1/35 Great Wall Hobby 12. 8 cm Pak 44 .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
They look like digital sculpt to me.
Andy
Right Andy, you mean just drawn with a cad program ? Some vert fine sections, esp those hands.

Coming along nicely. Should make it easier to mix & match components to achieve more poses. PaulE
Thanks Paul, they will suit Hornet heads, started to open up the neck earlier to have a try. The parts have square pegs, so might be easy to alter the angle of arms with a little sanding.
The faces on the kit are also in two halves, not much impressed with the moulding though, so will hope to use the Hornet.

Nothing wrong with the painting so far John. I find it's all a matter of continually correcting and adjusting as you go along, and in the long term, as Andy says, it's all about practice, practice, practice.

I have attempted some similar Dragon figures before, but I didn't find them as well done as these appear to be. They seem more aimed at the modeller than figure painter, having so many separate parts, which is unusual, especially at 1/35.

Thanks Peter, on the parts the bottom 4 sections of the jacket look fine, but are hard to get to sit right .Already one has some filler..

John. Nice updates looking great

Thanks Lee, tea is on.:smiling2:

Just caught up John, nicely built gun very neat :thumb2:
Great start at the figs too, think the mentioned setup will be suited for the big AT gun:smiling:

Hi Fernando nice of you to join in, yes seemed the best outcome with not being able to get any ammo. Never heard back from R.B.

This afternoon saw some more of the new figures.
2020_3_2a.jpg
Leaving the arms off again to allow me to paint the hidden parts.Think the sitting figure is nice, though he has a different method of attaching the head.
Hopefully more tomorrow.
Also sent for some Life Colour paints for faces and Russian uniforms from John, hopefully will improve my face painting and uniforms, the Vallejo colours I have I'm not keen on the choice.

Thanks for looking in. Comment and tips more than welcome.:smiling3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
No worries mate as soon as i get unpacked it will be in the post lol.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good evening.
Changed some of those 2 part heads for some Hornet.

There is a collar missing if I use the Hornet heads, but think I can make one up with some White Milliput.
The collars are.

Very thin, sorry about the photo
2020_7.jpg2020_6.jpg

This is how the guys now look.

2020_2.jpg2020_3.jpg2020_5A.jpg2020_4A.jpg
My question is does the neck look right in relation to the torso, or does it want to be further in, or out.
Comments please. I can then get those 2mm collars made and fitted !

Thanks John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The neck looks the ideal length John. A small strip of Milliput is all you need fro the collar. Good work.
Thanks Peter,:thumb2: that will do it for me ! These heads are 100% better than the kit ones.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks about right to me John. If anything I would think the neck would need to be slightly longer (ie further out), but it is a very slight adjustment.
Good luck with the collars.
Cheers
Paul

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks about right to me John. If anything I would think the neck would need to be slightly longer (ie further out), but it is a very slight adjustment.
Good luck with the collars.
Cheers
Paul
Thanks Paul, think I'm going to leave them as they are and just wick in some CA then do the collars.

I agree with Peter
go for it John!
Hi Neil, thanks, it's all go tomorrow after

gardening :nerd: With the paints on their way looking fwd to trying them out .

Last edited:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great work on the figures. Looking forward to seeing these painted up.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work on the figures. Looking forward to seeing these painted up.
Thanks Steve, been a bit slow as cutting down a very old Clematis that is at least 40 years old, the shed roof under it surprisingly is still there ! Also been so hot, start on the plant at 0930 till 1100 then stop. Stick some plastic in the afternoon, then it was the F1 . Hopefully will get a post in tomorrow.

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Jon I just found this thread looking forward to further updates from you

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice bit of work there JR. Looks like the lads have you going in the right direction and the figs will look the part when finished. Rick H. :thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jon I just found this thread looking forward to further updates from you
Nice bit of work there JR. Looks like the lads have you going in the right direction and the figs will look the part when finished. Rick H. :thumb2:
Hi Joe and Rick, thanks for looking in. The gun sits on the bench while surrounded by figures in various stages of build and paint. Having drilled out for the Hornet replacement heads I now have to redo the collars of the shirts. I tried some white Milliput, but might have a go with some tape .Been busy on the garden with some 1/1 jobs, and can't manage both and to feel like modelling .:disappointed:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi all, well 17 days later and I'm back , being doing loads of 1/1 which is all done so can get back to the figures and then the dio part.

There will be 3 different groups.

The first standing around the gun with the Officer another walking by on the way to the battle, and a third group of German prisoners being marched of in the opposite direction.

Searching through my spares box I managed to find some helmets that had a curved internal, so these with a minor chopping about of the Hornet heads fitted.

Thought the German prisoner set had some nice mouldings and heads.

Loads still do do, decided to put the arms on and the kit and trying to paint things off the figure proving tiresome and very fiddly. Hopefully I will still be able to get the rifle/machine gun and helmet straps on.

2020_2.jpg2020.jpg2020_3.jpg2020_4.jpg2020_5.jpg2020_6.jpg
You can see the Hornet heads , such a difference but well worth it.

Comments, hints anything that might help welcome.

Thanks for looking in.

John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The wanderer returns! Thought we had lost you to the fairies at the end of your garden :smiling2: ;) :thumb2:

Nice to see you have been busy with the figures. They are certainly looking the part. Luvin the extra detailing and the poses look very natural. Great work all round mate

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Missed you. Figures look great. Agree totally about the Hornet heads. You're on to a winner here.
Jim