boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Chris. As I promised, here are some shots of my 5 sided broaches....

View attachment 407282

These are the ones I have, from really small (0.4 ish) to larger. As you can see, they are nothing like files. You can hold them in a pin Chuck, or between your fingers.

View attachment 407283
Here is a (hopefully) clearer shot of the biggest one. It shows that they are tapered with five equal flat sides. There are no teeth, the edges do the cutting. This enables you to gently increase the size of a hole, and the odd number of sides means it won’t drift off centre. Broaches are particularly useful if you want to make a hole big enough to take a wire of unknown size. You just drill smaller than the wire and broach the hole out to the size you want. For sheet work it can save you a lot on drills because these are more robust and you don’t need to keep every single size in stock. These are obviously no good for blind or deep holes though.

I find them an invaluable tool to have when dealing with etch, especially when building something with a lot of holes that need opening up. Well designed etch should always have undersized holes, because you can always open the holes to size, but if the sheet is over etched you can’t put anything back.....

Hope this helps
Very informative Tim. Something else to add to my to buy list.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris, If you had said they were kits I'd have believed you, as has been said some tricky angles to make it even harder .
Top work my friend .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, If you had said they were kits I'd have believed you, as has been said some tricky angles to make it even harder .
Top work my friend .
OH THANK YOU John sayin they look like kits very nice of you an i can tell you i wish they were but they are all scratchbuilt from platicard an boy were they awkward to build im gonna check on the plans tomorrow to make sure there are no more on there but i cant see any on the main ship picture so i think i'll stay sane lol
ATB chris

Reactions: JR

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
an here some of the other bits i been building as they cant be fitted yet but i thought id build them an get them out of the way an pack them away till they are needed oh i want to do something with eletrics aaarrrggghhh but thank good ness im now starting on the eletric coolin fans oh heaven lolView attachment 407973
HI Chirs, wow you are going great guns, what are those fitting anything to do with the guns, keep the pics flowing I love them , Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Chirs, wow you are going great guns, what are those fitting anything to do with the guns, keep the pics flowing I love them , Tony
HI TONY yea they are the guns fire controll systems an the back one are the fire controll system for the seacat missles system an im glad to see the back of them although they are not fininshed as a few more bits got to be fitted on but not untill they are painted
cheers Tony for havin a look in
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Blimey!
That's some SERIOUS scratchery, Chris.
AN HELLO Neil yea SERIOUS scratchery,building allright an it nearly got to much for me as these were really bloomin awkward to build an when i was building them it just seemed that i was stalled as each unit took so long to build after id built the two gun fire controll systems i was releived an then lookin at the plans only to see that there were two more mounting an fire controll units to build again Aaaaaarrrcchhh as my eyes nr popped out seein these but jen said they got to be built so it was stick at it till they nr done Oooooooohhhhhhh
an hope you like them Neil
chris

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good bit of progress on the fire control system Chris and once you get your eyes uncrossed you will be able to get on to bigger things. It's all the fiddly small things that end up making a model look great in the end....cheers for sticking with it! :thumb2: Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Good bit of progress on the fire control system Chris and once you get your eyes uncrossed you will be able to get on to bigger things. It's all the fiddly small things that end up making a model look great in the end....cheers for sticking with it! :thumb2: Rick H.
Many thanks Rick for your uplifting blog above as boy ive got plenty of patience as when i was building the first two gun fire controll systems an all those awkward angles i thought thank goodness ive managed to build them

As what with all the measruein an getting all tha angles right it seemed that i was getting nowhere an then to see another two needed to be built an their mountings was nearly to much as i dint enjoy building these as really they should have been made in a mould so all the angles are dead right instead of just tryin to get them right which i have but it was so boreing an like it was groundhog day every day an no eletric work on these

An they are not that small as they stand 3 an half inches tall an i had some bad new on top of that so that did not help but now im building the eletric fans coolin system to cool all four motors im a bit happyer so cheers Rick so onwards an upwards
ATB
Chris

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI again guys an i thought as the day went so well that
id do a birthday update on what ive done on her fans intake cooling system as it involves eletric hooray now the first shot is of the real ship an here she in a bit of a state i think she is being decomissioned as some of the things like i have just built have been taken off her an ive drawin on the pic the bit im now tryin to build an it says cooling fans intake here IMG_5883.JPG

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an they fit very close to the rear S/S but the fans still give a good blow in to which will be the down take to the main big 80 mm fan inside the hull an these will all be built in but i must built the rear big funnell first so i can see how much room i have for the fan tunnels intakes IMG_5870.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an here the big 12v 80mm fan that should blow coolin air arond the motors in the hull an so there is a circalation of air one of the rear apertrue cutout will not have a top fitted on it the the warm air can be blown out (hopefull ) as this idea work very well on my NIMITZ carrier IMG_5876.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an next a shot of what yet to be IMG_5878.JPGbuild the rear funnel today i also have made a start on the funnell formers as again they are a weird shape an first a shot of the plan from top veiw of these funnells