1/35 SCALE Academy / Zvezda 13506 KV- 2 Tank

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Excellent John :thumb2:

If you remember I got the same kit and Jordi aftermarket set at the same time

The sprues look like the usual average quality of Zvezda - there are a lot of ejector pin marks on the inside face of the track sections
I do remember well Simon, you pm'd me about the sale, and at those prices I think we both took full advantage.
I did notice the ejector pin marks on many of the mouldings, don't tell me I have to fill those on the tracks as well ? I was relying on my mud supply:smiling3::smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi John, sent you a PM on that book don't know if you got it or not.
Pete.

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
when it did fire the results were catastrophic to the target.
The main reason for the KV-2’s existence was the Finnish defences constructed during the Winter War of late 1939 to early 1940, which the Soviets found needed a very big gun to blow up. In other words, it fulfilled partly the same function as the later British Churchill and Centurion AVRE tanks and the American M728 CEV — just not as well.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The main reason for the KV-2’s existence was the Finnish defences constructed during the Winter War of late 1939 to early 1940, which the Soviets found needed a very big gun to blow up. In other words, it fulfilled partly the same function as the later British Churchill and Centurion AVRE tanks and the American M728 CEV — just not as well.

Yes being developed early in the war and not many of them were produced due to the problems with mechanical ability(More broke down than were taken out by German armour.)
The reason that none had any slogons on them was it was still early in the war when the Russians were were in a defensive position. It wasn't common to put slogans on until the fight back with advent of the T34, and the push against the Germans began .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening all.
Had a good afternoon in the cave and managed a lot of the small stuff with out swearing ! :surprised:

Started at the beginning !! and having sat and read the whole sheets set too.
Slightly more flash than I had first thought, but very small and little fiddly on some smaller sections.

2019.jpg

The plan then was to build up the hull, but due to it having a rather large bend in it I resorted to hot water and the press method.

2019_2.jpg

It can sit like this until tomorrow, the side pieces aren't to cleaver either, but as I've glued parts on I decided against any hot water as don't know how it might effect the glue. Using those metal bars as support I will glue the sides on in the morning.
Engine , less the pan , want to have the engine deck open so will do some pipe work later.

2019_3.jpg

Machine guns and some of the gun and elevation parts were next, along with a hatch. I've used the kit handles here as they are very small.
2019_5.jpg
Gun traverse part. Gun itself was a easy assembly.
2019_6.jpg

2019_8.jpg
Instruction are good , nicely drawn and understandable.

Comments welcome.

Attachments

• 2019_4.jpg
    2019_4.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 2

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This will be fun to watch JR. I have a couple of these in the 1/87 stash, so will follow with interest. Pass the cakes and coffee please.
Rick H.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I think Rick go the last comfy chair John just wait for you to serve the Yorkshire tea. I always liked this tank

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi John hope the warm water method works normally does good luck with the rest of it watching from the back
Pete

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello John
I'm with Pete at the back...
Mike.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks
I think Rick go the last comfy chair John just wait for you to serve the Yorkshire tea. I always liked this tank
Hi Lee , yes one of my favorites. Tea is on its way !

Hadn't realised it has a bit of engine John

A version of the engine from the T34 modified for greater power

V2 engine
Hi Simon , yes indeed a greater hp , designed from an aircraft engine. All Ally so kept the weight down.
I've got a 1944 report from the British Army in which they are discussing the engine in detail .
I've tried to up load a file but says it doesn't have the allowed extension :cold-sweat:
Will copy and paste the link from later using the pc. A great site with numerous tank instruction manuels.

Well John after looking this one over I may have to buy one in 1/48 scale
Yes saw you had Lee, think you will enjoy building it.
Hi John hope the warm water method works normally does good luck with the rest of it watching from the back
Pete
Well it did help Pete, but the top section esp the track guards were well out of line when I tried to glue, by at least a 15 mm ! Sticked glued and with the aid of some strong tape got them down. Hopefully later when I look again it will have stayed glued. My first build of this was perfect moulding wise and I had none of these problems thank goodness as it would have put me off completely.
Hello John
I'm with Pete at the back...
Mike.
Hi Mike, best place possibly, slight Anglo Saxon time yesterday, and knowing you don't sweat was best you didn't hear ! :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:

John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
More later on this, it's progressing well, in fact nearly finished. Why they included in the kit PE screens for a Trumpeter is beyond me, they are longer for a start. Of course the amount of small parts including some full stops ( realised they are bolt heads ) and brackets for the screens that I just can't cope with . The aluminum barrel however is great and does look the part .
As this is going to be a dio taken from a photo of a abandoned tank stuck in a river I'm going to stay with the kit plastic offering, not the best for me but as it's up to the track guards in water nothing will be seen in any great detail.
Don't know why the hull and upper sections were so badly warped, may be it has been stored badly by the wholesaler , I do remember my first one that I included in those opening photos of was perfect .
More later, when I get up ! ( No doubt a certain person from Bamberg will have something to say about this ! )

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi John - the Jordi Rubio set was designed for the Trumpeter kit but a KV2 should be a KV2 so if the grilles are wrong size one of the kits is presumably wrong :thinking:

• Haha

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John - the Jordi Rubio set was designed for the Trumpeter kit but a KV2 should be a KV2 so if the grilles are wrong size one of the kits is presumably wrong :thinking:
Most likely my inability to work with the PE Simon, I did think it can't be that different !
pm sent

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello John,
See you have been having a few issues, this is my solution to warped or bent offerings...
20200102_155007.jpg
I have four peices of the steel bar and numerous clamps which I bought off ebay for when I was straightening out the AA Chieftain hull, just clamp the lot to an A5 size thich ceramic tile, and with a manic laugh plunge the lot into very hot water. Leave untill you cannot see red dots before your eyes and then run under cold water, and do not forget to dry the steel after.
If not set fire to it....
Cheers,
Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
You're up and running :thumb2:. Seems to be rather a lot of itty-bitty bits. Shame about the warping. I hope that clamping, gluing and swearing sorts it out.
Jim