boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An lookin at the crown gears I realised id got the crown gears the wrong way round as the black one is smaller than the yellow one so the yellow one will turn the sharft quicker as its got more teeth so it goes to the top of the mast to turn the main radar an the yellow one centrall for nav radar I hope that makes sence
the yellow one an these gears have a allen grub screw fitted so they can be taken on an off IMG_5347.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN THEN IT HIT ME lookin at the plans I realised that I cant have a crown gear on the top of the mast as it just wont work the gearin for that main radar so I had a think an yes its got to be changed to a normal flat gear as the main radar sits on a inch long tube oh they had to make it more complicaited dint they bloomin boffins so the inch long sharft points upwards so another sharft needed to fit the small green gear IMG_5358.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
SO the green gear will turn the oppiste way to the main sharft so it turning right for the centrall yellow crown gear to work the nav radar so back to the top of the mast an its the green gear then should be turnin the right way to turn the main radar clockwise as all military radar turn that way I think well I think I need a rest (phew)IMG_5359.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL that it for this update an now ive got to do some testin to find out how all these gears will intereatacte an wheather the speeds will be corret but im havin FUN
a knackerde chris lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS well im still doin the radars on this latece mast an its provin a b**ger to get workin as I put this in chit chat about how I made a silly mistake by not fittin the allen grub screw to hold the main drive rod tight but got it sorted in the end here the servo motor an main 60 tooth gear to get the main shaft goin slowly IMG_5361.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an this is only a balsa sided gearbox just to see if it is goin the right speed IMG_5362.JPGan it is so I built a better one with hard wood IMG_5362.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
a rough bit of balsa to test if the shaft speed is right an it was ok so I could press on IMG_5367.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an as the main search radar is set well forward so it misses the rear mast I had to use these gears IMG_5369.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an on the plans its set up an inch higher an I also had to use a bit of modelers
licence as had to build a gearbox to cover up the gearing IMG_5371.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an on the very top it still needed two gear in a gearbox to make the radar go round the right way IMG_5375.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an here it is an it goes mainly ok but on one gear has a high point an jumps slightly but im hopin it will bed in when its been goin round a few thound times IMG_5376.JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That looks incredibly complex Chris. Nice work on the Radar array workings.
Cheers
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
well im ive done most of the work on that top radar so its down now to the halfway mark to fit on the navigation radar which is a bit smaller but first ive got to find an fit the right gears from those below IMG_5382.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That looks incredibly complex Chris. Nice work on the Radar array workings.
Cheers
Paul
HI Paul yes it is a bit complex but im enjoyin doin this but got to be carefull how I handle the whole affair as its a bit fragile at the moment an cheers for lookin in
chris