1/35 Great Wall Hobby 12. 8 cm Pak 44 .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, yes sometimes a well produced kit can increase the enthusiasm a little. Good thing you had some good closeup shots of the construction so less of an eye ache that I already have from my build. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
HI John a wonderful build an it gave me eyestrain also tryin to see some of the parts very well done lookin forward to more
chris
Afternoon Chris, did the same to me.Glad your enjoying it.

Nice work Commander
Thanks Lee, normal method of payment will be made. :smiling3:.

Just popped in to see how you are doing mate. I dont know how you feel about it but its one of your best ever builds. Looks like it is going together well. Glad your having fun with this one

Hi Steve, thank you. Not been easy, but so well made it's been a pleasure to build. Looking fwd to the dio construction.

Excellent work 453, very neat construction.

570 , Thanks. Unfortunately it won't be my new 4BO.:crying:.

Hi John, yes sometimes a well produced kit can increase the enthusiasm a little. Good thing you had some good closeup shots of the construction so less of an eye ache that I already have from my build. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard
I think your right Richard, at least no plastic tracks made it easier. :thumb2:

Been painting the first group of figures, the Russian infantry and an officer. This time I left the arms off until I have all the webbing and belts painted as I always get paint everywhere.
Also using very thinned coats to build up the colour so as not to obliterate the detail. Of course this takes much longer as you have to wait for each coat to dry, but it seems to be working.

2020_3.jpg2020_2.jpg2020.jpg

Sorry not the best photos, but you might be able to see what I mean.
The colours picked are from some research, but whatever you pick someone will say its wrong. I have several print outs of colours for uniforms and each one has something slightly different. Light Khaki, dark , mid the same applies to Russian green for the green webbing.
Comments and advice from the figure painters welcome.
John.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks,Any pointer to these figure painting Neil would be welcome.
ooh no pressure , John!
I feel a bit of a fraud, considering there are so many more experienced and talented painters on here but as you ask,here goes....
I follow Peter Day's advice from a couple of years ago on here; I use mostly a 5/0 brush for almost everything (except mixing) and an Optivisor .
My latest discovery is the wet palette, and that has changed painting from a necessary evil to something I feel confident about. It prevents the paint from drying too soon on the palette,which makes it easier to avoid brush marks and lumps, which was always my frustration with acrylics.
I'm gradually learning how to build up the colour rather than trying to get a solid coat at first pass like you do with enamel.
With straps it's often easier to paint them first then paint up to the edge, and you can do the same with thin lines - if you paint it too fat you can often paint the background colour over the top and just leave a tiny edge showing.
For me the main thing is practice, which is why I am doing more and more painting these days.
Hardly a masterclass but I hope it helps?

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
ooh no pressure , John!
I feel a bit of a fraud, considering there are so many more experienced and talented painters on here but as you ask,here goes....
I follow Peter Day's advice from a couple of years ago on here; I use mostly a 5/0 brush for almost everything (except mixing) and an Optivisor .
My latest discovery is the wet palette, and that has changed painting from a necessary evil to something I feel confident about. It prevents the paint from drying too soon on the palette,which makes it easier to avoid brush marks and lumps, which was always my frustration with acrylics.
I'm gradually learning how to build up the colour rather than trying to get a solid coat at first pass like you do with enamel.
With straps it's often easier to paint them first then paint up to the edge, and you can do the same with thin lines - if you paint it too fat you can often paint the background colour over the top and just leave a tiny edge showing.
For me the main thing is practice, which is why I am doing more and more painting these days.
Hardly a masterclass but I hope it helps?
Thanks Neil, being trying the wet pallette and it's far better method. It seems I'm doing the right thing building the colour up. Will just have to take it slow.

I think the figures are looking fine John. You're getting a neat finish which I think is the most important consideration.
Thanks Peter. I can see why you don't do this scale anymore. Even kitted out with all the magnication available I find I can only work for about 15 mins before I find myself blinking to clear the eye. It's a b****er .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WOW John ive just looked all through your build again an that gun model is in my opinion one of the most detailed models ive ever seen an now you on the figures this build should be a cracker im still followin on
:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

chris

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
WOW John ive just looked all through your build again an that gun model is in my opinion one of the most detailed models ive ever seen an now you on the figures this build should be a cracker im still followin on
:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

chris
Very kind of you to say Chris. I think one of the reasons for being able to build it was taking my time. You just couldn't do too much at one go .More figures to come !

First Name
Wouter
wow, that gun is a huge chap even at this scale! Nice build mate, and good to see the figs getting started!

Cheers

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
wow, that gun is a huge chap even at this scale! Nice build mate, and good to see the figs getting started!

Cheers
Thanks Wouter, and good news today well ahead of expected delivery date I have had these arrive.
2020_5_2a.jpg

These will be perfect as spectators to the gun.

Meanwhile the other figures are slowly proceeding.
No arms on yet as trying to paint the torso better and easier without them. Also I can paint the kit off , leaving the back clean , remove a little of the paint and then successfully glue.
I have looked at some perfect Hornet Heads, but will have to clean out the helmets so they fit. Also there is the problem of drilling into the torso , last time I ended up with some rather large holes !

2020_6a.jpg2020_7a.jpg
Still plenty to do on these, but with applying thinners coats of paint it's easier to apply some shading without obliterating the detail.
Ant advice from the figure painters would be taken , and welcomed.

Thank for looking in.

First Name
Andrew
I am probably considered a ‘figure painter’ by some but I admit in my book that it’s something I dabble with. I get a reasonable result and have to relearn each time I do it but I’m not quite sure how I got there often?! We all develop our own ‘style‘ but the guys like Peter have some great tips to help us on our way. My friend Mike Butler says practice is the key.
Keep trying and learn but remember to have fun while you do it.
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Figures are looking fine and will compliment the gun perfectly. Those Dragon figures are very nice, I've not seen that set before.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
those figures are looking good John :thumb2:
Thanks Neil, there hope then :smiling3:

I am probably considered a ‘figure painter’ by some but I admit in my book that it’s something I dabble with. I get a reasonable result and have to relearn each time I do it but I’m not quite sure how I got there often?! We all develop our own ‘style‘ but the guys like Peter have some great tips to help us on our way. My friend Mike Butler says practice is the key.
Keep trying and learn but remember to have fun while you do it.
Andy
Andy thanks for looking in, I think practice is the key alright and fully agree with you on the having to relearn.

Hi John
Figures are looking fine and will compliment the gun perfectly. Those Dragon figures are very nice, I've not seen that set before.
Jim

Cheers Jim , I think so too. I've never seen them before either, and the assembly is moulding method is different as you will see from the photos.

The first thing I noticed was the two part torso.
2020_3.jpg
Front and then back.
2020_2.jpg

The legs, less boots.
2020_5.jpg

Looking on Scale mates this is a new tool.

Soviet Guards Infantry
1944-45
Dragon | No. 6376 | 1:35

Facts
Brand:Dragon
Title:Soviet Guards Infantry 1944-45
Number:6376
Scale:1:35
Type:Figure
Released:| Initial release - new tool
Barcode:0089195863768 (EAN)
Topic:Russian Soldiers (WW2) » Humans (World War II)

2020_4.jpg

Lastly hands.
2020.jpg
Any one else seen this method from Dragon before? I like the idea of separate hands and feet. How it all fit will have to be seen.

John.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Coming along nicely. Should make it easier to mix & match components to achieve more poses. PaulE

D

Deleted member 6559

Nothing wrong with the painting so far John. I find it's all a matter of continually correcting and adjusting as you go along, and in the long term, as Andy says, it's all about practice, practice, practice.

I have attempted some similar Dragon figures before, but I didn't find them as well done as these appear to be. They seem more aimed at the modeller than figure painter, having so many separate parts, which is unusual, especially at 1/35.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. Nice updates looking great

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Just caught up John, nicely built gun very neat :thumb2:
Great start at the figs too, think the mentioned setup will be suited for the big AT gun:smiling: