What's on the Bench 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As I’m now at my computer, I looked it up — I bought the Simca 5 kit from a Dutch webshop, and now I remember how that went. In the e-mail confirming my order, it said that everything I had ordered was in stock except the Simca, which they had ordered from their supplier and would be in their hands in “1.5 to 2 days” … More like weeks, it turned out, just like last time I ordered something from this shop. It looks like you’re probably right, these kits disappear from shops quickly.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dragon's 1/35 Early Jagdpanther, zimmerit tiles are a bit larger than customary, just my preference. Was going for a field-applied look. I'm leaning towards leaving off the rear storage boxes & tube on this one. Still a ways to go, but I rather like the look on this one.20231202_212737.jpg20231202_212559.jpg20231202_212611.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good to see you again Ron.
That Jagdpanther is looking great, are those Friul tracks ?

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good to see you again Ron.
That Jagdpanther is looking great, are those Friul tracks ?
Hiya John ! The tracks are from a Chinese seller on Ebay ( Timosmodelworld ) and are awfully smoother and shinier than Friuls. They came with individual brass pins, and assembled easily. I need to get some burnishing fluid, doubt that they will take primer well, as-is.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good looking "kitty" Ron love the way you left a few uncovered spots on the zimm. Gives the impression that she's had a hard life. :thumb2:

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good looking "kitty" Ron love the way you left a few uncovered spots on the zimm. Gives the impression that she's had a hard life. :thumb2:
Thanks Rick ! I think in reality the zim would have fallen off in clean square tiles, but I wanted to add a bit more interest to it. Plus, had it it been field-applied hurriedly and thinly enough , perhaps this zim might've worn differently

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As I’m now at my computer, I looked it up — I bought the Simca 5 kit from a Dutch webshop, and now I remember how that went. In the e-mail confirming my order, it said that everything I had ordered was in stock except the Simca, which they had ordered from their supplier and would be in their hands in “1.5 to 2 days” … More like weeks, it turned out, just like last time I ordered something from this shop. It looks like you’re probably right, these kits disappear from shops quickly.
indeed - you can still get this kit and the equally rare 1/48 VW from some Germanic sellers but the postage is prohibitive

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I gather that posting things to the UK is rather more expensive than it used to be, plus you get all the extra hassle of VAT, import duties etc. of course. Same the other way, which is why I only order things in the UK these days if there is really no other source for it.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I gather that posting things to the UK is rather more expensive than it used to be, plus you get all the extra hassle of VAT, import duties etc. of course. Same the other way, which is why I only order things in the UK these days if there is really no other source for it.
Sometimes it’s really not that bad - it an be done for €10 and that’s ok but some want to charge €20 - €30 and that is just plain avarice.
I can get stuff from Australia for £10
I have got stuff from Japan for less
it’s just mainly Germany France and Italy that go crazy so I avoid them.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
International postage is a total rip off to me. It's the downside to living at the other side of the world I suppose.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
International postage is a total rip off to me. It's the downside to living at the other side of the world I suppose.
I kind of do agree - as the mecca of plastic kits are on the Asian side - but we still have the Slavic guys doing their - ICM, IBG, Miniart, ACE, etc
If you keep below a certain cost you can get under the import radar. There are things one can do...

Last edited:

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
I kind do agree - as the mecca of plastic kits are on the Asian side - but we still have the Slavic guys doing their - ICM, IBG, Miniart, ACE, etc
If you keep below a certain cost you can get under the import radar. There are things one can do...
The sort of rip off I'm referring to is ordering 6 paint brushes from the UK and being charged GBP25 for postage, or ordering 5x480ml bottles of liquid from the US and being charged USD130 for postage.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The sort of rip off I'm referring to is ordering 6 paint brushes from the UK and being charged GBP25 for postage, or ordering 5x480ml bottles of liquid from the US and being charged USD130 for postage.
My dear fellow, from whence shop you?

edit: yes, I must admit, I did walk into that one. I can only assume there are no model shops in New Zealand? Why don’t you try Australia?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.