Andrew's 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito Mk XIII

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It’s just come to me Andrew. The decal isn’t Pepe Le Pew, it’s Flower out of Bambi……the give away is the black head. Totally baffling really……

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It’s just come to me Andrew. The decal isn’t Pepe Le Pew, it’s Flower out of Bambi……the give away is the black head. Totally baffling really……

Cannot remember the last time I saw Bambi, so well remembered!! But as you say, totally baffling....it's not like there's a not very good shot available to base a decal on, as someone else has already done!

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
HI all

So I had another go at the decals and I think it looking as good as I can get it, given the problems I encountered at the start. This has had another protective gloss coat ahead of the next stage but that will have to wait until after Christmas as the finishing stage is a present, as I previously said.

Thanks for everyone that has joined the party so far and for the support!

ATB

Andrew

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Doing great so far Andrew. Tamiya decals are notorious for being rubbish. Which is a mystery considering the cost and standard of their kits for the most part.

Looking forward to seeing what your pressies are as well ;) lol

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Doing great so far Andrew. Tamiya decals are notorious for being rubbish. Which is a mystery considering the cost and standard of their kits for the most part.

Looking forward to seeing what your pressies are as well ;) lol
Thanks Al. It is a mystery why their kits are generally so got but their decals are %!^"$^!&^^^%"!"%!".

ATB

Andrew

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andrew looking good. I was going build this exact one with Lonesome Polecat decals in 1/48 scale for the GB. Who know I may try to give it a go. Looking forward to the updates after Santa is gone lol.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I doubt if it's any consolation Andrew, but I had the same trouble with the "No Step" decals on my Revell Mossie. After about the 10th time of pricking the bubbles and drenching it in Microsal I gave up.
Pete

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew looking good. I was going build this exact one with Lonesome Polecat decals in 1/48 scale for the GB. Who know I may try to give it a go. Looking forward to the updates after Santa is gone lol.
Lee

Sincerest of apologies. Completely forgot to reply. Interesting to hear that we we've been looking at the same plane. A word of warning though re the skunk decal. The only one I've found in 1/48 is from the same manufacturer and so is again wrong.

The Santa update will be the finishing touch other than assembly!!

I doubt if it's any consolation Andrew, but I had the same trouble with the "No Step" decals on my Revell Mossie. After about the 10th time of pricking the bubbles and drenching it in Microsal I gave up.
Pete

Pete

Not really! ;) it's such a shame that their decals are so poor, compared to the kits, especially on such a prominent part of the plane.

Apologies again for the very late response.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

And so with three days to spare Lonesome Polecat is finished.....JUST.....the glue is still drying!

It's unlikely I will have the time to get the full set of pics up before the end of the year and so wanted to get this up to be prove it was done in time.

ATB.

Andrew

IMG20221228182205.jpg

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Yes a Big Congratulations on time think I finished a GB one in my life it’s a very impressive bird you have the Camo looks great. Please don’t forget to post your other pics we’ll be here waiting.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice one. Looking forward to the final shots Andrew.
That looks mighty fine mate.
Excellent :smiling3:
Looks very nice Andrew, congratulations finishing it in time :thumb2:

Geoff.
Yes a Big Congratulations on time think I finished a GB one in my life it’s a very impressive bird you have the Camo looks great. Please don’t forget to post your other pics we’ll be here waiting.

Good morning gents!

So having been away for the new year - not without a major drama on the way home when a nasty pothole blew both nearside tyres - a very belated thanks for your support.

I've got an extra days leave whilst everyone else has returned to work and I'm going to wait until the light improve a bit before taking the final pictures but I've got one more post on the WIP side so watch this space!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Me again!

So just the final thoughts on the build and finish before I post the final pics.

My first Tamiya wingy thing and I loved the fit, with no major complaints and most were my fault. Good thing too, as I have three other Tamiya Mossies in the stash!! :smiling5: Putting in the undercarriage was a challenge though as I couldn't see where the front half went in due to the angles, so had to do it by feel.

Tamiya decals are poor to put it politely. AM decals were VERY nice and thin by contrast but as you know they messed up with the skunk picture - really badly - and so it has taken the shine off it a bit.

Flory Washes to do the highlights.......soooooooooooooooooooo easy to use. Slap on, let it dry and wipe off to your taste. I WILL be using them again. Example from the underside below.

Tim - you suggested an SBS on these when I got them for Christmas. I have an idea on that front so keep your eyes peeled.

Finally, I was to say a genuine heartfelt thanks to every person that has stopped by to comment or react in some way.

I am not one of those people isn't happy unless they have lots of likes and comments and this has never struck as one of those sorts of sites. Nevertheless, I am conscious that this is my longest and most in-depth build and that a large number of you had supported me.

Sad as I am, I was curious as to how many of you had joined the ride and was staggered to discover it was over 20 of you!!:astonished::astonished:

By way of a thank you from me to you for your support, the full roll call is below (I'll apologise now if I have missed anyone off!!)

Completed pics to follow soon.

ATB

Andrew

-----------------------------------------------------------

Underside shot (it's more obvious than the topside) showing the effect Flory Washes can create - so simple and yet so effective. Tim - watch out for the SBS of sorts

Thanks to the following for your support (and apologies if I have missed you off):

AlanG
Allen Dewire
Andy the Sheep
boatman
colin m
Fernando N
Geoffers
Ian M
Jack L
JayCee
Jim R
John Race
Lee Drennen
Mark1
Mickc1440
Mini Me
Neil Merryweather
papa 695
scottie3158
spanner570
stillp
The Smythe Meister
Tim Marlow
Valeron
yak face

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a result to be proud of Andrew. I've not tried those Flory Washed but you've certainly made them work for you.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's a result to be proud of Andrew. I've not tried those Flory Washed but you've certainly made them work for you.
Totally agree with that :smiling3:
An excellent result Andrew,as for the Flory washes.... seeing that has certainly made my mind up to get one to use in the future ;)

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
AlanG
Allen Dewire
Andy the Sheep
boatman
colin m
Fernando N
Geoffers
Ian M
Jack L
JayCee
Jim R
John Race
Lee Drennen
Mark1
Mickc1440
Mini Me
Neil Merryweather
papa 695
scottie3158
spanner570
stillp
The Smythe Meister
Tim Marlow
Valeron
yak face
Looks like the gangs all here Andrew. Great finish you put a lot of hard work into this and it paid off. Sorry to here about your tire incident but I’m glad you got a extra day off. Congratulations.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That looks the nuts those washes certainly seem to work. Does anyone use them for Armour?