Did you see them coming?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul , Bored ! Never mate, it's always interesting to follow and see what you can come up with .
John

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work as always Scottie nice aftermarket stuff I always enjoy adding that kind of detail.

Hi Lee, thanks mate, I think I will stick to making my own in future.

Paul , Bored ! Never mate, it's always interesting to follow and see what you can come up with .
John

Thanks John, Keep on following but don't expect to much.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
I'm really looking forward to see what you do... :smiling:
By the way the company ABER does .50 cal ammo
1506_abe35A47b.jpg

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Scottie - etch ammo always looks a bit flat to me, because it is I suppose :rolling:

This set has some nice looking guns and ammo Miniart but even the vintage Tamiya US weapons set has some passable ammo belts

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hi Scottie - etch ammo always looks a bit flat to me, because it is I suppose :rolling:
I was about to say that too. In small scales like 1/72 it’ll probably work fine, but in 1/35 I find it’s just too obviously flat to look good.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yes, as Simon said, their plastic belted ammo is pretty round. I use their 30cal. for 20mm in my scale. Doesn't look bad. PaulE

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This set has some nice looking guns and ammo Miniart but even the vintage Tamiya US weapons set has some passable ammo belts

Thanks Simon, I will look into that set for future use.

I was about to say that too. In small scales like 1/72 it’ll probably work fine, but in 1/35 I find it’s just too obviously flat to look good.

Hi jakko, your right its one of the many things that etch is no good for.

Yes, as Simon said, their plastic belted ammo is pretty round. I use their 30cal. for 20mm in my scale. Doesn't look bad. PaulE

Paul, Its good how things can be repurposed from one scale to another.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
your right its one of the many things that etch is no good for.
Thirty years ago, I disagreed with that and used Verlinden etched ammo belts on models when I could afford to. Now, I don’t think I would :smiling3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Scottie, I know exactly what you mean. 1/35 scale 20mm turned brass and aluminum barrels are perfect for 37mm in 1-87 scale.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thirty years ago, I disagreed with that and used Verlinden etched ammo belts on models when I could afford to. Now, I don’t think I would :smiling3:

Jakko, I like to use etch as you know on my builds but a vast amount on the sprues is never used as the kit part is more than adequate or can be better represented with wire etc. I suppose in hind site I could have tried to impart some depth to the rounds by pressing a small drill in to them.

Scottie, I know exactly what you mean. 1/35 scale 20mm turned brass and aluminum barrels are perfect for 37mm in 1-87 scale.

Rick,
I have never really given this much thought as I only ever do 1/35 but does make for interesting reuse of some things.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I like to use etch as you know on my builds but a vast amount on the sprues is never used as the kit part is more than adequate or can be better represented with wire etc.
Agreed, most etched detail sets I’ve used over the years had a lot left over too because etched parts simply aren’t the best way to represent a lot of things.

I suppose in hind site I could have tried to impart some depth to the rounds by pressing a small drill in to them.
I was thinking too that it should be possible to emboss them to make them round(ish) and so a better representation than just the flat parts. But if it’s already stuck to the model, it’s maybe a thought for the next one :smiling3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Agreed, most etched detail sets I’ve used over the years had a lot left over too because etched parts simply aren’t the best way to represent a lot of things.

I was thinking too that it should be possible to emboss them to make them round(ish) and so a better representation than just the flat parts. But if it’s already stuck to the model, it’s maybe a thought for the next one :smiling3:

I might be able to unpick it and see what I can do. But your right it is a thought for the future

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Nice paint job. Gentle with the airbrush has given nice tones and allowed the preshade to show.
Jim

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
very nice color modulation... i can(t wait to see the weathering...