boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
wow Chris this is huge well done on it so far looking good with the primer
glad its you doing the lighting ,something I,m not have a good understanding in with
sorry so late into this one,like 40 pages ,keep up the good work, ;)

HELLO Monica really nice to see you on here im very surprised thanks for stopping an no need to apolagise about bein 40 pages late better late than never an thanks for your very kind comments an im not that brilliant at eletrics an lightin either but somehow I manage to get it all workin but this model is my last as getting on now an this is still 3 to 4 yrs away from bein finished that's if it don't finish me off first lol ;) :smiling2: hope you call in again soon anyway stay safe Monica ATB chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Chris
All this lighting is going to make for one very impressive model. I can imagine it already and it will look amazing. Plenty of work to be getting on with before the unveiling though.
Cracking stuff as ever.
Cheers
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris
All this lighting is going to make for one very impressive model. I can imagine it already and it will look amazing. Plenty of work to be getting on with before the unveiling though.
Cracking stuff as ever.
Cheers
Paul

HELLO Paul thanks for droppin in again always nice to see you an yes tiger should look good all lit up an on the water when an if it happens as there are still loads of lights to be fitted to her when most of the S/S is built but that's in the future but for now id be happy if I can get this filler sent so I can get on with the hull an I sent for 6 big tins of 500 mls of grey primer an they should have come today but no joy hopefully tomorrow anyway ATB stay safe
chris

B

bobnv

OK Bob i'll take your word for it as ive never heard of her many thanks for enlighting me something eles ive learned today cheers
ATB chris
Just don't let your wife find out about her, you will be rebuilding a house instead of building a boat oops ship, ships carry boats

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Excellent Chris, a true work of magic!!
HI Bob cheers for your kind comments on the model an yea its comin on just got to hope this bloomin filler will turn up so I can finish off the surfacein of this hull they are only tiny cracks an holes where I have glued the deck to the hull but its got to be done as they will show if I left them an its against my mojo method as a modderler so at the moment not a happy bunny will raise flags when it turns up lol
AN hope you feel better mate
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just don't let your wife find out about her, you will be rebuilding a house instead of building a boat oops ship, ships carry boats

AN HI Bob my wife jen don't know about her either so I can breathe a sigh of relief there so no worries an yes you are right it should be called a ship an not a boat as tiger has two 40ft cabin cruiser an 3 smaller boats on her deck in between her funnels with a big crane to lift an lower them in an out of the sea so ship it should be an thank you for droppin in on the thread nice to see you an chat to you
ATB Chris

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Chris,
I spent the whole morning on your build, going intently through the 42 pages of this tread, just stopping every 10/15 mins. to look after the asparagus boiling in the kitchen (insurance do not cover injuries caused by wifes upset by a distract husband :rolling: ).
The superlatives in my dictionary are not enough to express my full appreciation of your work.
I'm looking forward for the next steps and the launch. By the way, a "non-modelling" question: where is the pond where you sail your "creatures"? My "cat-like-curiosity" made me searching on google maps, but could not sort out where the pond is.
Will follow your progress with passion and thank you for your work.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
I spent the whole morning on your build, going intently through the 42 pages of this tread, just stopping every 10/15 mins. to look after the asparagus boiling in the kitchen (insurance do not cover injuries caused by wifes upset by a distract husband :rolling: ).
The superlatives in my dictionary are not enough to express my full appreciation of your work.
I'm looking forward for the next steps and the launch. By the way, a "non-modelling" question: where is the pond where you sail your "creatures"? My "cat-like-curiosity" made me searching on google maps, but could not sort out where the pond is.
Will follow your progress with passion and thank you for your work.

Hello Andrea nice to see you havin a look through the build an glad you like it an yes 42 pages so far an a lot more to come as this build will still be goin in 3to 4 yrs time as this is like all my builds a bit complicated as I like to make the whole model come to bits for servicen an such as with the case of all working models there is so much that can go wrong hence comin to bits so what ever has gone u/s can be fixed .As you would not weld the engine bonnet down on your car would you as you need access to check an fix things an that's the same with this model an this is only about a third built so far as I want to fit severall workin features an there is so much still to do on this build an its keepin me happy during lock down so many thanks for your intrest in the build an hope to see you on here again anyway im now getting on with the main hanger bay build will show some more pics when its lookin something ATB AN STAY SAFE
Chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Afternoon Chris.
Hope you and Jen are well , bet the garden in devoid of all weeds, we pounce on them as they appear :smiling3::nerd:

Shes's looking fine with her primer on, the substructure is brilliant , well done.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An hello again Andrea the ponds where I an my friends sail at are the first one an the biggest model pond is in UK NORFOLK NORWICH EATON park an im not a member at the moment but I think the NORFOLK Norwich model boats club have a site on the web an if you click that into your pc it will show all the club house an the large pond where we sail but its a bit of a job at the moment as the council has put down all double yellow lines down so we cant park near the pond. An the second smaller pond where we sail at is at Norfolk SHERINGHAM pond near the town cetnre but right near the beach AN THAT TO ME is the best pond as I can back my car right up to the pond edge an unload the ship an into the water without havin to carry the model to far so if you look up Norwich model boat club on the web I think its shows a map where the pond is but sherinham may not be marked on goggle ANYWAY SORRY THIS IS A BIT LONG WINDED but hopefully you will find the ponds on your maps STAY SAFE AN WELL
ATB Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Afternoon Chris.
Hope you and Jen are well , bet the garden in devoid of all weeds, we pounce on them as they appear :smiling3::nerd:

Shes's looking fine with her primer on, the substructure is brilliant , well done.

HI John nice to hear from you an many thanks for all the likes built my mojo well up to keep me at the build cheers an yes we are ok an as for weeds jen does that as well but we have cut our big lawn 60ft x40ft an the small lawn only 20ft long yesday an we mowed all the weeds down in the lawns so no problems with the weeds an we are now shattered cheers for your nice comments on tiger yes its comin on great anyway im now gonna get on with building the big hanger bays on her so bye for now stay safe
chris

Reactions: JR

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Thank you Chris, very kind of you. I found the site and marked it.
When I was a kid (in the '70s) my dad every year took me to the yearly show the Turin naval club held in a swimming pool; I can still remember boats and ships and tugs and submarines all perfectly reproduced and maneuvering; the final act was a naval battle with shots, explosion, sinking (on purpose) of some merchant ships torpedoed by some sneaky (as sneaky as an olympic indoor swimming pool crystal clear water allows) submarine and an amphibious assault with an LCT releasing its amphtracks in the water behind a smoke screen. Then the amphtracks reached the "shore" (a wooden incline linking the water to the pool edge defended by an erupting fire and smoke fortress in the Atlantic wall style, and the show ended.
That work of yours brought me back to those memories and it was as fine as enjoying your skilful work.
Hope you and your dears will stay safe and well.

• Wow

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI AGAIN Andrea yes im glad my tiger build has brought back those wondefull
memories of that ship battle when you was young an we have had some great naval battles on our Norwich pond on a warship week end as the Portsmouth display team came up an brought a 8ft HMS RODNEY an a HMS HOOD against the bismark an a prince eguin an a tirpitz an they were all big ships at about 8ft long an all the main guns fired an there was depth charges bein dropped in the water to get the subs an there was plenty of smoke an more smaller ships also joining in from the team wonderfull memories if I remember rightly as it was a few yrs ago but not to many ships bein built now as they like my tiger cost so much to build so some of the guys just building smaller boats about 3ft long which is a shame really any way enjoy the forum ATB STAY SAFE an your wife
chris

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I take a few days and you have almost built the front section.

Great work Chris.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I take a few days and you have almost built the front section.

Great work Chris.
HI Ian well I try not to be a slowcoach as for me this build is keepin me sane due to this lockdown an as ive said before I hope to finish this build in another 4yrs or so as I want to see this sailing before I exspire as im getting on so every day I build at least one part of the model as there is so much to do on it an thanks for stopping an havin a look
ATB Chris

• Haha

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Chris

Just caught up with this! Absolutely amazing!!!

How long will it be once built?

ATB

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

Just caught up with this! Absolutely amazing!!!

How long will it be once built?

ATB

Andrew

Hello Andrew cheers for your nice comments I think about 93" or just under 8ft long an about 10" beam so she is a fair size in 1/72 scale an I wanted her in this scale to match my Norfolk also in 1/72 scale so hopefully togeather they should look two crackin models if it all works out ok but still a lot can go wrong so im keepin my fingers crossed on that an thank you for stopping an havin a look at the build
ATB STAY SAFE chris

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hello Andrew cheers for your nice comments I think about 93" or just under 8ft long an about 10" beam so she is a fair size in 1/72 scale an I wanted her in this scale to match my Norfolk also in 1/72 scale so hopefully togeather they should look two crackin models if it all works out ok but still a lot can go wrong so im keepin my fingers crossed on that an thank you for stopping an havin a look at the build
ATB STAY SAFE chris

Chris

Thanks for the info. Not small is she!!

Keep up the good work.

Andrew