for the sake of peace and harmony in the 570 household, I thought it best to go along with her wishes...Right or wrong. ;)

On completion, I hope the stream will look but a shadow of its former self.

At the end of the exercise it will be nothing but a big chunk of imagination and fun for me and my missus - made from cereal boxes and stuff from our cupboards.

Captain Ahab.

Last edited: