What's on the Bench 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
I am not necessarily referring to buying just modelling kits etc. the items I mentioned were for other interests.
Yes, we do have model shops in NZ, however the range is rather limited, the quality not always the best, and the prices a bit high, so I very often shop internationally.
To be fair there are times when it is cheaper to pay the high postage and buy from other sources, but of course there are times when I just bite the bullet.
Bottom line is, I chose to live here :smiling2:

Last edited:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I gather that posting things to the UK is rather more expensive than it used to be, plus you get all the extra hassle of VAT, import duties etc. of course. Same the other way, which is why I only order things in the UK these days if there is really no other source for it.
Send as a gift, cuts out the middle man...

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well,as I'm now in the marathon that is painting the camo on my He219,I think it's a good idea to have another build that I can go across to for when I get burn out from it.Much better to do it in stages, just so it doesn't become a bore!
SO,the victim I've chosen is this...
IMG20231208120710.jpg
I've ALWAYS loved the look of a Jag,this kit is apparently very flawed,but, I'm going to be doing it OOTB without going overboard with extras, I just want a half decent rendition of the mighty Jaguar.As I said, it's a "now and then" build,hence there'll be no dedicated blog, just the odd update on here! :thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Put the polish thing on the shelf of doom ,gone back to the tru scale
20231206_100357.jpg
Cut the track guard brackets/supports off ,have etch will use ,bugger didn't realise five pieces to each of the replacements
20231206_103846.jpg
Got loads done today ,these pics a few days old now ,will take some more tomorrow. Dave

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
View attachment 496948
Cut the track guard brackets/supports off ,have etch will use ,bugger didn't realise five pieces to each of the replacements
View attachment 496949
Got loads done today ,these pics a few days old now ,will take some more tomorrow. Dave
I spy a Kv of some sort Dave.Does the etch come with the kit?.
Richard

Reactions: JR

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I spy a Kv of some sort Dave.Does the etch come with the kit?.
Richard
Hi Richard
Unfortunately not i bought it at the same time as the kit probably more than three years ago from a shop in Poland jadarhobby easy enough to find on the web ,their web site i find a bit awkward to negate but if you get into the 72nd upgrade/etch bit there's pages and pages of the stuff tow cables ,barrels ,rivets heads ,bolt heads and more etch sets than you'd ever belive covering most manufacturers ,any 35er's reading this don't fret(did you see what I did there) I think your possibly even better cared for ,not caring to work the best exchange rate dollars ,euros ,zlotys I always pay in euros and let PayPal deal with it. I've used them many times never had a single problem ,orders some times seem to come on foot but thats probably the European postal system.
As for the kit its made by PST enough to make most run for the hills in fact they'd probably be in the running for one of the worst awards ,but as in our previous conversations if your not prepared to put in you won't get out with these kits. Dave

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
Unfortunately not i bought it at the same time as the kit probably more than three years ago from a shop in Poland jadarhobby easy enough to find on the web ,their web site i find a bit awkward to negate but if you get into the 72nd upgrade/etch bit there's pages and pages of the stuff tow cables ,barrels ,rivets heads ,bolt heads and more etch sets than you'd ever belive covering most manufacturers ,any 35er's reading this don't fret(did you see what I did there) I think your possibly even better cared for ,not caring to work the best exchange rate dollars ,euros ,zlotys I always pay in euros and let PayPal deal with it. I've used them many times never had a single problem ,orders some times seem to come on foot but thats probably the European postal system.
As for the kit its made by PST enough to make most run for the hills in fact they'd probably be in the running for one of the worst awards ,but as in our previous conversations if your not prepared to put in you won't get out with these kits. Dave
Exactly mate.Some kits need some TLC.I quite like the look of the IBG models Bren carriers.I might be a devil and order a couple next week.Thinking of maybe the mark 1 in desert and the soviet one with boys anti tank gun.Will check out Jadar for sure.
Happy bench time.
Richard

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm taking a little break from Moskva by doing a quick build of the Revell (ex-Matchbox) 1/76 Krupp Protze KFZ 69 with 3.7cm Pak (03344).

It is a lovely little kit and being an ex-Matchbox kit, it comes with a diorama base. I have completed most assembly and applied a little weathering to the wheels and tyres. Still have more detail painting, decalling and more weathering to do:
Revell_Krupp_Protze_KFZ_69_76_2023_003.JPG

Close-up of the diorama base. It is almost finished but I still need to do a little more painting before I apply a matt varnish:
Revell_Krupp_Protze_KFZ_69_76_2023_004.JPG

That is all for now

Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dragon's 1/35 Early Jagdpanther, zimmerit tiles are a bit larger than customary, just my preference. Was going for a field-applied look. I'm leaning towards leaving off the rear storage boxes & tube on this one. Still a ways to go, but I rather like the look on this one.View attachment 496476View attachment 496477View attachment 496478
Please accept my apologies Ron your build somehow seemed to have slipped through the net ,it certainly seems to be conforming to your vision of the end product ,as for the zim looks bloody good to me personally dont think size or pattern even comes into it with out you mentioning it even then I havent looked closer just looks like zim and a bloody fine job you've made of it. Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well,as I'm now in the marathon that is painting the camo on my He219,I think it's a good idea to have another build that I can go across to for when I get burn out from it.Much better to do it in stages, just so it doesn't become a bore!
SO,the victim I've chosen is this...
View attachment 496857
I've ALWAYS loved the look of a Jag,this kit is apparently very flawed,but, I'm going to be doing it OOTB without going overboard with extras, I just want a half decent rendition of the mighty Jaguar.As I said, it's a "now and then" build,hence there'll be no dedicated blog, just the odd update on here! :thumb2:
It's not to bad a kit. A few bits need sorting but easy to do. It's Airfix plastic in a Revell box if I recall. Builds up better than that Croc from kitty hawk.
Now Mr Airfix has gotten the taste for classic British Birds maybe we will get a new Jag as well. Please.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It's not to bad a kit. A few bits need sorting but easy to do. It's Airfix plastic in a Revell box if I recall. Builds up better than that Croc from kitty hawk.
Now Mr Airfix has gotten the taste for classic British Birds maybe we will get a new Jag as well. Please.
Indeed Ian, I'll give it my best best shot, but I agree,a new Airfix one would be much appreciated...
...... After all it's a classic aircraft. :smiling3:

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Please accept my apologies Ron your build somehow seemed to have slipped through the net ,it certainly seems to be conforming to your vision of the end product ,as for the zim looks bloody good to me personally dont think size or pattern even comes into it with out you mentioning it even then I havent looked closer just looks like zim and a bloody fine job you've made of it. Dave
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your kind words ! It's been a fun project and I will probably want to do Late' version early next year

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
View attachment 496948
View attachment 496949
Hm. Maybe I should just send my photoetch stuff for you to tackle Dave

• Haha
Reactions: JR
Status
Not open for further replies.