1/35 KV-2 BUNKER BUSTER BY TRUMPETER

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I found a video with contemporary film of the Dukla Pass battle, and many of the Russian tanks did indeed have slogans on the turret sides.
I made a slight mistake and left out the word “all” by accident (that is: “everyone knows all Russian tanks …”, which kind of defeats the point I was trying to make :sad:

True, there were Russian tanks with slogans on them. A large number, probably the majority, didn’t — but if you look only at models then you would come to the opposite conclusion :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I’ve never had brandy hope it works.
Then you've an experience to have ;), strong spirit I think would best describe it. You could always have a Southern Comfort Lee.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Then you've an experience to have ;), strong spirit I think would best describe it. You could always have a Southern Comfort Lee.
John I stopped drinking liquor over 20 years ago. I married a Preachers Daughter and I knew she would put up with me drinking it was well worth it we’ve been together for 24 years

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John I stopped drinking liquor over 20 years ago. I married a Preachers Daughter and I knew she would put up with me drinking it was well worth it we’ve been together for 24 years
Your not alone Lee the last beer I had must have been 5 years ago, the only alcohol I've touched recently was a glass of Baileys Irish cream whisky , and that was 1 year ago !

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Your not alone Lee the last beer I had must have been 5 years ago, the only alcohol I've touched recently was a glass of Baileys Irish cream whisky , and that was 1 year ago !
Yes I Really like that stuff.

Reactions: JR

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I've usually a bottle of single malt in the house (how full it is depends on how long I've had it ;) ) but it usually last about 9 months.

• Haha

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Don't want to seem bit of a dinlo but is that for real or photo shop. Dinlo Dave.
David definitely Photoshopped as the turret alone weighed 12 tons I would think it would fall over at that angle.

John mentions fire on the last page & then everyone is hitting the bottle, we're only three pages in, what next?:rolling::dizzy::astonished:
It's ok at the moment Graeme the drink was only to calm Lee's nerves , but he prefers tea. Any way still gluing plastic so things are quite safe until I get the the dio!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good afternoon KV fans and Bob.;)

A reasonable day yesterday, a lot of cleaning very faint seems lines on wheels, thank goodness this wasn't some German over engineered beast think I'd have been doing it for days. :upside:

Lower wheels assembled I continued with the upper rollers, tight locating pin so tight

2020CROP.jpg
The one snapped off in the back part of the wheel. No worries out with the drill, some mains copper earth inserted into that hole .
2020.jpg
became this.

2020_2.jpg
Back part of wheel also drilled out to remove the plastic, glued on with front section.
2020_3.jpg
Some of you will notice I have put two of the lower suspension arms right up to the stops, going to try to heat the tracks at that point to bend upwards and have debri under it on the dio. Might work or it might never be mentioned again :smiling3:

With that part done I set too and fitted the lower wheels and sprockets, including the mud scrapers, I for got those on another model and it was even more fun trying to fit them later.

2020_4.jpg

Then came the tracks, now my dislike of plastic tracks is well known, this time I thought as they had built in sag they would at least look the part so I began.

The separate links fitted well, even staying together on the flat without glue. Deciding to do the upper track first and the rear sprocket first, keeping to the instructions a start was made. Glued the separate links using Revell Contacta I made up the rear for the sprocket.

2020_6.jpg

Well it's a start, still dislike hate them, would have prefered metal lincs like Fruil , but none to be had in the normal UK stockists.

At this point I've called it a day.

Comments welcome , and thanks for looking in.

Attachments

• 2020_5.jpg
    2020_5.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 4

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Your work just gets better and better - your skills have come on so much. You may not like plastic tracks but they look good so worth the effort and stress. Planning the contour into the lower track shows good forward planning and will add realism to the finished dio.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John
I agree with Jim completely your work just gets better and better with each build.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
Your work just gets better and better - your skills have come on so much. You may not like plastic tracks but they look good so worth the effort and stress. Planning the contour into the lower track shows good forward planning and will add realism to the finished dio.
Jim

Thanks Jim, didn't seem like it earlier :smiling2:. Hope I can bend the bottom track, any suggestions heat gun or hot water? Don't want any unplanned fire though. :nerd:.

John
I agree with Jim completely your work just gets better and better with each build.
Cheers Paul, comments like that certainly lifts the mojo esp when you think it looks bad.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Don't want to seem bit of a dinlo but is that for real or photo shop. Dinlo Dave.
Clearly photoshopped. You can tell (if you didn’t know from the looks of the vehicle) because, for example, not only the angles of the barrels are all exactly the same, but also the lighter and darker spots on them.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Will be an update tomorrow, been battling with PE and the outcome is not in my favor.:cold-sweat::cold-sweat::cold-sweat: No matter how I try some of the PE is ridiculously small, I know some of you do wonders with it, but trying to cut out a bolt head that is less than a mm then to try and pick it up is beyond me, even with that wax pencil that some times works, but never seems to for me !
Even tried soldering ! That was ok for the locker bases but the lids defeated me.Like wise the track guards had strips that ran the whole length, and had to be fixed the outer edge, the whole pe kit for those is back in the draw ! Metal barrel is on and the tracks are progressing.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely John.

Hear you on the PE front. I look at some of it and think......HOW???

Joining in on the alcohol consumption discussion, never drunk it, have tried many types and never acquired the taste. Can only imagine how much liver damage and money that has saved me - especially when you consider the 14 years I spent working in law enforcement in London....:fearful:

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Coming on nicely John.

Hear you on the PE front. I look at some of it and think......HOW???

Joining in on the alcohol consumption discussion, never drunk it, have tried many types and never acquired the taste. Can only imagine how much liver damage and money that has saved me - especially when you consider the 14 years I spent working in law enforcement in London....:fearful:

Keep up the good work.

Andrew
Hi Andrew, agree , bet you saw the worst in people that alcohol brought out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the photos from yesterday's battle.

Attempted soldering

2020_2.jpg2020_3.jpg
At this stage I was pleased. ok would need more practice
When I tried to put the lid on which sits on those side it all went pear shaped, so put away. End off.

2020_7.jpg
Back in the draw to stay, looks good , but does anyone think that fighting with those small parts is worth the effort. I'd love to be able to do it.

Carrying on I glued the barrel together then cut off the internal part that fits into the front on the housing.

2020_4turned.jpg
This became .

2020_5.jpg
2020_6.jpg
The small piece of wire was an attempt at the handle on the side of those bins.

Well another day, so onward with the tracks.

Thanks for looking in, comments welcome.

Dzhon.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
If PE is not a kit nessessity and your not enjoying it then don't do it. Unfortunately so many modern kits include PE and it has to be used as there is no plastic substitute. However I'm very impressed with how the build is going. Keep up the great work my friend