1/35 SCALE Academy / Zvezda 13506 KV- 2 Tank

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've got a 1944 report from the British Army in which they are discussing the engine in detail .
I've tried to up load a file but says it doesn't have the allowed extension :cold-sweat:
Will copy and paste the link from later using the pc. A great site with numerous tank instruction manuels.
That sounds interesting — please do post the link :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good evening.
As promised I few photos of the build. Haven't found it easy this time around, the first one in 2016

2019_17b.jpg
I remember this well only my 4 th build and it was a perfect fit this one has unfortunately been a struggle with the warping, still its nearly built and will be ok when sunk into the river.
2019_3.jpg
You can see the bend marks in the track guards, after lining up the top with the hull there was a massive gap at the front.
2019_2.jpg
Held down with some strong making tape it eventually stuck.
Spent some time doing the fuel pipes on the engine, enjoy this part even as its so fiddly for me, but the result ids well worth it as the hatch will be open.

2019.jpg
Couldn't face using the PE on those screens, would have defeated me, more for the likes of Paul , Mike and Simon , well in fact most of you :thinking:

Moving on I did the gun assembly, not all of it as it was too much , nothing seemed to want to fit, so where as the first one has a move able gun this one is fixed. :crying:

2019_6.jpg
2019_5.jpg
2019_4.jpg
The turret ring was well out of shape, I heated it up , and still managed to get it up side down ! Oh well just like me.

2019_7.jpg
These have been primed as tomorrow I want to do some apply some chipping fluid, then a coat of off white.

2019_16.jpg

Front hatch, will spray some black inside as have no seat !

Now some advice please, last time I used Fruils, no problem but this time as it is going to be in water up to the track guards I'm using the kit ones.
Having studied the drawings I'm lost, it appears to give a quantity but the actual drawing shows differing amounts. Just read it again at this size and it makes some sense !!!!!

2019_11.jpg

2019_10.jpg

So ignore the last bit.
Comments welcome, thanks for looking in.
John.

Attachments

• 2019_8.jpg
    2019_8.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2019_14.jpg
    2019_14.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 3

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ah, Scribd — there is tons of stuff for pretty much any interesting on there, but good luck finding anything you’re after on it. So thanks for the link, it saves searching :smiling3:
Didn't fancy paying a monthly subscription though, seems alright if your using every day as a writer .

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Good evening.
As promised I few photos of the build. Haven't found it easy this time around, the first one in 2016

View attachment 368501
I remember this well only my 4 th build and it was a perfect fit this one has unfortunately been a struggle with the warping, still its nearly built and will be ok when sunk into the river.
View attachment 368504
You can see the bend marks in the track guards, after lining up the top with the hull there was a massive gap at the front.
View attachment 368505
Held down with some strong making tape it eventually stuck.
Spent some time doing the fuel pipes on the engine, enjoy this part even as its so fiddly for me, but the result ids well worth it as the hatch will be open.

View attachment 368506
Couldn't face using the PE on those screens, would have defeated me, more for the likes of Paul , Mike and Simon , well in fact most of you :thinking:

Moving on I did the gun assembly, not all of it as it was too much , nothing seemed to want to fit, so where as the first one has a move able gun this one is fixed. :crying:

View attachment 368509
View attachment 368508
View attachment 368507
The turret ring was well out of shape, I heated it up , and still managed to get it up side down ! Oh well just like me.

View attachment 368510
These have been primed as tomorrow I want to do some apply some chipping fluid, then a coat of off white.

View attachment 368512

Front hatch, will spray some black inside as have no seat !

Now some advice please, last time I used Fruils, no problem but this time as it is going to be in water up to the track guards I'm using the kit ones.
Having studied the drawings I'm lost, it appears to give a quantity but the actual drawing shows differing amounts. Just read it again at this size and it makes some sense !!!!!

View attachment 368514

View attachment 368515

So ignore the last bit.
Comments welcome, thanks for looking in.
John.
If the wheels/drive sprocket are attached - cut two lengths of masking tape or better insulation tape to fit each side of the gaps in the wheels etc. Wrap this lengthwise around the suspension do the inside strip first. Then on the bench build up a length of straight track once fairly dry add it on top of the tape - the tape will support the track and stop the track sticking to the wheels. Have roughly gone over your instructions to hopefully illustrate what I mean. The amount of track links used will not matter as you will be able to just build untill complete and then remove gently for painting.
Mike
track.jpg
Hope this helps...

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Mike - they are link and length, not all individual links, so as a starting point they will need to be assembled as per instructions

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If the wheels/drive sprocket are attached - cut two lengths of masking tape or better insulation tape to fit each side of the gaps in the wheels etc. Wrap this lengthwise around the suspension do the inside strip first. Then on the bench build up a length of straight track once fairly dry add it on top of the tape - the tape will support the track and stop the track sticking to the wheels. Have roughly gone over your instructions to hopefully illustrate what I mean. The amount of track links used will not matter as you will be able to just build untill complete and then remove gently for painting.
Mike
View attachment 368545

Hope this helps...
Hi Mike, get the idea, and thank you !:smiling2::upside:, you've not seem me with a roll of masking tape have you, it's quite frightening.
Office and Art 066-0159.gif :smiling2::smiling::smiling::smiling3:

coming along nicely Mr R :thumb2: :smiling4:
Thanks Si.

Thanks Simon,if it wasn't going to be in water I'd have gone for Fruils.
Thanks guys appreciate the comments and help, the latter which I certainly need:smiling3:

D

Deleted member 6559

Great work John. I find I can just about cope with link and length tracks myself, though I'd go for rubber bands any time.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work John. I find I can just about cope with link and length tracks myself, though I'd go for rubber bands any time.
Morning Peter, think my downfall is tracks, actually when I see them in the box they appear to be looking at me to say ". Come on then ".
Your right with the rubber band type, suit me better, still the only ones I really enjoy are making up Fruils.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Didn't fancy paying a monthly subscription though, seems alright if your using every day as a writer .
I’ve never felt the need for a subscription either, but luckily there are fairly simple ways to grab all the pages even of those documents Scribd blanks out :smiling3:

• Haha

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mike - they are link and length, not all individual links, so as a starting point they will need to be assembled as per instructions
Hi Simon,
If the geriatric had said that in the first place, then we would be further forward with his build :smiling4:, I'll phone the home, you get his coat....
Now with your explanation I see the slight problem.
Cheers,
Mike

• Love

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Morning Peter, think my downfall is tracks, actually when I see them in the box they appear to be looking at me to say ". Come on then ".
Your right with the rubber band type, suit me better, still the only ones I really enjoy are making up Fruils.
Go on, live dangerously....

• Haha

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Well this is fighting you all the way but you'll get there. Swearing and dribbling but you'll get there :thumb2: As for tracks - they are without doubt very difficult to deal with.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I’ve never felt the need for a subscription either, but luckily there are fairly simple ways to grab all the pages even of those documents Scribd blanks out :smiling3:
Pray tell me !

Hi Simon,
If the geriatric had said that in the first place, then we would be further forward with his build :smiling4:, I'll phone the home, you get his coat....
Now with your explanation I see the slight problem.
Cheers,
Mike
I shall ignore that remark, :tongue-out3::tongue-out3::smiling::smiling: :upside:.

Go on, live dangerously....
I do, I live here ! :smiling3:

Hi John
Well this is fighting you all the way but you'll get there. Swearing and dribbling but you'll get there :thumb2: As for tracks - they are without doubt very difficult to deal with.
Jim
Hi Jim so nice of you to bring some kind comments, how did you know I dribble !!!!!! :smiling3:.

Well that was fun, and more fun has been had at the bench.
Tracks, yes those things that some of you have mastered.
Following some mixed information from my dear friend I set too and managed this.

2019_12.jpg
2019_9.jpg
2019_15.jpg
Don't bother about that great glue dollop, I'm not. (Until I find the track has stuck to the wheel ):smiling3:

Before this mind blowing revelation about my track assembly I set to and started on the base.
Taking a section of insulation I cut away the front part , this is where the water will be. Of course the whole base will have to be sealed several times and edges made for the sides and front to hold the water in.
Once again I'm going to use Precision Ice and Snows 2 part water. Simple , no smell as with a 2 part resin. Just mix and pour.

2019_5.jpg

2019b.jpg

2019_6.jpg

2019_7.jpg2019_7.jpg
Once glued to the base It was weighted down .

2019_8.jpg

That should hold it, the problem with using insulation foam is that once you remove the outer skin it starts to cup, so a few cuts across the back to relieve the stress and glue it down applying weights.

Thanks for looking in, comments always welcome and the more banter the better.:smiling2:

John.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Pray tell me !

I shall ignore that remark, :tongue-out3::tongue-out3::smiling::smiling: :upside:.

Hi Jim so nice of you to bring some kind comments, how did you know I dribble !!!!!! :smiling3:.

Following some mixed information from my dear friend I set too and managed this.

View attachment 368608
View attachment 368609
View attachment 368610
Don't bother about that great glue dollop, I'm not. (Until I find the track has stuck to the wheel ):smiling3:

Before this mind blowing revelation about my track assembly I set to and started on the base.
Taking a section of insulation I cut away the front part , this is where the water will be. Of course the whole base will have to be sealed several times and edges made for the sides and front to hold the water in.
Once again I'm going to use Precision Ice and Snows 2 part water. Simple , no smell as with a 2 part resin. Just mix and pour.

View attachment 368611

View attachment 368612

View attachment 368613

View attachment 368614View attachment 368614

View attachment 368615

That should hold it, the problem with using insulation foam is that once you remove the outer skin it starts to cup, so a few cuts across the back to relieve the stress and glue it down applying weights.

Thanks for looking in, comments always welcome and the more banter the better.:smiling2:

John.
Pray tell me !

View attachment 368608
View attachment 368609
View attachment 368610

View attachment 368611

View attachment 368612

View attachment 368613

View attachment 368615

John.
Pray tell me !

View attachment 368608
View attachment 368609
View attachment 368610

View attachment 368611

View attachment 368612

View attachment 368613

View attachment 368615

John.
Yep, you are getting it, but stop dribbling on the tracks and calling it glue. Have you got enough weight on there, I could send a couple of SWMBO's home made loaves, they are for her weight loss diet - you make the loaves but cannot eat them...
Mike.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Here again, actually starting to think I should give up !
Yes this is turning into a boring farce, yesterday I did a really neat job on the inside sections of the turret, painted as you will see later a shade of off white for the wall, floor , roof gun breech was done black. I'd sprayed the brown primer with a coat of chipping fluid first, once dry did the white . Was going to paint the machined parts steel .
Decided to attempt to glue the turret sides together, a complete load of :poop: would the roof fit, no ! Ok at the back but out a the front leading edge. This in turn threw the front out and left a large gap at the top. Having wrapped the whole thing up in tape to try to hold it while the glue dried, I then found that I'd hadn't prepared the back section to take the metal barrel. At this point I hacked the front of the plastic part of the gun off, yes you guessed it, the complete breach and gun snapped off the internal mounting. So now no breech to be seen from the open door, the front with the metal barrel is on. Squadron green filler to most of the edges of the turret. Oh just to compound things one section of curved track has come apart ! Just not my day.

As to the base, that weight certainly did the trick with the foam to the base. But my mix of pva and drywall adhesive as thin as it was has cracked. So tomorrow a trip to a well known trade shop to get some adhesive / sealant for foam. Removing the drywall and sealing with some hybrid sealant .

I've ordered another KV -2 this time the recommended one by PMMS a Trumpeter. Apparently the Zevzda/ Academy is incorrect on many levels according to the 4 BO site. So if the first one doesn't look the part !