Airfix 1/600 BISMARK

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Quietly getting on with this.
I have a nice new sponge 'Bump Pad' on the bench, so good to go.

I've fitted her boats and main armament.

I'm painting her as she was on arrival in Norwegian waters. Near enough anyway for me, as I don't want to loose sleep worrying over total accuracy. ;)

Here she is with the stripes still on her hull, but the superstructure stripes have been painted over. The hull stripes were obliterated and also her main deck boats and cutters were removed prior to her attempted break out into the N. Atlantic along with Prinz Eugen.

Brush painted with Vallejo Model Air acrylics.
P1290306.JPG

P1290301.JPG

P1290305.JPG

P1290302.JPG

Cheers,

Werner Hager, Matrosenobergefreiter. (Bismark)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
What a pain in the butt this ship has been to build.
Airfix should be ashamed they still produce these disgusting excuses for kits. Especially as the kits could more than likely, be bought by a first timer, be it by a dad for his son or just someone fancying getting back in the game. For a newcomer trying to fashion these horrors into an even half descent model would soon turn them off any thoughts of getting involved with the hobby.

Secondary weapons, masts, searchlights and various bits and bobs added. I'll hopefully straighten the masts with the rigging.

I've done the best I can so far, and am reasonably happy with this just passable excuse for Bismark.
Brush painted with Vallejo Air acrylics.
P1290324.JPG

P1290325.JPG

The camera lens has bent the red stripes.....
P1290323.JPG

P1290322.JPG

Next, I will add the two swasty tickers decals ( Just crosses, you have to add the 'Bends' freehand) and then do the rigging. The latter I'd half decided that I couldn't be bothered doing, but as I've come this far along an extremely rocky road, I ain't going to let this lousy s.o.a.b. beat me when I can see the pub door, which would in normal circumstances, be open and the lights beckoning......

Cheers,
Ron

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
RON exscuse me but i cant see what you complaining about as its turned out very nice as a chap with your skill should walk this an its modeling
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 Following a meeting this evening of the award committee at Race Towers It gives me great pleasure to now present you with the coveted " DOGS " Award.

2020DB.jpg
453 Race
Awards committee table person.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice indeed Ron. Can almost see the blood, sweat and tears from here!
I agree that is a new comer had gotten hold of one of those they would probably take up another hobby. Still, we can see that this is far from your first attempt at beating a heap of deformed plastic into shape. Nice work and as usual very tidy paint.
Looking forward to seeing her hit the water.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the excellent and positive comment boys.
Good to read it's not only me who thinks these awful kits shouldn't still be in production. Airfix are doing themselves no favours in doing so......

453, thanks for another 'The Dogs' award. I'm well chuffed you think the build good enough.

Jim, after much chewing over re. the stripes (or lack of) on the superstructure. I've decided to continue them up from the hull. Although Bismark had the stripes just on the sides for a short time, she looks kind'a unfinished. Also, I would really prefer her with the complete set of stripes. Wish me luck!

Spurred on by Dave's most excellent 'Butchering' of his latest sub. build, I've decided to also bite the bullet and cut the hull down/up to the waterline. I had intended just to sink the hull into the seascape, but making Bismark 'Waterline' will make it much easier when I start on the water.

I used my excellent mini driller/cutter/grinder and loads of other 'er's thingy which I bought new from ebay for under a tenner a year ago, to rip down the hull. I wasn't going to waste my money on a more expensive one.

Here's the thing in action. I've kept the cut a couple of mm. below the boot topping.
P1290328.JPG

The diddy machine ripped through the plastic and just 5 minutes later. Job done!
P1290329.JPG

The melted plastic you see, I simply snapped easily and cleanly off along the cut line with my fingernails.
With the ship now sitting flat and secure should also help when I attempt some rigging.
P1290332.JPG

P1290335.JPG

Next, as mentioned, and before I change my mind, I'll tackle the superstructure's B/W stripes.

Cheers,
Lutgens D.O.G.S.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Next, as mentioned, and before I change my mind, I'll tackle the superstructure's B/W stripes.
It does look rather nice with the full stripes. If I ever do The Bismark mine will get them. Mind you have you seen its big sister, Tirpitz, in full war paint. I see that Trumpy has also just pushed a Scharnhorst out....Hmm I digress.
Looking good Ron. Surprised that you cut her bottom off though.