SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
........we are all waiting to see where this goes :thumb2:
chris

Guess what Chris? So am I, 'cos I haven't any real ideas either! :upside:

Update....
I've done the prom. on the left hand side.

Same method as t'other side, but I used the base of a paint tin to mark the big circle. The oval shapes I marked out freehand.

Probably totally over the top, but I just couldn't stop getting ideas coming into my nut for the pattern, so I gave up trying to and gave myself free rein to go daft.
P1290062.JPG

P1290056.JPG

P1290065.JPG

P1290066.JPG

P1290064.JPG

Just the lower bits below the steps to the river to do.
P1290061.JPG

P1290060.JPG

Work to the river bank and those little seating areas to do next.

Cheers all,
Ron

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Amazing how this is going......I was thinking like Jim that there seems to be an Italian influence in your construction here 570.........very interesting. :thinking: Rick H.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul, Rick and Pete. Thanks for your most excellent and humorous posts.

Pete. I like it - Far more appealing than my wife's suggestion of wood chip! I wonder if they do a waterproof version?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input boys.
Great to have you along, Greg.

One or two folks might be wondering why the different and probably unnecessary stonework?
When I was doing the research for this build, I read the history of the village of Fusilli.

When Emperor Hadrian visited Briton, he ordered a wall to be built in the north of the country and he wanted the best stone mason in Italy to be in charge of the construction. So he ordered a nationwide competition to find such a person.
At the same time, he was beginning construction of Fusilli, which he was going to use as a mountain retreat. He gave instructions that the two best masons from the competition were to come to Fusilli and have a head to head. The winner being given a powerful status in Rome and use his skills in Britain.

The names of the two finalists were Gino d' Chissli Stoni and his arch rival Alti Pyli Rokskwikli

Each stone mason was given one side of the village river and told "Build what you wish."

Stoni won hands down and became a national hero. But shortly after, it was discovered he was part of a betting syndicate organised by the members of the Rome Senate. He was sent to serve as a slave on the Roman galleys. To make matters worse, he was given the number 40 and had to spend the rest of his days sat next to number 41, Ben Hur (See Film of same name)

Rokskwikli? He was given first place by default. At first he refused, claiming if he was not good enough first time, he wasn't going to accept. He was threatened with galley number 39. He quickly changed his mind
When Britain was subdued, he was put in charge of building Hadrian's Wall. He only stayed there December and January AD 122. One day, after sniffing the northern ice and snow, he was heard to mutter "Stuffi thisi" and did a runner! He was rumoured to have fled to the quiet village of Magaluf on the Island of Majorca. "The Brits will never come here, recognize me and inform Rome."

Interesting history. I'm so glad I read up on it.

Senator Biggus Diccus.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting tale Big D. A little known fact is that Rokskwikli also coined one of Hollywood’s most enduring “Bon mots”. As he turned away from Fusilli at the end of the competition he was heard to mutter “Pasta la vista, baby”....
Scribe Naughteus Maximus.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 after much deliberation the awards panel here at Race Towers ( Socially distanced ) are please to announce that you have been awarded the Dogs.
This is a new award for the most promising tall storey and superb modelling build.

2020DB.jpg

453 President of the awards committee.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks 'Maximus'

Dear POTAC.
Thank you most sincerely for honouring me with this most sort after award. I can't wait to surprise the present Mr. Ron, when I dangle my 'The Dogs' in her face!

Also, please pass on my thanks to the Committee.

P.S. I've lost the bank details of one of the members, Ivor Bungin Abbit. Can you ask him to forward his details please?

Thank you, Pres. 453.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Update.....
I promise there will be no more faffing about with stone work.

Here, is the last bit of that particular jigsaw. The areas by the river's edge. A different texture than the vertical stuff by using fine sandpaper.
P1290067.JPG

P1290068.JPG

P1290069.JPG

Pietra Finita....
P1290071.JPG

Next, I'll add bits an' bobs to the river, particularly the area below and on the dam/weir wall. Then add some more colour.

Cheers.
Ron