SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A brief update,got the cockpit in and joined the two halves,and wings....
IMG20231213181644.jpg
IMG20231213181726.jpg
Yes,it needs a lot of clean up seam wise,and some teasing into position of some parts, but not a hill of beans. Don't forget also,that it's an old,and relatively,cheap kit... all I wanted was an half decent model of one of my favourite Jets,so I'm hoping anyway :smiling3:.... and I must admit, it's a real fun build, despite the extra lengths you have to go to :thumb2:.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hm. Maybe I should just send my photoetch stuff for you to tackle Dave

Hm. Maybe I should just send my photoetch stuff for y
Don't do that Ron look at mine a bit close its quite shabby but I enjoy using it ,wouldn't say the more you do the better you become ,my thinking being the more you use it the more confident you become with confidence comes improvement a bit like the airbrush . Dave

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A bit more done... It's certainly not the kind of kit we're all used to,however, it's definitely one that can turn out to be quite satisfying... I hope!!:tears-of-joy:
LOTS of clean up necessary,and some persuasion,but here....
IMG20231214174225.jpg
Some bits going to gether also,and then.....
IMG20231214190108.jpg
IMG20231214190129.jpg
Job done... Not my best effort ever,but it's almost like when I did a kit as a boy... completely stress free!! :smiling3:

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Don't do that Ron look at mine a bit close its quite shabby but I enjoy using it ,wouldn't say the more you do the better you become ,my thinking being the more you use it the more confident you become with confidence comes improvement a bit like the airbrush . Dave
Solid advice Dave, thanks Buddy. Right after I finished my demolished storage bins I felt spent. Yet, at the same time wished I'd another set to do just to apply the lessons learnt from the first ones....

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A bit more done... It's certainly not the kind of kit we're all used to,however, it's definitely one that can turn out to be quite satisfying... I hope!!:tears-of-joy:
LOTS of clean up necessary,and some persuasion,but here....
View attachment 497581
Some bits going to gether also,and then.....
View attachment 497582
View attachment 497583
Job done... Not my best effort ever,but it's almost like when I did a kit as a boy... completely stress free!! :smiling3:
Well done Andy stress free is how it should be why fill your leisure time(or should that be pleasure time)doing something that's not giving anything back hence that Polish thing although not trashed was put too the shelf of doom. I went back to my loved 72nd scale and although the thing is covered in etch whilst not my favourite I throughly enjoyed the whole thing its not the best but hey I could say it was fun doing it. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Solid advice Dave, thanks Buddy. Right after I finished my demolished storage bins I felt spent. Yet, at the same time wished I'd another set to do just to apply the lessons learnt from the first ones....
Ditto Ron with mine there should have been a strip of etch along the face of the track guards to form a raised lip totally botched my first attempt mullerd the thing only afterwards did a sensible plan of action spring to mind but too late by then but as mentioned next time out confidence won't let the same happen. Dave

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I've always loved dioromas, even as a child in the 70s. I'm also vary impressed with the ones developed by people on this forum.

Anyway I thought I'd give it a go myself. I'll be starting simple and using this Master Box kit. I'm not up to scratch building yet. I have though bought some foamboard and will extend this slightly beyond the sandbags.

I've no idea where this will go and it could be an absolute disaster but I'm going to take my time, do some research, learn some new skills and have fun.

1000012176.jpg

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Definitely the way to go mate - look forward to the end result!
Steve

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've always loved dioromas, even as a child in the 70s. I'm also vary impressed with the ones developed by people on this forum.

Anyway I thought I'd give it a go myself. I'll be starting simple and using this Master Box kit. I'm not up to scratch building yet. I have though bought some foamboard and will extend this slightly beyond the sandbags.

I've no idea where this will go and it could be an absolute disaster but I'm going to take my time, do some research, learn some new skills and have fun.

View attachment 498436
If you havent already, add a post in the Figure Building section of the Forum.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It's been a great kit so far Mark (just not the best looking subject :tears-of-joy:) . Clever engineering and a great fit.

From what I've seen the biggest issue is packing enough weight into the front. Airfix recommends a minimum of 67 grams, so like others I'm stuffing it wherever I can.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I've made a start on the Airfix 1/48 Gannet. I figured I might get the interior done before putting it aside when the biplane GB starts. I'll do a proper blog when I resume, but it's a big box and it's going together really well so far

View attachment 498660

View attachment 498661

View attachment 498662
I'll tag along Andy. Have a link, (or two), to the Gannet.
First, it was the very first aircraft I ever worked upon. Training at HMS Condor in Arbroath. I had to initially check the oleo pressures then change one of the oleo's!! A very memorable activity for a wee 16 year old!!!
Second. I served at HMS Gannet at Prestwick, Ayrshire twice. During that time we had a Gannet as gate guardian.
So I will follow your build with interest.
The progress so far is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.