1 350 HMS Daring, float or sink lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Cheers Andrew
Totally new direction for me with lots to think about and thats dangerous lol
Yea Bob you have to put your brain in gear lol but i think you will enjoy this ship bussiness as later if you get fed up makin battle ships you could make a cargo ship up carryin loads of stugs on the decks lol
ole boaty mate chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yea Bob you have to put your brain in gear lol but i think you will enjoy this ship bussiness as later if you get fed up makin battle ships you could make a cargo ship up carryin loads of stugs on the decks lol
ole boaty mate chris
The good ship SS StuG ! You could angle the StuGs so its like a pre dreadnought, barells sticking out everywhere lol

Working on Daring is showing me the many differances between making a StuG and a ship, also making me build differently, especially painting!

I have sat back and found a few areas where my model making needs to improve, so hopefully these changes will work out

Enjoying it so far, hoping it comes out ok so i can start on KGV then Bismarck with more confidence:thinking:

Will cut out part of the side of my work station to enlarge my dry dock to take KGV lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The good ship SS StuG ! You could angle the StuGs so its like a pre dreadnought, barells sticking out everywhere lol

Working on Daring is showing me the many differances between making a StuG and a ship, also making me build differently, especially painting!

I have sat back and found a few areas where my model making needs to improve, so hopefully these changes will work out

Enjoying it so far, hoping it comes out ok so i can start on KGV then Bismarck with more confidence:thinking:

Will cut out part of the side of my work station to enlarge my dry dock to take KGV lol
Bob i keep tellin you you are a good moddeler an you dont need more confidence as its all learning as you go same as me ive been building big ships for 30 odd yrs but im still learning on tiger an im just confidence that things will work out but nothing is 100 per cent gaurenteed so dont start thinking i cant do this or it will beat you AGAIN SAY AFTER ME IM A GOOD MODDELER AN AGAIN AN AGAIN because you ARE
CHRIS

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob i keep tellin you you are a good moddeler an you dont need more confidence as its all learning as you go same as me ive been building big ships for 30 odd yrs but im still learning on tiger an im just confidence that things will work out but nothing is 100 per cent gaurenteed so dont start thinking i cant do this or it will beat you AGAIN SAY AFTER ME IM A GOOD MODDELER AN AGAIN AN AGAIN because you ARE
CHRIS
Kind you of again Chris, will have a right old go lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
A update;)

Deck fitted, sorted some small gaps, about 75% through the PE, thankfully flat pieces but have to sort out bending into a circle on 2 bits soon.

You PE fiends look away, now;)

20210618_121020.jpg
20210618_121123.jpg
20210618_121157.jpg
Thought i would try PVA for first time and happy chap so far, did a test first using scrap PE bits bent at right angles using some standard wilko PVA and also some PVA canopy glue by Deluxe materials, left overnight and the cheaper bit pulled off with no effort, the deluxe bit very hard to remove, so Deluxe won!

The superstructures are loose!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Bob a very nice build boyo an i must admit ive never liked the type 45 but you an your model have changed my veiw of this ship as you have built it so well Im really beggining to like it an the P/E looks great just like my tiger loads of W/T doors an such very nice build so far OH MY GOD IM RAMBLEING ON LOL :rolling::tongue-out3:;):nerd::smiling3:
Chris :thumb2:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well Bob a very nice build boyo an i must admit ive never liked the type 45 but you an your model have changed my veiw of this ship as you have built it so well Im really beggining to like it an the P/E looks great just like my tiger loads of W/T doors an such very nice build so far OH MY GOD IM RAMBLEING ON LOL :rolling::tongue-out3:;):nerd::smiling3:
Chris :thumb2:
Thanks Chris. Getting there.

Cannot beat a good old ramble lol

I was wondering about all those doors, bet it took time for new crew to know what door goes where lol

With painting soon, going to have to work out a plan??

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I was wondering about all those doors, bet it took time for new crew to know what door goes where lol
(Bob qoute)
WELL Bob you are proberly right on that about new crew members knowing where to go but each doors have a code letter on them telling where it goes or room so i was told as on my norfolk i even fitted on the doors some letters an the reason so many doors is for easy escape an if a fire in a room it can be much easyier to keep contained so i was told by a chap in portsmouth navy yard
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just finished the 'Illustrated History of the Sturmgeschutz Abteilung 202' by Norbert Szamveber and couldn't wait to recommend it to you. Some good pics & color plates too.
Very kind of you to think of me!! But its already in my small book collection, will have to put it on my to read list.

Keep up the good work!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good Bob. Much bigger than I imagined. Using a PVA glue for pe works well. Something like your Deluxe Materials or Gator Glue. If in doubt about the strength of the fixing just wick some thin CA into the join once the PVA is dry.
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looking good Bob. Much bigger than I imagined. Using a PVA glue for pe works well. Something like your Deluxe Materials or Gator Glue. If in doubt about the strength of the fixing just wick some thin CA into the join once the PVA is dry.
Jim
Thanks Jim, appreciated

Bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Right started painting the hull

Forgive first bash lol, painted hull in Tamiya as per plans, not sure if reddish brown is correct??

Have sprayed slightly above where the boot topping is going, will now spray the hull grey until it meets the red, then do the boot topping where they join!

Anybody agree or not, before i put my foot in it lol
20210630_151224.jpg
20210630_151226.jpg
20210630_151249.jpg20210630_151249.jpg
Do not have a clue if its the right or wrong way or if it will look good or bad lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Right started painting the hull

Forgive first bash lol, painted hull in Tamiya as per plans, not sure if reddish brown is correct??

Have sprayed slightly above where the boot topping is going, will now spray the hull grey until it meets the red, then do the boot topping where they join!

Anybody agree or not, before i put my foot in it lol
View attachment 427722
View attachment 427723
View attachment 427724View attachment 427724
Do not have a clue if its the right or wrong way or if it will look good or bad lol
Aaaaaaaaarrrhhhhhhhh Bob yes the red looks ok as its the colour of red car primer red lead but Bob you should have masked up the red with tamyia maskin tape now youve sprayed the grey so in my opinion do so now an mask up the grey full height an respray your red lead an then do the black boot line but you are getting there boyo
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Chris

Not sprayed the light sea grey yet, the grey you see is primer?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bob it should look like this in my two pics red an grey first but you must mask up each colour or you will over spray like you have then black boot toppin an again the red an the grey must be masked up before black boot toppin is sprayed on
but as you have over sprayed the grey just mask up the grey an resprey the red lead just have deko at the pics boyo
chris P1020541.JPG