AlanG's 1/35 Tamiya Stug IV (StuG Group Build)

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Wow Alan your going at it like the mad Hadder looks pretty easy so far what a great start

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well i am a bit 'radio rental' Lee so that does help :tongue-out3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
On the top of the Stug appears to be a fire extinguisher. I gather that it would be painted red but my question is would it have been painted over in the camo colour afterwards? Seems strange having something painted up in camo to only have something in bright red standing out.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
On the top of the Stug appears to be a fire extinguisher. I gather that it would be painted red
See this thread:

Your best bet is the same colour as the rest of the vehicle. If you paint your model dark yellow with camouflage over that, chances are good that on the real vehicle, nobody would have bothered to remove the extinguisher (or any of the pioneer tools) before spraying the camouflage.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Anyone got a recommendation for the CHEAPEST decent oil paints (and colours) i can get from the UK via evilbay for weathering the Stug? Also need a recommendation on what thinner to use on said oils.

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Going to red oxide prime and then hairspray so i can do/try the chipping effect thingy-me-bob

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Right time to try another first for me. Rust pigments. Primed the exhaust in XF-1 Flat black (and the whole tank too) then added some Vallejo Flat Brown. Rubbed/dusted some CMK Dark & Light Rust pigments onto it and there you have it. Looks ok i think. Not bad for a first attempt. Just need to seal in with varnish then hairspray ready for the upper surfaces paint.

IMG_1691.JPGIMG_1692.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Don't worry Paul. This is just a temporary diversion. I'll be back to the P-38 GB soon and then onto a special wingy thing project. Whilst i do love certain tanks/Flak cannons, i am a wingy person at heart.