1/35 Great Wall Hobby 12. 8 cm Pak 44 .

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
john,
Good to see you back at the bench mate. A great looking set of figures.

Reactions: JR

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
looking good so far John, love the figures, (watching these closely as i'm going to end up adding some to my T-34).

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The wanderer returns! Thought we had lost you to the fairies at the end of your garden :smiling2: ;) :thumb2:

Nice to see you have been busy with the figures. They are certainly looking the part. Luvin the extra detailing and the poses look very natural. Great work all round mate
Hi Steve cheers, nearly knackered my self with the garden work, worth it but glad it's done. Too old these days for such stuff.
I know there's a lot more figures than usual but hope the new brushes prove their buying.

Welcome back John, and that's a fine collection of figures you've put together there.
Thanks Peter, keep an eye on me please and shout out when I start something wrong! .
Hi John
Missed you. Figures look great. Agree totally about the Hornet heads. You're on to a winner here.
Jim
Hello Jim, thanks,nice to be back modelling amongst friends.
Apart from having to sand and cut those bald heads to get helmets to fit
john,
Good to see you back at the bench mate. A great looking set of figures.
Paul, cheers, been perusing that book again that you kindly sent, found a good tip on reducing brushes to give thinner lines !
looking good so far John, love the figures, (watching these closely as i'm going to end up adding some to my T-34).
Chris hi ,thanks for commenting, there's quite a few sets around of tank riders and crews to pick from. If your up for it take a look at Hornet heads some good tankies.

Thanks for the comments, hopefully I can get a good day in tomorrow and get the rest of the kit on the guys. Then some more paint :thumb2:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some excellent work here Dzohn. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
453!! How the Hell are you? you have been away some time now! Loving the "figgys".......Can't wait to see the Kraut pow's. I now understand why you bought some new hairy sticks..........if it were me I'd be looking to buy a new set of eyeballs......in my scale that number of figs. all at once would make me dizzzzzzzzy! Keep up the good work!
Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
Nice to see you back at it. Great build on the gun, and a Good start on the figures as well.
Regarding that tip about cutting down brushes to get thinner lines.......in my opinion it doesn’t work. Best way to get thin lines is a quality sable brush, with a good tip, and properly thinned paint. Rosemary and Co series 33 sables are good for the price, and at this scale you shouldn’t need to go below a size 1. The bigger belly will hold more paint, reducing tip drying and enabling you to paint for longer without recharging the brush. This really helps when you are trying to paint consistent thin lines.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Some excellent work here Dzohn. PaulE

Thanks Paul.

453!! How the Hell are you? you have been away some time now! Loving the "figgys".......Can't wait to see the Kraut pow's. I now understand why you bought some new hairy sticks..........if it were me I'd be looking to buy a new set of eyeballs......in my scale that number of figs. all at once would make me dizzzzzzzzy! Keep up the good work!
Rick H.

Hi Rick, your about right with the new eyeballs , might well need a new right one with built in magnication when they are done !

Hi John
Nice to see you back at it. Great build on the gun, and a Good start on the figures as well.
Regarding that tip about cutting down brushes to get thinner lines.......in my opinion it doesn’t work. Best way to get thin lines is a quality sable brush, with a good tip, and properly thinned paint. Rosemary and Co series 33 sables are good for the price, and at this scale you shouldn’t need to go below a size 1. The bigger belly will hold more paint, reducing tip drying and enabling you to paint for longer without recharging the brush. This really helps when you are trying to paint consistent thin lines.
Thanks Tim .Not tried it yet on the brushes. The new ones that I've just bought seem about right. I do have some Rosemary brushes, and very nice they are. Will just carry on .

All looking good John :smiling3:.
Thank you and good to see you Ralph.:thumb2:no
Nice looking figures John. :thumb2:

Cheers Kevin.

Unfortunately didn't get any bench time in today, did some 1/1 jobs had lunch and did a" Simon T " fell asleep and woke up at 17 .50 !
Hopefully tomorrow it might happen !

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. I turn my back for a minute and now I see Cow Girl Go Go dancers being posted here what kinda build is this away still seated Rick pass me some more Yorkshire tea

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John. I turn my back for a minute and now I see Cow Girl Go Go dancers being posted here what kinda build is this away still seated Rick pass me some more Yorkshire tea
Lee thats to keep the interest up !

Sorry Lee, Matron drank it all when she dosed up JR, with his last round of meds. Rick H.
Rick, you know Lee likes a cup of Yorkshire, make him some please. Matron wants to know why you put a large spider in her case.

Took a load of photos, and you'll be pleased to know half of them were :poop:, rather rushed than a little time taken, well that's my excuse.

All the kit is now in place, weapons ready to have straps fitted, they will go on after the painting is completed.
First time for trying chin straps, quite pleased, think they may be a little wide. Still going to be fun painting the faces !
I put a thinned coat of Ammo brown primer on all the figures, I know lots of you don't use any primer, but I find the paint comes off without any.

2020_17.jpg

Thinned top coat on the jacket, the helmet had had a coat of green before, but going over it with the thinned primer and painting again has given it a more used look.

Russians, fully kitted.

2020_12.jpg
The Germans.

2020_18.jpg
Sorry about the photos.
Going to try thinned coats of paint , so I don't obliterate the details.

Thanks for looking in, all comments and tip more than welcome.

John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
JR, someone has to keep Matron on her toes.....and what better way than to give her something to wet her knickers over :tongue-out3: There's a mop and bucket by the door. Cracking work on the figgys. I expect the kraut pow's are next up. that brown wash did the trick, made the details pop!
Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The above was done yesterday and I forgot to post it !

Today saw the German POWS having some top coats put on, remembering Peter's post where he showed various green differences in the green I thought rather than have a bland colour I'd attempt some variation .

Sitting in the garden with head worn optivisor on I had a pleasant day applying thin coats of greens.

I see on the whites I need to cover up some of the wider stripes , quite fun trying to judge depth of field, but I think there ok with a bit of attention.

2020_13.jpg2020_14A.jpg2020_9A.jpg2020_11A.jpg

Slow work, looking at the photos I can see some of the shadow lines are over thick, when your painting and there wet the seem to blend in better !

Comments, abuse, or help greatly accepted.:smiling3:

John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming on nicely John. Regarding the collar flashes, it’s always easier to cut a painted line back to proper thickness using the base colour than it is painting it thin enough I the first place....and it only took me about ten years to work that out.
ps, you did post that other mail yesterday, at 9:45 pm.....

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Coming on nicely John. Regarding the collar flashes, it’s always easier to cut a painted line back to proper thickness using the base colour than it is painting it thin enough I the first place....and it only took me about ten years to work that out.
ps, you did post that other mail yesterday, at 9:45 pm.....
Thank you Tim, shall redo tomorrow after gardening. Perhaps a mod could remove the double post .