1/35 KV-2 BUNKER BUSTER BY TRUMPETER

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Soldering iron or blowtorch for the soldering? Sometimes it gives a better result with a blowtorch, but that is harder to do.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greetings plastic fans, and also anyone who likes Rubber band Tracks. :surprised:

Yes rubber band tracks, those plastic ones have gone, into the great grey bin, not really the tracks fault but mine, had the top sag row to far to the rear. In trying to reshape them after adding some more glue they broke. Can't be bothered to prat about trying to save them. If your not enjoying it what's the point.

Out came those Rubber things, decided to see if I could replicate sag, drilled a series of holes into the hull. Using thick paper clips cut into suitable length I I put a track back on and pushed in the wire. Now as the hull is two sections of plastic thick there is enough to hold the pinin flat.

2020.jpg
Ok its a bit over saged, but a great improvement from the normal no sag look you would expect.
They are now off, the track guards as well and all washed a;long with the hull sides.
Drying now so later I shall put some primer on and see it I can with a little extender stop tip drying .

Thanks for following a somewhat rubbish follow up to the bunker, the good thin there are buildings to come, now that is something I enjoy.

Dzhon.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
A great build so far mate. Don't get discouraged with the PE it can add a lot but times it is no better than the kit part. As to soldering, you probably do this already but I always give it a good clean with scotch brite other names are available. then use a good flux.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
A great build so far mate. Don't get discouraged with the PE it can add a lot but times it is no better than the kit part. As to soldering, you probably do this already but I always give it a good clean with scotch brite other names are available. then use a good flux.
Thanks Paul, no forgot all about cleaning the PE ! Just knocked off one of the air intake screens to make matters worse.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If you think that is over sag JR, you haven't seen the late war or Berlin shots of Russian tanks that were about to walk out of their track assemblies!.....I still marvel at the fact that they held together. :thumb2: Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If you think that is over sag JR, you haven't seen the late war or Berlin shots of Russian tanks that were about to walk out of their track assemblies!.....I still marvel at the fact that they held together. :thumb2: Rick H.
Thanks Rick , that will do for me.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Today will see the priming of the tracks and sides of the hull and under the track guards. Hopefully the paint will behave and won't end up in the bin !

More later in next gripping installment :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
First up date

The one shot primer has behaved, need a slight addition of flow aid as Andrew had said. 2020.jpg so lower hull spayed , the tracks and under the guards.Not my best spraying , but for a primer it will do.

2020.jpg
2020_2 CROP.jpg

I washed the hull in warm soapy water, rinsed off and allowed to dry, they are however still a few grease spots.

The rest of the primers all Vallejo have gone !!! YES INTO THE BIN.

Really had enough pratting about , when I want to spray I want to spray, not time spent becoming a chemist. Too old to be messing about.

Out of interest i decided to try out some 3rd Gen paint. Using a 4BO with some 3RD GEN thinners I sprayed a sheet of plastic card. I deliberty put the ab down and left it, then picked up and low and behold it carried on spraying. No more of that tip drying, so it actually does as they say. Makes such a difference, so much so that I will look fwd to spraying again.

Comments welcome .

D

Deleted member 7181

Glad to hear you had a good time with the ak paint John, they certainly changed my mind about acrylics.

They still aren't quite up there with lacquers for super thin translucent layers, but for those that don't want to use lacquer, they are a great alternative.

I've had one dodgy bottle that clogged and splattered, but the rest have been fine, and I'm more than happy to use them where I'm not going for fancy effects.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Glad to hear you had a good time with the ak paint John, they certainly changed my mind about acrylics.

They still aren't quite up there with lacquers for super thin translucent layers, but for those that don't want to use lacquer, they are a great alternative.

I've had one dodgy bottle that clogged and splattered, but the rest have been fine, and I'm more than happy to use them where I'm not going for fancy effects.
That's good to know Andy, thanks.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great stuff John so pleased you've given the alchemy the boot ,sorry you had bother with the link and length , I've found the secret to the pre sag ones is to stand back and make sure the top of each sag is on each return roller it should go fine from there,dont want to go into it here but if you want ill pm you with what I do with the separate link types in your kit ,as for the etch I think most of us struggle you've given it a bloody good go and got yourself and the rest of us further up the learning curve so well done , now your chomping at the airbrush looking forward to the next installment well done sir . Other half going back for Boris and taking all his stuff with her next week so after nearly eight weeks should get the work bench back got a nice little(1/72) bit of Russian lined up. Dave

• Love

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great stuff John so pleased you've given the alchemy the boot ,sorry you had bother with the link and length , I've found the secret to the pre sag ones is to stand back and make sure the top of each sag is on each return roller it should go fine from there,dont want to go into it here but if you want ill pm you with what I do with the separate link types in your kit ,as for the etch I think most of us struggle you've given it a bloody good go and got yourself and the rest of us further up the learning curve so well done , now your chomping at the airbrush looking forward to the next installment well done sir . Other half going back for Boris and taking all his stuff with her next week so after nearly eight weeks should get the work bench back got a nice little(1/72) bit of Russian lined up. Dave
Hi Dave yes please do ! Will wait with interest for your 1/72 Russian.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work with the One Shot. Mr T and I had a conversation about making sure the paint is cleaned off the spout and lid and making sure it is fully locked shut when finished using. It seems it can easily stay open and dry out inside the the bottle. Great to see you falling back in love with your airbrush. Keep up the great work my friend

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Coming on nicely there John. Tracks looking good :thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice work with the One Shot. Mr T and I had a conversation about making sure the paint is cleaned off the spout and lid and making sure it is fully locked shut when finished using. It seems it can easily stay open and dry out inside the the bottle. Great to see you falling back in love with your airbrush. Keep up the great work my friend
Thanks Steve, yes I remember discussing that with MrT, The flip top is useless. We both decided that removing it when you needed paint and pouring was a better way.
I didn't want to go over to Tamiya unless I had too, will still use my Vallejo for brush work and for AB use AK 3 gen.

Coming on nicely there John. Tracks looking good :thumb2:
Morning Si, yes they look ok and the paint has stayed on them, didn't know how the rubber would react to the paint when I put them back on. Pleased with the sag, as long as the wire doesn't stand out too much. If you cut it any shorted the outer part of the track tends to curve over.

Looking good John
Thanks Joe.:thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
The primer looks to have gone on nicely. I have a couple of bottles of Vallejo primer lurking at the back of a shelf. Only ever used them once or twice and they've been sat there for years. Like many I couldn't get on with them at all. I think the wires you've used for the sag will never show once painted in a track colour.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
The primer looks to have gone on nicely. I have a couple of bottles of Vallejo primer lurking at the back of a shelf. Only ever used them once or twice and they've been sat there for years. Like many I couldn't get on with them at all. I think the wires you've used for the sag will never show once painted in a track colour.
Jim
Thanks Jim, if it works well I shall be really pleased, just need to find some more old style paper clips , they were just the right thickness and didn't bend. :smiling3: