boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Chris, you're a master at masts and you really know your gear, all puns intended :smiling6: All the clapping has payed off and very well done...mind boggling though for me.:flushed:
Good thing you put up the plans of the mast and radar as they would be helpful to me when I tackle a US surveillance ship in 1/700 which has a massive radar mast and some of the equipment looks similar. They're basically converted WW2 auxiliary transports. This ship was used in Vietnam and basically covert so not much was said about it and little is known of it. The only high profile of their existence was when one was attacked by Israeli forces off the coast of the Gaza Strip/Israel. That made the news.
I met a fella who served on GSR1 in Vietnam as an Orderly Med. and asked if I could build one for him. He gave as much info as he could but it is quite vague so I snooped around and got much more info but the radar mast are in picture form only and no plans. I'll post the build once I get started on it.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Can't believe the amount of effort you put into everything you do.
HI Gregg well thank you for your nice comment on how much effort i put into my models as i love to make my models work if possible . AN NO INSULT INTENED to all the guys an gals that make kits on here as they make wonderfull models AN I LOVE TO LOOK AT THEM

but for me its not just glue the item in place an then carry on to the next bit BUT if my models are intendin to work then they must have access by screwin it down an not gluein as if any thing goes wrong then its a simple matter of just removin the screws an findin out an repairin whats gone wrong an so to do this its a lot more complex but i enjoy the challange if that makes any sence an thanks for lookin in on the build
ATB STAY SAFE
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Some excellent cutnfit engineering on display here. PaulE
HI PaulE cheers for your comments an very nice of you an yes this is mini engineering an i love tryin to work out how to do it all an doin it just to see if it will all work as some things dont but it doesnt happen often thank goodness as most things ive done have worked as i dont like to let a problem beat me if that makes any sence at all AN nice to see you drop in an im lookin forward to when you start your model railway again as it was nice to see how you went about things
ATB STAY SAFE
chris

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, you're a master at masts and you really know your gear, all puns intended :smiling6: All the clapping has payed off and very well done...mind boggling though for me.:flushed:
Good thing you put up the plans of the mast and radar as they would be helpful to me when I tackle a US surveillance ship in 1/700 which has a massive radar mast and some of the equipment looks similar. They're basically converted WW2 auxiliary transports. This ship was used in Vietnam and basically covert so not much was said about it and little is known of it. The only high profile of their existence was when one was attacked by Israeli forces off the coast of the Gaza Strip/Israel. That made the news.
I met a fella who served on GSR1 in Vietnam as an Orderly Med. and asked if I could build one for him. He gave as much info as he could but it is quite vague so I snooped around and got much more info but the radar mast are in picture form only and no plans. I'll post the build once I get started on it.

Cheers,
Richard

HI Richard well that was very witty of you an your puns as they gave me a good laugh well done an yes the clappin paid off but its terriblle if i get the shakes when tryin to fit in a tiny 3mm long screw in that very frigile mast thats when i just clap an hold my hands togeather an calm down as im nervous at the best of times an i try an laugh it off untill i feel i can carry on.

An glad to be of help to you on the plans with that mast hopefully they will be of help to you on your preposed ship you want to build an i hope it goes all ok an yes i will follow your build AN please pm me when you start the thread as i often miss the build as im busy on my tiger. AN if you want to see any other part of the plans just sing out which bit an i will post a pic of it for you .

An back to that mast there is a heck of a lot still to be built an fitted on it but for me the biggest problem will be fittin all the tiny 1mm red anticollishion LED's an the white steamin 1mm LED's lights as they all will have to have their own restitors an as the mast is open latice work so i cant just bundle them all in the mast bottom . So im thinkin of cutting off the resistors an markin which is which as the LED's are quite fussy an wont work unless they have their right resitor fitted

an then the positive wires will all come down the mast in a tube to the bottom to be fitted to some tiny eletric plugs an the negative wires will all be cut short an soldered to the brass mast an the mast will act as a negitive powerdown to the bottom of the mast where i will just solder one negiative wire to the eletric plug downtake into the main S/S but thats if it will all work out but in my mind it will so see how that goes in pracktical ? an if my therory is wrong any way sorry for running on an many thanks for your reply an nice to talk to you
ATB STAY SAFE
Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just read this from start to finish. I knew there would have to be a fair amount of work involved to build something like this, but what you've achieved so far is just mind boggling! Makes my efforts look like a child's first scribbles with a crayon!

Each to their own though. I bet I get as much enjoyment from my builds as you get from yours 'cos we're both doing stuff we enjoy - and working at levels that we're comfortable with.

HI Dave hope you enjoyed the build as much as i have an thank you for your comments sayin its mind boggling! well im tryin to build this ship to make as much work as possible an sail but as you say were both happy at what we are doin an thats the main thing as bein happy is most important an with your builds you make me have a good laugh which to me is very important in these tryin times an i think you are a very witty person on your builds an i enjoy them alot so keep up the good work
ATB stay safe
chris

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Chris.

Just to let you know though, I have done complex work such as yours but in a different field - I write the occasional crossword for The Times. That's the stuff that stretches my poor old tired brain so I know how you feel when you're working your way through your problems and the joy you feel when you find solutions.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
an a last shot of the mast as its beginning to look something now just glad I dint get the shakes today an I hope not tomorrow as ive got to get this radar workin
chris the radar kid lolView attachment 390108

Hi Chris, could you send by email more close up pics of of your radar maks, very impressive indeed, I will send you pics of my ships radar mastk to see if your's will work on mine very close . Tony very cold 1 degree

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, could you send by email more close up pics of of your radar maks, very impressive indeed, I will send you pics of my ships radar mastk to see if your's will work on mine very close . Tony very cold 1 degree

HI Tony yea no problem so what do you want close up pics of just the mast from differnt angles ? or the gears ? AN cold yea i know what its like an glad its gone but at the rate this yr is flyin through it will soon be back to winter an im dreadin that as ole dark nights will be back
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony yea no problem so what do you want close up pics of just the mast from differnt angles ? or the gears ? AN cold yea i know what its like an glad its gone but at the rate this yr is flyin through it will soon be back to winter an im dreadin that as ole dark nights will be back
chris

Hi Chris, what I want to see is a close up of the gearing and how you did it be awesome, will send you pics of the main mask of my build ,that be a while off have started work on the crew commendation deck .

Tonight I plan to cut out and glue two bulkheads on the other end of the section hull I am working on so I can join up all four sections that will make up the hull.

Do you have short days where the nights are longer, what time would the sun rise and set, we have had our shortest day o the 22nd of June now the days are getting longer.

Look forward to your email , more progress on the bridge today pics to follow, have posted more on the ship Thursday night updates.

Take care Tony.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL UPDATE time
well i cant carry on on the front mast mast as still waiting for some brass rod off ebay so ive moved back onto the rear main mast to try an build it an get both search radars workin an here what need to be built just the top half though a couple of plan shots first front veiw so can be seen what im tryin to acheiveIMG_5395.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
here a couple of shots of how this wil work it a brass box seckion fitted down in to a bit bigger brass box seckion so it will turn the shaft for the radars to work IMG_5397.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
close up shot with the bottom of the new mast ready to be built onto it an eletric plugs will come later IMG_5398.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
NOW here is most of the main components to build this mast as this one is covered in an is a lot easyier to build than the front latice mast includein the main shaft with the yellow crown gear on IMG_5399.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN had a think about access to the workin parts so ive fitted in some access hatches IMG_5400.JPG

First Name
Carl
Wow, this looks a very big project. I will watch with interest. Last time I built a ship was out of cardboard when I was about 13. Back in the day when money was short but cardboard boxes at the local shop were a plenty..

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an build an ive just laid on the plans to see if ive cut the main R-shaft the right height to the plans an it seems ok an the yellow the gear if now fitted on upside down so that it turns the rear height finder radar the right way as that clockwise IMG_5403.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Wow, this looks a very big project. I will watch with interest. Last time I built a ship was out of cardboard when I was about 13. Back in the day when money was short but cardboard boxes at the local shop were a plenty..
HI Carl yes its a fair sized project an its keepin me busy an yes i hope you do follow the build an glad you had a go at a ship was it very big ? an thanks for lookin in
cheers
chris