Airfix 1/600 BISMARK

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tim. Give me the easy life anytime. :upside:

Anyway friends, remember the old saying 'Pride cometh before the fall'? This morning I was sort of congratulating myself on brushing the black line straight enough for me anyway, when I took a belated look at the painting instructions........
The black boot topping doesn't run the full length of the thing, but terminates quite a way short of either end.

So I've had to set to with the scalpel blade and removed the black paint. Also, I had to scrape away the feint moulded boot topping top line.

P1290241.JPG

P1290239.JPG

P1290240.JPG

"Please pay more attention in future!"
'Monty' Eldred (my former teacher)

First Name
Tony
It's good to watch these old historic ship kits (which used to come off the shelves at Woolies), being put together. In the thread about who inspired you, I noticed you mentioned your dad, this brought back memories of my dad helping get me interested in the hobby with the, Airfix's 1:600 HMS Hood.

Following with Interest, Tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tony.
Great blessings, memories of our dads!

On with my balls up.......
Rather than risk damaging the plastic with yet more scrapings, I've gone for paint coverage of the black.

Here's the first overcoat of grey. I was surprised just how well it covered the black. One more go with the brush and it should be o.k.
P1290246.JPG

Cheers,
Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just been catching up here.
Nice to see another war canoe on the bench and a Ron water base as well!
Those sprues are just plain nasty! On the bright side just cut all the barrels off and replace them with Hypo-needels (I'm sure matron can help you with that) then you will not need to drill them out.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Bob and Ian.
Bob. Yes, it is. I don't know as yet whether I'll go the whole hog with the B/W stripes or just do the hull bit. We'll see.

Ian. That link you posted is great. Thank you for taking the time to do it. Normally I don't do any research on my models, I just follow the box instructions. But thanks to your link, I was able to get the hull summat like - Good enough for me, that is. ;)

A quick note to brush 'ands regarding freehand line painting....

Dark colour over light if possible. It's easier to cover and less coats of paint needed.
Initially, use a flat headed brush.
Try and work so you only have to concentrate on one line at a time. See earlier in this thread.
Load the brush with paint and working close to the line, draw the brush along.
Try and spread the paint in one go. Don't paint in a stop-go motion. You will never get a straight line.
Then, whilst the paint is still wet, use a pointed brush and neaten the work up to the line.
If you are brave and confident enough, you could of course, work up to the line straight away!
Check for runs then leave it alone!

......and no masking tape to bleed paint under and no need to close your eyes and pray when peeling off the stuff. :cold-sweat:

Anyway, rather than bore you good folks with some remedial shots of the hull painting, here is the result.

After all my scraping, there was a fore and aft boot topping, albeit a thin one!

P1290281.JPG

As she'll be waterline, I won't be fixing the props etc.
P1290282.JPG

P1290283.JPG

As you can see, I've started the superstructure - File, swear, scrape and fit. File, swear..........

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your continued support, Jim and Bob.

Me thinks ( no, I know) looking at the fiddly things, I'm going to need all I can get!

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Ron as Bob said an from me its mighty fine work man just as well you dont give up easy as you are like my ole mate Bob an he stuck at it as well what splendid moddelers you both are an its a :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: up from me
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your input Ian and Chris. :thumb2:

Despite the extremely poor quality of this kit, I'm still managing to muster enough enthusiasm and will power to carry on. - Just!

I've completed the superstructure and weathered the main deck. I've left off all the weaponry/boats/ the aircraft, masts and any bits I might knock off until I'm happy with the bulk of the painting.
P1290291.JPG

P1290285.JPG

P1290286.JPG

With a life time behind me of working with them, I know trees have the annoying habit of producing 'Millions' of different shades of timber, so I've tried to reproduce this on the deck of my Bismark. - And a bit of staining/weathering.
It's the camera, not me, that's made these two shots look a totally different shade on the deck planking.
P1290287.JPG

This is the shade.
P1290290.JPG

P1290289.JPG

Cheers,

Flottenchef Admiral Gunther Lutjens

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Dear mr Lutjens, sorry admiral sir!

A certain Adolf loves the look of the deck, he now wants his panzers to look the same!!
SO Bob from now on all stugs will be painted in wood style LOL
chris

• Haha
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
It is a pain, but we is modellers ain't we?

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to swop the bit of sponge I've attached to my work bench. It's soaked in blood, as I've been using it to bang my head on!