Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Look'in mighty fine. PaulE
Thanks Paul .

Ooh, John, rivets.....! :hungry: :flushed:
How many....?

4 Neil ! and take my word for it enough , I had some Master Club, from Russia ( where else ) , what fun you can have trying to see where they have gone, even when covered by a finger they disappeared only to reappear stuck to the said finger. Above the drivers armoured screens there were two more to be cut from block of five on two sprues. I managed to loose 6 , and tried to fix the 4 in place, 3 look ok the 4th looks like a mass of rust has appeared, :smiling::smiling: all good fun.

John.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spent some time today washing very carefully before the primer coat. This time i've used Vallejo green 4BO , With all these hatches open I don't see a camo pattern on the horizon, sorry Steve. :disappointed:

IMG_4988.jpg P1.jpg

Not on the chassis yet.

IMG_4989.jpg P2.jpg

Did the turret on its own, I can see that smg getting knocked off.

IMG_4990.JPG

Leaving overnight to fully dry, then will have a final think about that camo, don't want to let Steve down. At least a winter wash will hide any hard edges.

John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I wouldn't bother with the camo mate its looking just fine as it is. Wonderful work. Glad to see it's coming together so well

• Love
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Looks great under paint. I do like having the doors etc open - just means more work :tongue-out3: As for rivets - I seem to remember putting dozens on mine - when I lost them or glued them to the bench or my fingers I kept saying to myself "If Simon T can do it so can I". I'm very good at lying to myself!!!
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I wouldn't bother with the camo mate its looking just fine as it is. Wonderful work. Glad to see it's coming together so well
Thanks Steve, glad you approve, I still don't like rivets .:tongue-out3::upside:.

Hi John
Looks great under paint. I do like having the doors etc open - just means more work :tongue-out3: As for rivets - I seem to remember putting dozens on mine - when I lost them or glued them to the bench or my fingers I kept saying to myself "If Simon T can do it so can I". I'm very good at lying to myself!!!
Jim
Cheers Jim, think If i'm going to attempt all that interior then it might as well be seen. Ah there are some many things the Simon does that are well out of my comfort zone, he and the Spawn of Simon , ie Steve " Rivet " Jones are a rare breed indeed.:smiling2:

Smart work that man!

Thank you Peter. got to search for some suitable figures now.

Very nice work JR

Thanks Mick:thumb2:

John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Might have a chance this afternoon of getting some black on for shadows, plenty of nice curves to ponder, before I start on the top coats.
Noticed yesterday that my needle has slight tip damage, a sort of hook at the end. Suppose a gentle removal with a fine diamond file might do the trick, I shall wait until someone with more experience has some suggestions.

Nice wet day so what better place to be, off to the cave. Bye .

John.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi John,

Paint looks good from here, are you doing oils on this too?
Was just reading about slight tip damage, I take it you mean airbrush needle?
I’m probably asking for both barrels, but I personally wouldn’t take a file to it.

I had the same issue last week with my airbrush needle, so gently rollled it back and forth on a piece of stainless steel at a slight angle to get it back in shape. I’d imagine a sheet of glass etc would do the same as long as it’s flat and solid?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Noticed yesterday that my needle has slight tip damage, a sort of hook at the end. Suppose a gentle removal with a fine diamond file might do the trick,
John, I think even a fine diamond file will be too coarse. Do you have a very fine oilstone? If not some very fine wet-or-dry paper, say 2000 grit or finer, would probably do.
Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John,

Paint looks good from here, are you doing oils on this too?
Was just reading about slight tip damage, I take it you mean airbrush needle?
I’m probably asking for both barrels, but I personally wouldn’t take a file to it.

I had the same issue last week with my airbrush needle, so gently rollled it back and forth on a piece of stainless steel at a slight angle to get it back in shape. I’d imagine a sheet of glass etc would do the same as long as it’s flat and solid?
Hi Si. Yes ab needle, did the dreaded dropped it on the floor trick. So good in fact it actually stuck in the Sterling Board .
Will try that out with the glass . :thumb2: thanks .

Hi John
Loads of videos on mending damaged AB needles HE
Jim
Jim, thank you. More tips ,will have a look .:thumb2:

John, I think even a fine diamond file will be too coarse. Do you have a very fine oilstone? If not some very fine wet-or-dry paper, say 2000 grit or finer, would probably do.
Pete
Thanks Peter , I might have some fine wet and dry, though I doubt that fine . Oil stone went years ago .

Thanks guys, my own fault, washed the needle along with every thing else, then as I dried the needle just dropped it ! At least the floor was soft compared to concreate. If all fail will just buy another needle, even at the price they are :crying:.
Will let you know how I get on .
John .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Super progress so far JR. I'm with Steve, a few washes and a little weathering and it'll look just right. With the bonnet up, will there be some fat Rooskie in there tickling the wires to get her going again? lol Cheers, Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Super progress so far JR. I'm with Steve, a few washes and a little weathering and it'll look just right. With the bonnet up, will there be some fat Rooskie in there tickling the wires to get her going again? lol Cheers, Rick H.
Prize of the week Rick, spot on with your assumption. Sent off for various figure kits to give the mix that I want.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
Loads of videos on mending damaged AB needles HERE
Jim
Jim, just had a look at those videos thanks, going to try the one with the two pieces of wood.
John .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Always worth trying to repair the needle and it may work but without being too pessimistic I think you'll have to let the moths out of the wallet :rolling:
Jim

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice. I’ve done several washes on my subjects still new at it all was good till the other day I did my Autocar Half Track and the washes wouldn’t work had to repaint don’t have a clue what happened the wash turned it dark good luck

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Nice work on the bonnet, it would have been a shame to cover all that fine work on the motor. As to the cammo, I to would leave it as is with perhaps a winter wash.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Leaving overnight to fully dry, then will have a final think about that camo, don't want to let Steve down. At least a winter wash will hide any hard edges.

Hey Dude 2, There isn't really much to think about in reference to camo. Trust me, how can you let a guy down who lives in a Plymouth station wagon??? I'm sure he'll understand that a winter wash finish will look fantastic and you are very good at doing it buddy!!!...

Prost
Dude 1