Andrew's 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito Mk XIII

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Put it on quite thin Andrew. It doesn’t flow so much then. Shouldn’t be much of an issue on a 1/72 bird anyway……not so much to cover.

Interesting to know but sort of logical if you think about it....less of it to move around. And as you at 1/72 not too much to cover at this scale.....although a big four engined bomber might be a different matter! :smiling5:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I have been plodding on very slowly with this build.

The spinners and props are assembled and are a great fit - classic Tamiya (albeit the masking for the yellow tips was a bit out!). You can see from the photos that LPs spinners are lighter than Medium Sea Grey and so I did 50/50 of Medium and Ocean Sea Grey. LP also clearly has some dark tips on the spinners, which the build I have been following says were red, so I've followed that.

The undercarriage is nearly ready to assemble, I dust need to finish off the nacelle oil tanks.

Thanks again to @Jim R and @Tim Marlow for their thoughts on Vallejo's Metal Colour Paints. It has the reputation of being a very good - possibly the best - water based metallic acrylic paint (lacquers are not an option for me). I have to say the first go I had (Dark Aluminium to be precise) went VERY well. Sprayed beautifully through a 0.2mm needle, no dry drip, a surprisingly clean AB cup afterwards and great coverage. I have seen it sprayed in a variety of ways, in my case I went for the ratio I use Model Air 2:1 paint to thinner/flow aid. Will definitely be using it again!

ATB.

Andrew

These are very close up shots of the antenna for the air interception radar, as you can see it looks pretty good to my eye - even allowing for dreaded digital zoom, so you can imagine what they look like with a Mark I Eyeball! So Jim, Tim thanks again - although my credit card might have other thoughts on the topic!! :smiling5:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Andrew……must admit, I’ve only used them with a brush myself. Looking like I should find a silver bird to build and spray away though.
Word to the wise…..don’t bother with the gold and copper colours, everything the silver colours are the gold and copper colours are not.
For good copper, bronze, brass and gold shades explore Darkstar molten metals :thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Andrew……must admit, I’ve only used them with a brush myself. Looking like I should find a silver bird to build and spray away though.
Word to the wise…..don’t bother with the gold and copper colours, everything the silver colours are the gold and copper colours are not.
For good copper, bronze, brass and gold shades explore Darkstar molten metals :thumb2:
Thanks Tim. Duly noted!

I too have thought about doing a silver bird just to do some more 'testing' with it.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have a 'silver bird' on the SOD from a past GB. I really need to get it off there and finish it. I used Vallejo Metal Colors and found them to be fantastic to spray.

The Mossie is looking great btw :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word Andrew, that program you used looked a bit technical, but the results are proof of how good it is, and your ability to use it .
Those painted parts look really good , you must be pleased .

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I have a 'silver bird' on the SOD from a past GB. I really need to get it off there and finish it. I used Vallejo Metal Colors and found them to be fantastic to spray.

The Mossie is looking great btw :smiling3:
Thanks Alan, it does spray beautifully doesn't it, no dramas or fuss. Just a shame that Model Air took a lot longer to figure out. I'll reply to your PM shortly.

My word Andrew, that program you used looked a bit technical, but the results are proof of how good it is, and your ability to use it .
Those painted parts look really good , you must be pleased .

Thanks John, although I barely scratch the sides of what Visio can do. And yes, I am very pleased with how the MSG turned out!

Thanks both for stopping by.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning all

And so I managed to assemble the undercarriages last night once the paint on the oil tanks had dried.

As I was finishing on the first one, Junior with genuine enthusiasm said "Wow Dad they look great!!!, shortly followed by "If the rest of the plane is as good it will look fantastic!!!" Ego suitably boosted - albeit with a hint of pressure. :smiling3:

My wife walked past after I had finished the second one and I told her what Junior had said, to which she said, "What are they? Wheelbarrows?"...and so back to reality :smiling5:.....but in her defence at a quick glance they do look wheelbarrow like!

Actually really pleased with how they have turned out, although they do seem a bit flimsy but then the plane is not exactly heavy.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good andrew , glad you found the metal colors to your liking , i think theyre excellent , I dont thin them though , just straight out of the bottle ( if I did thin them my heavy handed spraying style would have it running off in rivers !) cheers tony

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yeah, nice wheelbarrows Andrew!

I need to try those Metal Colors now. (Shame about their spelling).
Pete

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good andrew , glad you found the metal colors to your liking , i think theyre excellent , I dont thin them though , just straight out of the bottle ( if I did thin them my heavy handed spraying style would have it running off in rivers !) cheers tony

Thanks Tony. It goes go on very well. I did wonder about thinning or not but as I ran it through a 0.2mm AB I thought it might be a good idea. I couldn't believe how well they cover too. I did the usual thin 1st pass and it had virtually covered the primer in one shot.

Yeah, nice wheelbarrows Andrew!

I need to try those Metal Colors now. (Shame about their spelling).
Pete

Thanks Pete. They're pretty advanced wheelbarrows if you ask me! ;):tongue-out2:

It is a shame about the spelling but I managed to get past it in the end!! ;) I will no doubt invest in one or two more colours as time progresses. I just hope it wasn't beginner's luck!:cold-sweat:

Definitely no pressure now the Mrs has brought you back down. Nice progress though

Thanks Mick. It's taken a lot longer to get to this point than I was expecting, what with work and home life....oh and a day at Telford!

Thanks again guys!

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice looking wheelbarrows Andrew……funny how some of the little bits take almost as long as the airframe isn’t it :thumb2:
As to the spelling, well Vallejo are Spanish, and that’s how the Spanish spell colour…..I bet they cringe when they hear us pronouncing Vallejo ;)

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice looking wheelbarrows Andrew……funny how some of the little bits take almost as long as the airframe isn’t it :thumb2:
As to the spelling, well Vallejo are Spanish, and that’s how the Spanish spell colour…..I bet they cringe when they hear us pronouncing Vallejo ;)
Thanks... Glad you like the wheelbarrows!! ;)

And you're right about how long it takes with fiddly bits....I think there are nine separate parts per 'leg'.....18 in total.... I'm sure that's more parts than the main fuselage, wings and nacelles put together!!!

Interestingly I see they actually started life in the US before quickly moving to Spain.

And as for pronunciation of words, I work for a German global multinational.....it is embarrassing how good everyone's English is regardless of where they're based..... And English is very much the Lingua Franca of the company.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Better and better Andrew. Paint job was worth all the time and effort. Undercarriage is very nicely done. A cracking build - nearly there.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Better and better Andrew. Paint job was worth all the time and effort. Undercarriage is very nicely done. A cracking build - nearly there.
Thanks Jim, it has turned out pretty well. Nearly there as you say!!

Hope to get this done before the deadline!!!:cold-sweat:

ATB.

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Best looking wheelbarrow's I've seen in a long time Andrew. Can't carry a damn thing but they look great!!! I love the Vallejo Metal Colors too. I never tried spraying them yet though, just doing hairy stick work. BTW, great work on the Mossie too!!!...

Prost
Allen

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Coming along very nicely Andrew :smiling3:

The undercarriage is looking good, I found that on my build it seemed a little frail but was more robust when in situ.
Fingers crossed you manage to get it all finished in time after all the work you’ve put into it.

Looking forward to seeing it all done, good luck :thumb2:

Geoff.