1/35 Workshop diorama / display base

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andy, had a good read through on this and more than a few laughs.......and I must say this is a great piece of work! The shop posters you found will do very nicely and I see Fritz has got hold of himself :tongue-out3:
so all's right with the world. I did notice that the under sink plumbing was absent, might be a nice detail to add at some point. Cheers, Rick H.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
is this going to be military of civvie based?.....only asking cos i know someone who started something similar about two years ago and still hasnt finished! lol.............his plan was a village garage in the early 50s ........started to snowball once he realised theres so many suitable civvie figures out there, and people making stuff like lathes and piller drills etc

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Rick, I'm having fun learning, so while it may never be a masterpiece it should hopefully be a good foundation for future projects.

As for the plumbing, I'm having to rein myself in a bit. I have a list of things in my head that I could add, but with my low attention span, if I start them all I'm pretty sure I'll run out of steam before the whole thing is finished. Would rather do a quick sweep as it were of the main things, then, as you say, add extras at a later date if I'm still interested.

Some of the things I have in mind:
plumbing
better tap/faucet
"paper" holder
loo brush
cleaning products
mop & bucket
waste bin
towel & holder
soap / hand cleaner dispenser
wedge to hold door open
drag marks on floor where sagged door has caught it
cobwebs
stained tiles/grout
magazine / newspaper
light fitting
hidden 10mm socket/spanner (motor trade joke)

And that's without really thinking about it lol. If I multiply that by the whole building and exterior, I'd be at this for years, which I know I don't have the staying power for. I'm already itching to get on with the next project! :smiling5:

Paul - I'm trying to make it a bit neutral if I can, so that I could display either military vehicles & figures in there, or civvy ones at a similar scale. I'm already wishing I'd made it bigger, but have another board the same size that I could use in the future to extend it in a modular fashion, whilst keeping storage size down.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
There's enough on your list Andy to keep you away from buying kits for the next year at this rate.;)

Really nice to this coming together so well, :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Haha, indeed John, that's why I'm trying to limit myself to the basics for now.

I guess it'll be something I could keep coming back to and adding bits like that in the future, but then I said that about the post apocalypse one, and I haven't even started the base for bendy bus yet :smiling5:

So much to do, so little time...

D

Deleted member 7181

Today's main job was making the back door. Nice and sturdy to stop the undesirables breaking in. It needs a bit of chipping/wear/rusting etc once the main colour and drybrushing have cured a bit.

U2soiLF.jpg HR1YQWv.jpg

In between that some more accessories from the kit were put together. Right on my limits so maybe not the cleanest work, but once they're painted and aged a bit they should be fine.

I'm still not great with PE but where it goes to plastic I've started using TET, which gives me time to adjust and seems to stick okay. I did the etch additions on my SdKfz 247 kit that way and they survived painting and weathering well enough. With some of the parts on these items I've wicked additional extra thin CA in after the TET had dried, for a bit of extra bite. As I say, maybe not the cleanest way but at least it makes it manageable for me :smiling3:

A few of the fragile kit parts broke during removal or clean up, so I've replaced them with bits of rod & tube

h7jbYrA.jpg

Wc6elVJ.jpg

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Stop selling your self short Andy, nothing wrong with any of it, far from it in fact.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy I remember when you said you found it hard to imagine something for a diorama, well just shows you looked at your time spent in the trade and came up with this great idea.
These types of dioramas are always interesting , always some little thing to catch the attention of the viewer. Keep it going please.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers John.

And yes, you're bang on. Although this is probably technically harder than anything I've done before, the ideas are coming thick & fast for a change so I'm loving it :cool:

• Love
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Cheers John.

And yes, you're bang on. Although this is probably technically harder than anything I've done before, the ideas are coming thick & fast for a change so I'm loving it :cool:
Yup, nothing better than life's experiences for dio ideas Andy. These little details will resonate with anyone who has experienced such a scene.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cracking stuff mate. Colours on the tools are spot on.

Reactions: JR