Bird Watching a Relaxing Hobby

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
View attachment 472059
Not a great image, but a little egret fishing in our pond. About half the size of a heron. Little bugger had one goldfish before we chased him off. Not seen him since though so think he was migrating. Quite a bright lad…..fell in the deep bit, floundered his way out, then sat in the edge fishing rather than going in again.

This is what they look like to the uninitiated……
View attachment 472060
They were hunted to extinction in a lot of areas during the Victorian age just for those neck plumes (used as hat decorations). I can forgive him a couple of fish in exchange for that outrage.
Their making a comeback now.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Didn't know you had 'em wild....or is he an escaped "convict"?
Quite a lot in the wild here now….originally they were escapees or released birds that have since successfully bred and multiplied. There are loads in the London parks. Genetically they have been shown to have originated from India and Pakistan.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have a similar story......when I lived in the S.F. Bay Area we had a huge flock of Parrots that lived in the giant eucalyptus grove one block over from our house. Word was that a shipment of exotic birds got loose at the S.F. Int. Airport and made good on their escape. That was some years before we moved there so the species had not only survived but continued on in a family way. Never could get close enough to get a pic. but they sure were a "noisy" bunch!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The construction is still going on but by the time I shot this they were on their lunch break. They've started on hollowing the interior...
20230129_130205.jpg
I read that the spider hunter female does the nest building but this pair take turns...signs of the times I guess. They're quite colorful with yellow breasts and emerald green backs.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Got some shots of the construction workers busy at their work... the nest entrance is now having a hood. I guess it becomes a funnel entering from the bottom.
20230202_104033.jpg20230202_104035.jpg20230202_104038.jpg20230202_104039.jpg
The emerald doesn't show under the shadow though but they seem to be loosing their shine. Perhaps natures camo for survival.
Relaxing in between builds to watch these little guys with a cup of Malaysian tea. :smiling5:

Cheers,
Wabble

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fantastic stuff. What a great free show to have. As to colour, if it’s like the UK, bird colours are at their best in early spring when they are seeking a mate. Once they find one and start nest building and raising young their colours fade. By the end of the breeding season some birds can look extremely scruffy and tired. Just like people really ;)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
It's finished and she's moved in. I'm guessing she has laid her eggs as she didn't move or leave the nest when my daughter took this picture just now...
IMG-20230208-WA0042.jpg
Kind of an awkward spot for a nest...we duck everytime we leave the house fearing to disturb the nests low hanging ends.
Now there's less chatter. There was a point when another male came around to strut his stuff creating quite a commotion. Don't know who she decided upon in the end.

Cheers,
Wabble

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The little "Hussy"......prolly two timin' her mate! perhaps you should put up a "red light" and charge admission Richard. :tears-of-joy: ;):thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Saw these just outside our back door earlier….
6FF0F2AB-84C2-4FCF-B558-E3F6A8279A27.jpeg
Not a very good picture, but it’s feathered lollipops (long tailed tits) all over the fat ball feeder. Only three here but seconds before there were about eight!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No photo , as we all know what a Black Bird looks like from last year's photos
Just took some raisins out side , went back after getting a hand full of seed to find a male Blackbird eating away.
He didn't even move when I walked up and gave him the seed .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Saw these just outside our back door earlier….
View attachment 473826
Not a very good picture, but it’s feathered lollipops (long tailed tits) all over the fat ball feeder. Only three here but seconds before there were about eight!
Parliament in session perhaps...lollipops sound better than tits. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No photo , as we all know what a Black Bird looks like from last year's photos
Just took some raisins out side , went back after getting a hand full of seed to find a male Blackbird eating away.
He didn't even move when I walked up and gave him the seed .
With prices going up even the birds are desperate and hungry.

Cheers,
Wabble

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Male sparrowhawk?
Yes it was gold star on the way. In the first photograph, the one he's under the trees, he us eating his catch. A sparrow that he took mid-flight right outside the window. The little buggers nest up under the roof. One less today though.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
So saw this earlier this week, when out for a walk with Junior. We live near a canal and you often see these in the margins. Only a few days before I took this picture, I saw another when out for another walk with our friends and saw it catch a small fish.

ATB

Andrew