Dzhon Race. TIGER 1 Tamiya 1/35

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Mr R,

Bummer about broken sprocket :tired: Good to see you got it back together with out too much fuss and once dried and cleaned up it’ll look fine.
I think we should suggest a Ruski GB next....then you can build us something with less wheels and fiddly bits :nerd:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Good save on the sprocket John.

I hope your missing smoke launcher turns up. Try walking around barefoot. That's always a sure fire way to find lost Lego so maybe it'll work for stray Tiger parts

Don’t go barefoot in the garden though, especially in the dark ! I stepped on a frog a few weeks ago while getting bike out of shed....frog was ok but I fell into the door frame a buggered my knee!!
A few days later I stepped on a slug....slug wasn’t ok:tongue-out2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sag - good. Sprocket repair - good. Whats not to luv about Tiger's?? :smiling5: :cool:
Nothing, it's me Steve.
Quite honestly apart from the wheels been confusing I've enjoyed the upper section, and once you kindly sorted me out over the wheels, I enjoyed them ish :confused:
Not much gap to get the track in between the sprocket wheel and the track guard, the other track, which I showed, went in after I altered the angle I was holding the body at. As I said the Fruil tracks are so realistic, but trying to get that .5 mm brass wire in when you can hardly see the hole is not enjoyable.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Chris, Greg and Rick, for your support.
Andy, I think I have some spare tubes, so will not do the barefooted search, there's a good selection of sharp brass wire down there as well !
Nothing, it's me Steve.
Quite honestly apart from the wheels been confusing I've enjoyed the upper section, and once you kindly sorted me out over the wheels, I enjoyed them ish :confused:
Not much gap to get the track in between the sprocket wheel and the track guard, the other track, which I showed, went in after I altered the angle I was holding the body at. As I said the Fruil tracks are so realistic, but trying to get that .5 mm brass wire in when you can hardly see the hole is not enjoyable.
Don’t go barefoot in the garden though, especially in the dark ! I stepped on a frog a few weeks ago while getting bike out of shed....frog was ok but I fell into the door frame a buggered my knee!!
A few days later I stepped on a slug....slug wasn’t ok:tongue-out2:
Ha, Si sorry but that made me laugh, not about the poor frog, but the thought of you falling into the door frame. I do hope that you and the frame are ok .:flushed::surprised::smiling3::smiling3:

I've made good progress on the base, the building front is in work, road way and pavements ready to mould and scribe, and some paints on order from John.
I'd quite happly make buildings anytime !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
About time I showed what I've been up to in the cave.
Sprocket that I snapped of in trying to join tracks after removing a link was drilled straight through in to the hull, wiggled into position then a section of sprue used as a pin. This time the track went straight on :surprised::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3: and the sprocket turned, not only that one but the idler one started to turn as well. Happy days indeed.
I've started to do the weathering, now need to clean it up and concentrate on the finer points.

Building is well under way, this afternoon I did the cladding to the window openings, don't know if to do any windows, so ideas on that and anything else more than welcome.

2019_4.jpg

2019.jpg2019.jpg2019_2.jpg

John.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
and the awesomeness begins... well.... it never ends here with you guys...

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
For a Russian tank builder, I think you did a bang up job on this one JR. Can you say TIGER? T-I-G-E-R, very good!:tongue-out::tongue-out2::tongue-out3:
The building looks interesting, looking forward to seeing it play out. Oh, and some broken glass would be awesome in the windows.
Cheers, Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Moving wheels! You better be quick and get an engine in it and start her up :smiling5: :smiling2:

Nice to see an update on the architecture. Keep up the good work mate. Permission to carry on:tongue-out3:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi John,
All that kicking and screaming and then you pull this out the hat :surprised:
I think you have made an excellent job, the Tiger is looking superb :cool:

Love the building works too, great stuff :thumb2:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I wouldn't bother w/glass, just shoot up the walls some more & knock away some more of the knee walls. Mix some broken glass in with the rubble & burn the whole thing, leaving just the masonry. A JR exclusive. PaulE

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mighty fine work John. The Tiger is looking awesome.
Thanks Peter.
John,
Great work on the Tiger and another spectacular building underway
Cheers Paul.
and the awesomeness begins... well.... it never ends here with you guys...
:thumb2:Thanks Greg.
For a Russian tank builder, I think you did a bang up job on this one JR. Can you say TIGER? T-I-G-E-R, very good!:tongue-out::tongue-out2::tongue-out3:
The building looks interesting, looking forward to seeing it play out. Oh, and some broken glass would be awesome in the windows.
Cheers, Rick H.
[/QUOTE).
Rick , thanks, think I might put a few remains of window frames in, and loads of glass on the pavement .
Moving wheels! You better be quick and get an engine in it and start her up :smiling5: :smiling2:

Nice to see an update on the architecture. Keep up the good work mate. Permission to carry on:tongue-out3:
That's the way fwd from now on Steve.:smiling2:.:thumb2:.
Hi John,
All that kicking and screaming and then you pull this out the hat :surprised:
I think you have made an excellent job, the Tiger is looking superb :cool:

Love the building works too, great stuff :thumb2:
Well your right it had been stressful Si, but now the bit I really enjoy..:nerd:.
I wouldn't bother w/glass, just shoot up the walls some more & knock away some more of the knee walls. Mix some broken glass in with the rubble & burn the whole thing, leaving just the masonry. A JR exclusive. PaulE
Hi Paul, originally I'd thought about a complete building front, c/ w shop and interior showing, but then decided to do the more damaged version. Yes your right about knocking away some more of the masonary, going to do that after I've built the upper cornice to the top.

Thanks all, more later .
John.

First Name
Wouter
Hi John, nice work and that building will suit the Tiggy very well. Just one suggestion: If I were you I'd give the tow and track cables a different color: more like a dark brown/grey. The metallic makes in my opinion a bit too much of the appearance of a toy tank. Which is a shame because I really like the paintwork. Love the shade of the spare tracks on the turret btw.

Keep it coming Herr Hauptmann Race!

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Just caught up with all the ups and downs with this. Steps forward and backwards made me think I'd slipped into a Simon T build :smiling:
All looking good now. Nice paintjob :thumb2: Building already looking great.
Jim

First Name
Wouter
I think they just need dirtying.
Pete
My experience is that it'd hard to adjust. I did that with an Tiger II build in the past and even with pigments I didn't manage to get rid of the toy-ish effect . But we'll see which magic Mr. Race will pop out ^^

Cheers

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, nice work and that building will suit the Tiggy very well. Just one suggestion: If I were you I'd give the tow and track cables a different color: more like a dark brown/grey. The metallic makes in my opinion a bit too much of the appearance of a toy tank. Which is a shame because I really like the paintwork. Love the shade of the spare tracks on the turret btw.

Keep it coming Herr Hauptmann Race!

Cheers
Thanks for that Wouter. Thought it looked ok at first but can see what you mean, will do that tomorrow in-between making damaged window frames .

Hi John
Just caught up with all the ups and downs with this. Steps forward and backwards made me think I'd slipped into a Simon T build :smiling:
All looking good now. Nice paintjob :thumb2: Building already looking great.
Jim
Ha, it was indeed Jim, trying out several materials on the window frames, Balsa and of course plastic strip. Balsa's ok but cutting it to a thin section, even with the strip cutter can be problematic. Might resert to plastic strip tomorrow !

I think they just need dirtying.
Pete
Thanks Pete, will have play tomorrow.
My experience is that it'd hard to adjust. I did that with an Tiger II build in the past and even with pigments I didn't manage to get rid of the toy-ish effect . But we'll see which magic Mr. Race will pop out ^^

Cheers
Wouter, funny you should say that, I tried the other day to put an oil wash over the cables, it acheived nothing. If I'm going to repaint I assume I should re- varnish first to cover the oil ( assuming it's dry of course ) ?

First Name
Wouter
Wouter, funny you should say that, I tried the other day to put an oil wash over the cables, it acheived nothing. If I'm going to repaint I assume I should re- varnish first to cover the oil ( assuming it's dry of course ) ?
You could do that but it's not necessary per se. Generally when I have painted all the details like the tools I don't apply a layer of varnish. But if you want to be sure you can always apply a layer, it won't hurt ^^.

Cheers